General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Woes (family/work vs training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-02 12:36 PM

Subject: Training Woes (family/work vs training)

Trying to deal with training combined with family commitments and a new home has been tough this year.  Since April, I probably have 40 miles run, and 100 miles biked.  Less than a mile in the pool.  We have let our gym membership lapse, so no pool option now.  Im only 10 lbs heavier than last years race weight, but that feels like a ton.

Basically, I’m way under trained for a tri.  I feel confident that I have hung onto enough fitness to finish my race (1/3, 14, 5k), but I’m also confident that I’m going to finish BOP overall, not just my AG.  I’m not even sure I’ll be close to last years times. Every time I get into a groove, something pops up with the kids, or the lawn needs to be mowed, or something needs to be done in the new house…. I just can’t stay consistent.    

Part of me says HTFU and train my butt off for the next month, and go into it hard.  Another part of me says use this as a good experiment to go all out on the bike, or sit back on the bike and try to run just below puke level… and one other part of me wants to take the whole thing easy, and “see the scenery” so to speak. I’m not quite type A, personality, call me B+… I am competitive, but I’m realistic too. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  How did you approach the race?  Can you take a year “off” like this and come back the next year?  I still LOVE training, and the excitement of the race… it’s killing me that I can’t make the time…  

2011-08-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3625622

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Woes (family/work vs training)
Right there.  Too much going on this summer, so I haven't been getting time in.  Still manage to get decent runs in, but haven't been on the bike  in three weeks and swimming is virtually non-existant.  Have a tri on the 13th that I'm under-trained for, so it should suck pretty bad.  Pretty much just looking to an "A" race duathlon in September and fall running races.
2011-08-02 12:55 PM

User image

Runner
If it were really killing you, then you would push it further up on your list of priorities. It sounds to me that you have other priorities that are, in fact, more important to you than racing and training.

And that's great. In fact, I can relate completely.

I think that you're just not being honest enough with yourself, and that you are beating yourself up over nothing. You missed training. So what? In the grand scheme, it was probably far more important to the people that matter most to you that you made the decisions that you did.

As for doing the race, again, I think it comes down to priorities. If your priority is to do a race, just to prove that you can do a race on inconsistent training, then by all means go for it. If, however, your goals are to try to get back into shape, start working on your consistency, and try to lead a healthy lifestyle, then I would consider skipping the race and focusing instead on getting back into the habit of training.

It's perfectly OK to feel a level of remorse for missing training. Just don't dwell on it, and don't let it trick you into doing something that's not going to provide anything of benefit.
2011-08-02 1:27 PM

Veteran
I disagree with skipping the race.  There's nothing wrong with changing your priorities.  If you don't feel you can go all out, there's nothing wrong with taking it easy and enjoying the day, especially if you have friends or family racing too.  I find a nice day with family and friends to be of great benefit.
2011-08-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3625678

Master
Houston, TX

Scout7 - 2011-08-02 12:55 PM If it were really killing you, then you would push it further up on your list of priorities. It sounds to me that you have other priorities that are, in fact, more important to you than racing and training. And that's great. In fact, I can relate completely. I think that you're just not being honest enough with yourself, and that you are beating yourself up over nothing. You missed training. So what? In the grand scheme, it was probably far more important to the people that matter most to you that you made the decisions that you did. As for doing the race, again, I think it comes down to priorities. If your priority is to do a race, just to prove that you can do a race on inconsistent training, then by all means go for it. If, however, your goals are to try to get back into shape, start working on your consistency, and try to lead a healthy lifestyle, then I would consider skipping the race and focusing instead on getting back into the habit of training. It's perfectly OK to feel a level of remorse for missing training. Just don't dwell on it, and don't let it trick you into doing something that's not going to provide anything of benefit.

^^^This.

There is nothing wrong with putting real life responsibilities ahead of your extra curricular activities.

2011-08-02 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
First off please know that you are not alone. I myself got started on my training early this time around so as to avoid being under trained for my tri next week. Then life happened!!! Spring and summer brought friends and family to town. My schedule that I was keeping to so well went out the window and I all but missed the entire month of June!!! I got back on my horse and July has been better, but not perfect by any means. I'm not where I was hoping to be, but I'm going to get out there next week and give it all I have and have a great time!! The trick with training for such a demanding sport is having family on board. As far as around the house and work demands. Training sometimes has to be at odd hours so as to not interfere with daily activities. I can't tell you how many times I've had to sacrafice a couple of hours of sleep to get a run, bike or swim done. You'll find a rhythm with your new home and family activities, don't worry. Oh and have a great race!!

2011-08-04 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

I can completely relate.  I trained like crazy from January until June and had a pretty good sprint race in June, but that wasn't close to my A race (which is coming up in 2 1/2 weeks).  I had a week long family vacation in July so I purposely didn't schedule any races in July.  I had planned to squeeze in a little training on that vacation but it didn't happen.  That had followed 2 weeks of illness after that first race where I had substandard training.  So 3 1/2 weeks of low quality or no training.  After 3 more weeks I felt like I was back on track, then I just got over a period of 5 days with no training.  I spent all day doing some long overdue yard work last Saturday which left me with no energy to train that day.  Followed by 4 days of family stuff.  Amazingly I got back into it tonight and had a great run.  Hopefully I can hit the bike in the next day or two and find that I'm ok there too.

This summer in particular has been crazy busy on the weekends with family stuff.  My weekly training has been good but getting those longer sessions in on the weekends has been hit or miss.  I almost think I should schedule my A races in June, then play it by ear the rest of the season.

2011-08-05 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France
don't change your priorities , just your expectations of yourself. Race if you can. Train when you can, but let go of the pressure. You have a lot going on in your life that rightly should take precedence. Getting the house in order this year, will allow you a better year training next year. Sit and talk with your partner about your common goals. I would imagine family and work first. Keep your hand in so to speak even if you only run once week, try to make it regular and consistent. Train less but consistently. Use this time as building your future for your family and learning a little about yourself through your consistency.. If it really all gets too much, make up a plan of things that have to be done, and things that would be nice to be done. Sit with the missus and find out how much time it leaves you for training. I would personally do a lot of taking in the scenery, it can teach you a lot and help get your head ready for when you are ready to go hard.
2011-08-05 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3625871

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France

Cochip - 2011-08-02 9:28 PM I can't tell you how many times I've had to sacrafice a couple of hours of sleep to get a run, bike or swim done. You'll find a rhythm with your new home and family activities, don't worry. Oh and have a great race!!

Speaking from experience, this is one thing you should not be sacrificing. Sleep is when our body recovers and builds new muscle.

2011-08-05 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
My last month has been brutal with training but I will offer my thoughts. I try to steal time where I can so that it has little or no impact on my family. This morning I rode into work leaving at 6. Normally I would have breakfast with the kids but mornings are rushed anyways so its not really "quality time". I will leave work 1 hour early so I am home about 30minutes later than usual. So in essence I get 5 hours training with a family time loss of about 45minutes. I do a lot of my running after 8:30pm which is after the kids are in bed and my wife is studying. so I typically get 30-90 minutes with no family time loss. I also did my first lunch hour run at work which is a 0 family time loss. Swimming is difficult and I have slacked off in a HUGE way. I like OWS which is generally not a good idea at night so I go in the mornings of the weekends, I also run sometimes with a running club on Sunday mornings for 1 - 2 hours. Its not perfect but it can work if you really try to maximize your time.
2011-08-05 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Warwick, RI

I was right where you are the last year and a half. My wife being pregnant and then having a newborn takes priority over racing but I didn't want to give it up completely and I had already signed up for a couple of races. Decided I paid the money to race so I was going to go and just have fun. I did a HIM way under trained, had a great swim, a good bike and an awful run. Then about a year after that (same month my daughter was born) I did an Oly with zero training and about 30 extra pounds. Finished, but it was horrible. Slow trudging everything, I was embarrassed to have an Ironman tattoo on my calf. In hindsight I would have skipped that one.

I'm back in the swing of things this year, though I have a lot of ground to make up weight and overall fitness wise. I started a sprint training plan because the short workouts are a good balance at this point for me and I intend to stay on it right through the winter and bump it up in spring. The wife has been forewarned of IM #2 in 2-3years, but I'm going to have to get my workouts done basically when the family is sleeping (early morning or late night), seems to be the best way option for me to get the time I need.

So to answer your questions; Familiar: yes, very.  Race: I'd go and have fun, you may surprise yourself.  Come back: Yes, I think you'd be fine next year as long as you plan well for the off season, even doing 30-60mins a day will help maintain fitness so you're not starting from scratch next year.

Good Luck!

-Dave

Edited by RI_Tri22 2011-08-05 9:48 AM

2011-08-05 10:08 AM

User image

Pro

Sometimes a race is the best motivation. Personally I have trouble with anything that isn't goal-oriented, training included. So I have to do a race at least once a month to stay on track. Sometimes it's an "A" race, sometimes it's to do something different, and sometimes it's just to be with friends.

This year I did a spring marathon with a friend who was trying to qualify for Boston. We had run together all last year and I BQ'd and she missed it by 3 minutes. So I offered to pace her, which forced me to keep running through the winter and cross-train on the bike using the trainer. My normal routine is to take 2 months off and put on 10 pounds. By not doing that I was able to jump from the marathon right into triathlon training and start out in the best shape ever. So goal-oriented training works for me.

2011-08-05 10:41 AM

Real life is the whole reason I stopped attempting to train for a triathlon altogether.  It's too much of a time investment for some of us (right now).  So, I have just gone back to all running.  Life's too short to put the most important things (family) down your priority list.
2011-08-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3630531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

kevkelsar - 2011-08-05 10:41 AM Real life is the whole reason I stopped attempting to train for a triathlon altogether.  It's too much of a time investment for some of us (right now).  So, I have just gone back to all running.  Life's too short to put the most important things (family) down your priority list.

I'm thinking this is where I'm headed after my race in August is done.  Running and weight training and that's it.  Maybe bike here and there for the enjoyment of it, swim if I feel like getting away from the office at lunchtime, but not make either one of them regimented.  Keep up a good healthy exercise regimen but lose the "gotta keep getting better, make sure I'm race-ready" mentality.  My boys are all at an age now (5, almost 7, and 9) where they are old enough that it's fun to do stuff with them and they actually want me to (unlike say a few years down the road).  I've managed to pull it off so far over the past year or so, but it hasn't left a whole lot of room for much else as far as some of the other things I enjoy doing.

2011-08-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3630699

User image

Pro
mjohnson30 - 2011-08-05 12:11 PM

kevkelsar - 2011-08-05 10:41 AM Real life is the whole reason I stopped attempting to train for a triathlon altogether.  It's too much of a time investment for some of us (right now).  So, I have just gone back to all running.  Life's too short to put the most important things (family) down your priority list.

I'm thinking this is where I'm headed after my race in August is done.  Running and weight training and that's it.  Maybe bike here and there for the enjoyment of it, swim if I feel like getting away from the office at lunchtime, but not make either one of them regimented.  Keep up a good healthy exercise regimen but lose the "gotta keep getting better, make sure I'm race-ready" mentality.  My boys are all at an age now (5, almost 7, and 9) where they are old enough that it's fun to do stuff with them and they actually want me to (unlike say a few years down the road).  I've managed to pull it off so far over the past year or so, but it hasn't left a whole lot of room for much else as far as some of the other things I enjoy doing.

The kids will ALWAYS want to do things with you if you show interest. Just that they will also have their own interests. The real question is whether or not you're interests supercede their interests, and how important is it to you to make the time with them quality time. I mean not checking email, making business calls, etc. Been down this road, it's a dead end. Glad I got the wake-up call. 

My boys are 15 and 18 now and we have a great time together. It's actually easier as they get older. They have their own agendas, especially when it comes to the oldest and his girlfriend, but we work at it. If it means getting up at 5am on the weekends to get a long run or bike in, so be it. I just had to make a choice between doing LiveStrong or taking them white water rafting and paintball. Only weekend we have free between their summer jobs and school. Am I bummed that I have been riding the road bike hard and getting ready for that event? Sure. I can always do another race or ride, but the latter is something we'll have memories of together and it's not just about me.

My dad and I used to train and run races together, including a couple half and full marathons. He can't run anymore but it's something we always had.

You get it. Be proud.

2011-08-05 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston
chandy14ski - 2011-08-02 1:36 PM

Trying to deal with training combined with family commitments and a new home has been tough this year.  Since April, I probably have 40 miles run, and 100 miles biked.  Less than a mile in the pool.  We have let our gym membership lapse, so no pool option now.  Im only 10 lbs heavier than last years race weight, but that feels like a ton.

Basically, I’m way under trained for a tri.  I feel confident that I have hung onto enough fitness to finish my race (1/3, 14, 5k), but I’m also confident that I’m going to finish BOP overall, not just my AG.  I’m not even sure I’ll be close to last years times. Every time I get into a groove, something pops up with the kids, or the lawn needs to be mowed, or something needs to be done in the new house…. I just can’t stay consistent.    

Part of me says HTFU and train my butt off for the next month, and go into it hard.  Another part of me says use this as a good experiment to go all out on the bike, or sit back on the bike and try to run just below puke level… and one other part of me wants to take the whole thing easy, and “see the scenery” so to speak. I’m not quite type A, personality, call me B+… I am competitive, but I’m realistic too. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  How did you approach the race?  Can you take a year “off” like this and come back the next year?  I still LOVE training, and the excitement of the race… it’s killing me that I can’t make the time…  

I have two young kids (5 and 8), own a business, and just trained for quite some time for IMLP in July.  I can say that it was EXTREMELY tough to get in the workouts (especially the longer ones) and it still caused a lot of tension in our relationship.  And I was lucky enough to get most of the longer workouts in on a Friday or Monday to keep weekends free.

That being said, I didn't perform as well as I would have liked to since I had to put family and work first on many occasions and missed a number of key workouts.

The saving grace is that my wife and family came with me to Lake Placid and my wife had the opportunity to talk to a LOT of "Tri Widows" there - all of whom had similar experiences.  She really began to understand that although it is somewhat of a selfish hobby, it really means a lot to me and she saw how others dealt with it.  She also found a few blog posts and other helpful advice.

The result?  Instead of being resentful of my workouts, she is now both supportive and encouraging.  We decided to communicate better in advance of signing up for any races and involving my family much more in my workout schedule so we can all plan better.

As such, I schedule my workouts now in the same way I schedule a meeting with a client, kids birthday party, etc...  You put it in your calendar and stick with it. 

Family ALWAYS comes first.  Those are moments you never get back and you need to be flexible.  However I've found that by scheduling my workouts my family and co-workers will help work around that schedule.  I think you can always "find" time (that half hour of TV, etc...) but you really need to commit to it.

If I had to choose it would be family 100% of the time.

Not sure if that helps, but that is the change that I went through this past year that helped me put everything in place.

2011-08-05 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
A lot of good insight has been shared here already, I would just caution against the balls out with no training scenario you mentioned. Race how you trained, make it light and if you want to jump back in you'll have a benchmark to crush. When I got into this I worried tons about my time commitments to 3 kids, wife, job, dog, etc. But found that no one was looking for me at 4:30 anyway, except for the dog he can run some (unlike the good-for-nothing 1,3, and 5 yearolds :-) )I pulled off a 26.2 with a buddy on a dare some years back with the notion that id just run till I puked. I did puke and finished at over 10min/mile even though the 1st 17 were at 8 min or so, so the end was pretty ugly. Instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment, I was embarrassed, not for for my time but my behavior. A lot of people trained very seriously for their day and I had to hide from the earnest man warming up for his first 5k while I smoked my last cigarette before race time. Now when I toe the line, I want to feel I belong there, even though im fatter and slower.My point is; why set yourself for hard times? If you can train easy, race easy. Also, getting to a place to exercise is a time sink. You can run and bike from home and waste zero time. I guess swimmings still a little tricky but maybe at worst you travel 2xmonth to a Y or something.Either way, good luck to you The point I meant on the marathon debacle was that I didn't run for years, thinking "why would I want to do that again". Now that im up off my I want to see what that distance feels like with sufficient training....

Edited by bdenehy 2011-08-05 3:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Woes (family/work vs training) Rss Feed