West End Management
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 12m
Overall Rank = 2645/5920
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 222/409
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Westin, which was about 8 blocks away from the start. Woke up around 4:30AM, put on all my race gear, glide, bandaids, KT tape, etc. Drank a couple cups of Powerade, ate some peanut butter and sucked down a GU pack.
Event warmup:

Our warmup was the brisk 8 block walk to the start line. Since we were runnning a little late, we didn't have time for any other warmup, but the walk was sufficient.
Run
  • 4h 19m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was my first full marathon, I was cautious about going out too fast. I needed to make sure I didn't get too excited. My run went well, despite feeling some ankle discomfort starting around mile 8. I figured the pain wasn't going to go away, so I knew I was going to just have to suck it up and deal with any pain that was going to come my way the next 18 miles. The first half went well and I resisted the urge to go out faster. I truley underestimated the number of short hills on the second half of the marathon. It wasn't the climbing that was a problem, it was the jarring decents that gave me problems. I was hoping to finish under 4 hrs...obviously didn't hit my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Do more hill training...mix more climbs into my training runs.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of getting funneled through the end of the race and looking for the rest of my running group that ran the 1st half marathon. I met up with them almost immeditely, as they arrived at the finish line almost exactly the same time I exited. We then started our 8 block walk back to the hotel. After we all showered, we had some awesome burgers down the street from the hotel, then proceded to cover another 6-7 miles total, as we walked to Chinatown and back backdown Union Square.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Discomfort in my right ankle starting at mile 8, also still had some tightness and soreness from Piriformis Syndrome, which caused my hamstrings to feel extremely tight around mile 24. The hills probably added to my pain, but everyone else running the full marathon had to run the same exact hills as I did, so I can't complain about the route.

Event comments:

The actual race was great. Now I know why the theme is , "Worth the Hurt", because this race caused some pain. The course was very humbling. The expo, some of the pre-race organization and the post-race activities weren't that great. In fact the expo was the worst one I've ever been to. Last year's was much better. This will probably be the last time I run SF for quite a while.

Last updated: 2011-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:19:53 | 26.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 227/409
Overall: 2656/5920
Performance: Average
Split Times 7.4 Mi: 1:07:38 Pace: 9:09 Half: 2:00:54 Pace: 9:14 20 Mi: 3:08:22 Pace: 9:26
Course: Lot's of hills...mostly short with a couple of longer climbs. The first 13.1 is very scenic and you get to run by all the famous iconic landmarks of San Francisco (The Embarcadero, Pier 39, Goldengate Bridge, etc). The second 13.1 was a bit of a challenge, with 4 miles winding through Golden Gate Park, then heading through the city, which included running through the Haight/Ashbury district , tehn heading west back to the Embarcadero and behind ATT Park. The second half seemed like there was a climb at each turn, until we reached mile 24. A very challenging course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes