General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport, Rhode Island
United States
Naval Station Newport MWR
Total Time = 1h 13m 12s
Overall Rank = 80/276
Age Group = 10-29
Age Group Rank = 2/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 after a terrible night's sleep. Note to self, do not register for a HIM the night before a race. Ate a banana with peanut butter, packed a waffle and peanut butter and left.
Event warmup:

A little swimming to make sure I wouldn't freak in the water. A little chilly to start, but not bad.
Swim
  • 11m 43s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't own a wetsuit, so I went without it for this race. No issues with sighting. Caught some feet for the first leg of the race which was nice, but lost them around the buoy. Threaded the needle through a couple of breast strokers without losing a kidney. All in all a good swim for me 15 seconds/hundred faster than I was swimming last year!

Waves were set up in the order you registered, so you weren't with you AG or anyone you normally expected to be with. Easy for the RD, but odd for the participant.
What would you do differently?:

Wetsuit might have made me faster if I owned one, but it was fine without.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Long run to T1, no issues.
Bike
  • 35m 45s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Really pushed the bike, was disappointed in my last tri when I averaged 16mph, so I wanted to do better. Fast course - a few rollers but nothing of major note. Played leap frog with another racer - he needed some hill work because I blew past him on every uphill. For only having ridden hills for 3 months, that made me feel pretty good.

Look into getting aerobars - 17.6mph isn't bad without them though.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Left the shoes on the bike, ran in and ran out. Seemed to go well. I wish they had kept track of transition times.
Run
  • 25m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

A few rollers - nothing terrible, but awfully narrow in some spots. I carried my own drink and was glad - all they had were plastic cups that you couldn't bend and then had a beast of a time not spilling them all over you. A lot of dead end/turn around points at this race, 3 of them I think, which lets you see a lot of other racers, but not my favorite style. Long uphill before the downhill finish, was glad when it was over.

My run improved a minute over a 3 mile run in a sprint last year which was good. The time still seems slow to me though because I can run 3 minutes faster in a stand alone 5k. I'd like to get into the 23/24 minute range for a sprint tri run.
Post race
Warm down:

PANCAKES! If for no other reason to do this race, do it for the IHOP pancakes at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much - was a really good effort on my part and I'm proud of my 2nd place AG. Does it still count as a podium finish if they only gave awards to the 1st place finishes?

Event comments:

Wish I was going to be around next year to do it again. Would highly recommend and very beginner friendly.

Last updated: 2011-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:43 | 586 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/276
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:45 | 10.5 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:45 | 03 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-02 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-04 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3625872

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon
Nice job Maggie!  I agree about transition times and the wave assignments are just weird.  Congrats on placing 2nd in your AG.  You rock!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed