Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is getting a PhD mid-life worth the time/expense? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-04 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: Is getting a PhD mid-life worth the time/expense?

Obviously, 'worth' can be interpreted as either monetarily or regarding time spent. 

I spent 5+ yrs in the Army and got out in 2009 in order to go back to school for my PhD.  I was accepted into some of the top schools in the country for the field I was looking at (Medical Physics), and was able to choose between Columbia, MIT, UW-Madison, UT and Vanderbilt.  I chose Vanderbilt and moved to Nashville.  Unfortunately, Nashville wasn't a great place for job hunting in 2009 and my wife could not find a job after 8 months of job hunting.  We were out of money and facing either long term separation so she could work elsewhere while I went to school or I could drop out.  Because my marriage is more important than anything, I chose to drop out and get a job.  Great decision, even if it was incredibly difficult.

Fast forward exactly 2 years.  I've worked for a big corporation making very good money.  My wife also works here making even more than I do.  I've never lost the drive/desire to return to school, but am finding it difficult to justify the time it will take.  When I quit before, I was able to lie to myself that it wouldn't have been worth it anyway because I'd never make up the money I would make by working for those 5yrs instead of going to school, but deep down, it's never really been about the money anyway.

So here I am, applying for school again to return to get my PhD in Applied Physics.  I despise my current job/employer and know that I can't continue doing this long term.  However, I'm worried about going through this process only to realize later on that I should have just stuck with the misery of my current situation instead of thinking the grass would be greener.  The logistics should work out due to having some very good schools in the immediate vicinity (Rice, TAMU, UT, UH).

Is going back to school mid-life a foolish choice?  How do schools view candidates who have been away from academics for a longer period of time?  Is that balanced by the real life experience or is it preferred to have students coming straight out of undergrad?

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

2011-08-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3628967

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Is getting a PhD mid-life worth the time/expense?
Honstly, only you can answer the "Is it worth it?" question.  To me sounds like you in your heart already know the answer to that question, for you.

As far as how do schools view "older" non-traditional students, I don't know about in the Ph.D hard science fields but I can speek about Law Schools.  Most Law Schools tend to take pride in their non-traditional students.  And yes life experience can make up for acedemic issues when there has been a significant gap between school attendance.

Schools seem to be really focusing on diversity now.  So they seem to like non-traditional students. 

God luck in the Ph.D program....
2011-08-04 11:56 AM

User image

Elite

Mid life.. I would say yes. I had a similar decision... I wanted an engineering degree. However, quitting work to get one was not an option. I do pretty good in my field and thought that while engineering would basically be a career change, that my experience in the field would not be a waste.

Yet to me it is nothing but dollars and cents... it finally got to a point where the time and money needed to work and go to school, then jump on a different ladder to climb was not going to pay off compared to what I was going to be making anyway.

So for you, does not sound like you would be jumping on a different ladder, just making the one you are on taller. You can do it in a short time if I assume correctly that you can go to school full time. It would increase you employment options over a much longer time span compared to me (plus I was unwilling to move to make that work better)... dollars and sense wise it makes plenty of sense.

Personal accomplishment... well that only you can answer that. I do regret not getting my degree... when I first thought about it much earlier... Yes I would like the sheep skin.. but career wise I have done all right and I will be going pretty far without one so it was not necessary for that. For personal fulfillment??? Well of course... if I won the lottery I would become a full time student for that alone.

Edited by powerman 2011-08-04 11:59 AM
2011-08-04 11:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah

If it is something that you have wanted to do and you know deep down that what you are doing now is not the career path you want to be on, I say go for it.

As far as the time spent in the work force after your undergrad, it seems many schools prefer their candidates have some time spent in the 'real' world.  When I have looked at getting my masters (granted, I went to school for theatrical design which is about as far away from physics as you can get) many of the MFA programs require that you have a professional portfolio.  The spaces in these programs usually go to students who have been out of academia for a decade or more.

2011-08-04 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
i sure hope it's worth it!

i finished my undergraduate degree in 2001. i took a job unrelated to my majors. Ten years later, i'm going to graduate school in engineering physics. i have always known i'd go back to school; i just didn't know when or in what field.

The department i'm working with seems VERY excited to have me join the program. They've talked a lot about my decade of experience in an unrelated field. It seems weird to think of it, but if you've been gone for years and want to come back, that means that you actually WANT to be there. You're not just continuing with school because it seems like the right thing to do. You tried something different and still want schoolin'.

From my perspective, having read your posts in the past, you're unhappy now. Why would you stay where you KNOW you are unhappy? At least if you try something different, you have a chance of being happier.
2011-08-04 12:04 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Is it worth it?  It depends what your long-term goals are and what you need to achieve that in your field.  For me, I got a PhD because I cannot run a lab or apply for my own grants without it.  You might not need it to do what you want to do.

How are older, non-traditional students viewed?  It's going to depend on the school and the department.  In my program, most of us are older and have worked and then gone back to school.  A lot of schools like that because these students tend to know what they want to do.

As far as the money, I don't pay for graduate school.  I'm in genetics, so I've worked as a TA and a research assistant the entire time I've been in my PhD program.  That pays my tuition and a (very small) stipend, but at least I'm not accumulating more student loans. 

I do have friends doing a PhD part-time.  It will take longer, but they are still able to work and their company is paying part of the expenses because they can't work for tuition the way I can.  Is that a possibility?

2011-08-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3629035

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Artemis - 2011-08-04 12:04 PM

As far as the money, I don't pay for graduate school.  I'm in genetics, so I've worked as a TA and a research assistant the entire time I've been in my PhD program.  That pays my tuition and a (very small) stipend, but at least I'm not accumulating more student loans. 

I do have friends doing a PhD part-time.  It will take longer, but they are still able to work and their company is paying part of the expenses because they can't work for tuition the way I can.  Is that a possibility?

Possibly, but with my current job and work hours I don't see it as being a smart choice.  Also, the primary programs I'm be targetting are full-time only.

Question for you on the stipend.  I realize that the stipend is fairly normal for most big programs and I would actually enjoy working as a TA/RA.  However, I've also read that programs may be more likely to accept you into the program if they don't have to use their stipend money on you.  Is it looked up on as a negative if you would require a stipend in order to accept an offer into that program?

2011-08-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3629016

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
powerman - 2011-08-04 11:56 AM

Mid life.. I would say yes. I had a similar decision... I wanted an engineering degree. However, quitting work to get one was not an option. I do pretty good in my field and thought that while engineering would basically be a career change, that my experience in the field would not be a waste.

Yet to me it is nothing but dollars and cents... it finally got to a point where the time and money needed to work and go to school, then jump on a different ladder to climb was not going to pay off compared to what I was going to be making anyway.

So for you, does not sound like you would be jumping on a different ladder, just making the one you are on taller. You can do it in a short time if I assume correctly that you can go to school full time. It would increase you employment options over a much longer time span compared to me (plus I was unwilling to move to make that work better)... dollars and sense wise it makes plenty of sense.

Personal accomplishment... well that only you can answer that. I do regret not getting my degree... when I first thought about it much earlier... Yes I would like the sheep skin.. but career wise I have done all right and I will be going pretty far without one so it was not necessary for that. For personal fulfillment??? Well of course... if I won the lottery I would become a full time student for that alone.

This is where I get hung up.  My heart is pulling one way, but the dollars and cents are pointing a different way.  Seems so shallow, but the pull of money is difficult to ignore.  I would go to school for 5 years and likely get a job paying similar to what I'm getting paid now.  It would mean a complete career path change in a completely different field...which I'm fine with; I have no affection for my current industry. 

2011-08-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3629062

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
AndrewMT - 2011-08-04 12:17 PM

Question for you on the stipend.  I realize that the stipend is fairly normal for most big programs and I would actually enjoy working as a TA/RA.  However, I've also read that programs may be more likely to accept you into the program if they don't have to use their stipend money on you.  Is it looked up on as a negative if you would require a stipend in order to accept an offer into that program?

This depends so much from department to department, even within the same school. My department prides itself on having a position for EVERY student. (Although, let's face it. Graduate students are effectively indentured servants. How else would research in labs happen? )
2011-08-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3629075

User image

Elite
AndrewMT - 2011-08-04 11:21 AM

This is where I get hung up.  My heart is pulling one way, but the dollars and cents are pointing a different way.  Seems so shallow, but the pull of money is difficult to ignore.  I would go to school for 5 years and likely get a job paying similar to what I'm getting paid now.  It would mean a complete career path change in a completely different field...which I'm fine with; I have no affection for my current industry. 

Well let's drill down a little deeper then. If I do the math you are still early mid thirties. You have a easy 30 years of work left in you... 20 and you still retire early. If we want personal fulfillment we can take all the classes we want. This is business decision. Degrees are always a business decision. I was late thirties. It was going to be an extended time to get my degree and I was not under any illusions my brain worked better than it did at 20. Different career path going against guy that had been in it for 10-20 years. Looking at most a 10 year pay back and 20 if I worked till late 60s. And the real kicker for me.. I actually really enjoy what I do. I mean seriously. I really like my field and my work in it.

So for you , longer pay back, you do not like what you are doing, get it done full time, and even if you make the same out of school... you are doing a lot better than most.

All I can tell you is I went in the Navy and got out. I had a couple of choices, but decided to do what I learned in the Navy. I still thought about being an engineer...in my field. I had a chance again to reconsider when I was early 30s and I regret not doing it. Only in the sense of accomplishment and new opportunities... but as I got back on my feet and that window started closing, then it did not make financial sense. BUT.. I ENJOY what I do, and I do not regret my chosen profession or career path. If you do not have that to hang your hat on, then you need to make a move while it still make sense to do so.

Edited by powerman 2011-08-04 12:41 PM
2011-08-04 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
As others said only you will be able to determine if it is worth it. However regarding your current job it is my observation that almost everyone hates their job right now and is just holding on for the job market to turn around some more. I would think long and hard about basing your decision on conditions at your current job. The grass is probably not much greener anyplace else right now.

2011-08-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3629075

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
AndrewMT - 2011-08-04 12:21 PM

If it were me, It would be a matter of personal finances.  If I could take 5yrs of less/no income and it woudn't prevent me from reaching my families financial goals (read: retirement at age XX, kids college, etc...), then why not.  Life is too short to deal with BS when you have the means to make a change. 

On the other hand, if your money concerns are more serious (which it sounds like they aren't), then Biggy Smalls said it best..."it's all about the benjamins", especially when you have a family to consider. 

2011-08-04 1:22 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I am in the same boat as you right now. Let me share just a few things I have learned.

1. PhD's are never worth their money according to an accountant. Doing what you love is worth a million dollars to a semi-professional athlete. The key here is that you don't have to committ salary suicide by choosing a niche area of study. Nanotech, biomedical, energy, green energy, and telecom are all booming areas.

2. You rarely perform research 7 years beyond your PhD. Even the professors become more adminstrators than anything else. The key is to look at what sorts of jobs you could do after that 7 year period. Chief Technology Officer of a nanotech startup? Manager of engineering?

3. This is an extension to #2. Since you probably will not be doing research after 7 years, your success depends on who you know. Collaborations, licensing agreements, governmental lobbying will be your focus.

4. Here in Canada, there are many efforts to make sure scientists do not end up in academia. There are many scholarships that have you work at a company during the summer to do your research. These pay nicely if your wife has income on the side.

5. There are some companies whose work is a more rewarding experience than graduate school. I worked some place designing MRI equipment where the instruction from my superiors (3 PhDs, 3 Masters, and one double-masters) far outweighed grad school (where your supervisor sees you once a week).

6. I have heard of some universities who have 3 year PhD programs. That might be worth it.

7. The competition for faculty positions at universities is becoming insane. Try to stay away from this, or you may be a post-doc for 6 years.
2011-08-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3629062

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
AndrewMT - 2011-08-04 1:17 PM
Artemis - 2011-08-04 12:04 PM

Possibly, but with my current job and work hours I don't see it as being a smart choice.  Also, the primary programs I'm be targetting are full-time only.

Teaching is a requirement at my University and the department guarantees funding for the times you are teaching.  After that, it can be tougher. For me, being an RA, my stipends comes from the lab in which I work.  That's a pretty standard arrangement for scientific labs.  Basically, you don't take a position in a lab if they can't provide your stipend or make arrangements to get paid.  But, as Scwamm said, I'm basically an indentured servant as a PhD student.  When I start my post-doc in a month, I'll be a slightly better paid indentured servant.

2011-08-04 8:11 PM

What does your wife think?   That would be a big part of the decision for me. 

If I didnt like my job I'd get another one.  Maybe your dislike for your current job has you wanting you to "do something different".  Personally, Id just get another job.  Good luck.

2011-08-04 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Doing what you love is usually worth the time and expense. It is so much better than grinding it out. Reading your posts though, I don't really get the appeal. A degree is just a piece of paper. It is an experience you crave. And a different job.

2011-08-04 8:19 PM

Expert
Remember the old adage about the laws of thermodynamics: 1st law: You can't win, 2nd law: You can't break even, 3rd law: You can't even quit the game! That's sort of the situation you're in. It is one thing to comtemplate working on a doctorate, it is entirely another to have been actively pursuing it then stop. I equate it to leaving the priesthood You are unfullfilled in your current position and the doctorate seems like the solution.

Here are some things to consider: 1) As the kids get older it becomes more difficult, 2) as expenses and debt increase or you become comfortable in your lifestyle it becomes almost impossible to be working on a PhD full-time, 3) You are only two-years removed from academic rigor, the half-life of scientfic knowledge is extremely short (can you still integrate by parts without having to look up the formula?), the longer you wait the more you'll forget, 4) and you know this one, sometimes having worked on one and not completing it can be worse than not having attempted it at all.

Is it worth it? No. Will you ever be fullfilled if you don't go back and complete it? Probably not. But don't add any unnecessary punishment to yourself or your family. Applied Physics gave you the background to cover a lot of territory in the PhD realm, any engineering field is open to you (don't get hung up on the few prereqs that you'll have to take). Also, don't discount the part-time approach, remember even full-time a dissertation is going to take years.

2011-08-04 8:34 PM

User image

Elite

A PhD feels great.  I beat a problem into submission.  I crushed it.  I have never done that in my professional career.  It took me nearly 10 years.  It was not worth it financially.  That does not matter.

PS.  I was way older than you when I started my PhD program.

The reward

2011-08-04 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3629790

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
tech_geezer - 2011-08-04 8:34 PM

A PhD feels great.  I beat a problem into submission.  I crushed it.  I have never done that in my professional career.  It took me nearly 10 years.  It was not worth it financially.  That does not matter.

The reward

That's encouraging.  I realize it sounds crazy, but at 29, I feel like it's too late to go a different direction or go back to school. 

There are a lot of Georgia Tech folks in my work place.  Great school!

2011-08-04 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3629763

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
ttuna - 2011-08-04 8:11 PM

What does your wife think?   That would be a big part of the decision for me. 

If I didnt like my job I'd get another one.  Maybe your dislike for your current job has you wanting you to "do something different".  Personally, Id just get another job.  Good luck.

Well, my wife just found out she's pregnant, so while she's been extremely supportive of me going back to school, we'll see what she thinks now!

The current job is definitely pushing me to do something different, but the desire to get my PhD has gone back over 10 years.  Plus, I feel like I have unfinished business.  Getting another job may be the prudent approach though. 

2011-08-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3629824

User image

Elite
Reno
AndrewMT - 2011-08-04 9:08 PM

That's encouraging.  I realize it sounds crazy, but at 29, I feel like it's too late to go a different direction or go back to school. 

Ok, AndrewMT.  I like you just fine as an online discussion buddy....   but if you EVER call 29 "mid-life" again, I am going to drive down to Texas and smack you.  

Actually, I don't think 29 is too old for a PhD program AT ALL!   When I was in grad school (CSM), there were alot of PhD students with life and industry experience.    They were, I believe, well prepared for the program, treated it like a job, and got in and out and got it done.   It was not part of an "extended adolescence" that I might admit I was taking part of in my mid '20's in the MS program.   

If it gets you to a goal, does not jeopardize your family financially or otherwise, go for it.

ETA:   I just read the recent baby news!   That is great - congratulations!

Edited by bootygirl 2011-08-04 9:29 PM

2011-08-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3629848

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
bootygirl - 2011-08-04 10:20 PM

Ok, AndrewMT.  I like you just fine as an online discussion buddy....   but if you EVER call 29 "mid-life" again, I am going to drive down to Texas and smack you.  

Actually, I don't think 29 is too old for a PhD program AT ALL!   When I was in grad school (CSM), there were alot of PhD students with life and industry experience.    They were, I believe, well prepared for the program, treated it like a job, and got in and out and got it done.   It was not part of an "extended adolescence" that I might admit I was taking part of in my mid '20's in the MS program.   

If it gets you to a goal, does not jeopardize your family financially or otherwise, go for it.

^1*10^6

2011-08-04 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3629863

User image

Elite
Reno
trinnas - 2011-08-04 9:36 PM

^1*10^6

ok - am I just too old to know what that means?  
2011-08-04 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3629875

User image

Elite
Boise
bootygirl - 2011-08-04 8:43 PM
trinnas - 2011-08-04 9:36 PM

^1*10^6

ok - am I just too old to know what that means?  

10^6 = 1,000,000

so probably x1,000,000

2011-08-04 10:27 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
thank you for clearing that up for me.

This is a complete aside.   I was trying to read it in "words".   "One Ten Six"  

it was geting weird.   Glad we can move on.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is getting a PhD mid-life worth the time/expense? Rss Feed  

of 2