General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 33s
Overall Rank = 73/328
Age Group = Superhero
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Weird. I was totally out of my element with a prior day set up point to point tri.

drove out to alum put bike in and grabbed registration.

rode my commuter bike downtown to hang my bag. i put a double sided photo of Aquaman on it to make it easier to spot.

ate regular

got to bed o time
up at 5:20. drove to alum, saw the line at chips / markings. i don't do lines so i set up my T1 then when there was no line i got chip/mark

race started a little late
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 24m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Plan was swim strong not all out as always. I threw up a little on the first lap - I was on the end of 3 days of GI issues.. by the second lap the high water temp was getting to me.

i was annoyed with the non swimmers. though USAT rules state bottom can be used for forward progress- i believe the intent was for entering and exiting the water. but people will always use loop holes in rules and laws. also they specifically said that no one was to be shallower than the markers to avoid water running. MANY people were violating this event rule. no one was penalized. What kills me more are the people who defend this form of cheating.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I put on an Aquaman costume in T1 which more than doubled my usual T! time.

The time is and estimate based on the difference of my watch reading of 27:xx min when I mounted my bike and the posted swim time.

No official T1 time given.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 44s
  • 24 miles
  • 23.21 mile/hr
Comments:

time i posted is official time minus estimated T1 which was included in bike.

i am becoming a much better biker.

i did lose my chain early on but quickly got back on course

also the past 2 races I have put more pressure in my tires which i believe has made a difference

better gear choices
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

i came into this easy as planned. found my gear easily. but then took longer than i should have to get my socks and shoes on.

need to practice t2 - this was weak. i could have placed 2 higher overall just by correcting this.
Run
  • 44m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

i had fun with this. i didn't push myself too hard - i was already guaranteed a win in my group of 1. i am still on the mend from a foot injury (almost gone). i was waving and talking to people dressed as Aquaman - I wanted to have fun with it. In the end i was pleased with my pace.

it was very hot and i was wearing a long sleeve non wicking shirt and long light with fins.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

rode my bike 19 miles back to alum creek

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Costume

Event comments:

I liked the actual ride and the run was pretty good. the swim needs to be deeper - period. I DO NOT CARE how the pros did. It would be nicer to have an award ceremony for amateurs. after all they are the ones paying for the race with entry and they are the target marketing audience for advertisers.

Post race food from Giant Eagle was great.

Overall I think it is a nice race but I don't know if I would do it again due to logistics.

Last updated: 2011-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 89/328
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:44 | 24 miles | 23.21 mile/hr
Overall: 86/328
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: course was fast. net loss of elevation and few turns. also i have this as 24 miles on my trip comp and USATF mapping tool - not 24.85 miles
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 78/328
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-02 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-08-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3625461

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course
So the Sunday tri racers didn't get an awards ceremony either? That's not cool. I figured we didn't get one on Saturday because they wanted us out of the venue to let you guys start checking your bikes in to T1. But to not have one for everyone in an event the size of Sunday's race is just crazy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed