Canada
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 196/591
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/59
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Took about 20mins to get out of house. Ate chocolate milk, + toast on way to event. 35 min drive. Got there about 5am. Parked. Went into transition. Blew up bike tires, and got water bottles ready. Checked bolts - esp seat.
Event warmup:

1/2 hour prior to start did 10 min easy jog to warm up. Then got into wetsuit. Spent about 10 mins in water (approx 200-300m) prior to starting. Got in a little early so had about 5-10 mins of standing before start.
Swim
  • 45m 30s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Placed myself quite far back at the start which was a mistake as I spent the first 200m swimming round people. After first bouy went right and found some space. Managed to get breathing under control and started to relax. Found distance between bouys difficult in terms of navigation but smaller yellow bouys helped with this. First ever 1.9km open water swim and only 3rd time I've actually swam the distance so overall I was really pleased. Would have stopped to kiss the ground if I wasn't being helped to pull off my wet-suit :)
What would you do differently?:

Build up confidence to deal with the washing machine start, and swimming close to other people. This would probably allow me get into a rythm earlier and possibly draft off better swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Run up jetty gave plenty of time to take top half of suit off. Wetsuit strippers helped a lot. Grabbed bag. Put on shoes (weren't allowed to leave on bike) after placing helmet and sunglasses. Picked up bike (volunteers were excellent again in finding bikes) before running out to road. Felt like it all took a while but given length of transition unsure I could have gone faster.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 04m 50s
  • 94 kms
  • 30.51 km/hr
Comments:

Felt good coming out of the water and immediately started passing people which was a mistake. Should have made to realise I was probably pushing a little too hard. Felt good up until about 70 km which is also the length of the majority of my training runs. I struggled to find time to get longer bikes in, and only actually completed two - one on the race route, and one of 120km prior to the event. Recovered a bit to finish strong along Glenmore.

I'm unsure given my training that I could have done anything differently on the day, other than possibly taken the first half more easily, but I think my split would likely have been the same. Before next event need to look at more long rides and taking it easy for first 10-20kms. Need to look at methods to achieve this - HR/Power etc.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Good transition. Stopped before starting the run to use the portapotty.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 50m 31s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

Hot! Again felt like I was going out a little fast but the first few kms is downhill. Was keeping good 5min/km pace for first 16kms and feeling ok until Heartbreak Hill. Managed to get ice at a couple of aid stations which was great. Was initially planning on running back up hill from Weaselhead but half-way up HR was hitting 176, and I was starting to feel faint so I decided brisk walking was more sensible .... Spectator support as the steepness started to ease off managed to get me running again but was definitely starting to feel the pain. Thankful for last aid station. Managed to up pace right at end when only person who would have passed me on the run tried to do so with 200m to go. Dug deep because it wasn't going to happen ;)

Wasn't prepared to run that hard in that heat. On hot days did most of my running early or late to avoid the hottest weather. Only second half-marathon race I have completed and did it in about the same time (after the swim and bike) so overall still pleased with the result.
Post race
Warm down:

Poured several cups of water over my head to cool me down, and immediately drank a couple more. Drank some Powerbar Ironman Perform while walking around for 5-10 mins.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of familiarity with distance and pacing involved. Not enough long bike rides. Heat.

Event comments:

Hands down the best thing at this event were the volunteers. They always appeared to be there when you needed them most. Big thanks to all of them. I will definitely remember my first 70.3. I entered for this event 9 months ago to get back into shape after injuring my back a few years ago. At the time I was unable to swim 25m, I had never biked 90kms, and it was over 10 years since my last competitive running event. There were times I was unsure whether I'd make it, even on the day I was definitely nervous starting the swim. I found the day hard, definitely amongst the most phsically and mentally taxing events I have ever done. But I did have time in the day to smile, and can't wait until the next time!

Last updated: 2010-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:30 | 1900 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 43/59
Overall: 340/591
Performance: Average
Goal time 45mins Av HR 144, Max 165
Suit: BlueSeventy Reaction
Course: Straight out from jetty before left turn. Under bridge, two right turns, back under bridge before final right turn back to jetty.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:50 | 94 kms | 30.51 km/hr
Age Group: 43/59
Overall: 305/591
Goal time 3.10 Av HR 148, Max 164
Wind: Some
Course: 8-10 km of reasonably flat road before turning left and climbing for next 15km or so. Approx downhill into Cochrane before largest hill of the course. Then downhill past Springbank Airport. A short climb to reach Lower Springbank before the final leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:31 | 21.08 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 21/59
Overall: 110/591
Goal time 1.45 Av HR 163, Max 176
Course: Loop through North Glenmore park, before descending into Weaselhead. Climb back out on other side of reservoir. At 10.5km loops back through Weaselhead, before final loop through North Glenmore
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-02 10:07 AM

Calgary
Subject: Ironman Calgary 70.3

2011-08-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3625321

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Calgary 70.3

congrats on a great race! it was a hot one out there, but you said it perfectly, the volunteers were exactly where you needed them, that heartbreak hill was brutal!

congrats on 70.3 number one!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Calgary 70.3 Rss Feed