General Discussion Triathlon Talk » barefoot runner seeks shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-04 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Subject: barefoot runner seeks shoes
I run on the beach barefooted, but eventually I'm going to have to start running on the road in shoes if I'm ever to do a tri (HIM is the goal). In that vain I've been reading up on shoes and now understand why all of the "running" shoes I've tried before hurt so much -- they're changing my stride to something that's unnatural for me in anything faster than jogging.

I am a flat-footed, over-pronating, mid-foot striker that does not have problems running over the long expanses of sea shells we have here (read: no princess feet). I've read most of the past year's threads but they're not approached from the standpoint of switching from bare feet to shod.

If I am looking for sockless racing flats that change my mechanics as little as possible, what points do I need to consider and which shoes do I need to check out? $50 or $500, I don't care since remaining pain and injury free is priority #1. Ultimately I am planning to hire a coach and have him/her help me pick out a pair. However, it would be nice to learn from available resources beforehand so I can provide intelligent feedback.

2011-08-05 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3629836

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
Subject: RE: barefoot runner seeks shoes
Have you run in FiveFingers? There is another company called ZEM that makes some interesting minimalist footwear.
2011-08-05 7:35 AM

User image

On your right

Depending on what you're comfortable in, and how much you actually plan on running on the road, I'd think you could have a couple options. 

Vibrams are an option, for sure.  If you like how they fit, and they're comfortable, it's a good choice.

The Saucony Hattori could also be a pretty decent choice as well.

You may also want to consider some racing flats.  I would say this might be the best option because you're coming from the beach to the road.  If you've been running on sand for a while, your body will be used to some cushioning from the sand.  You won't have any of that on the road, and if you go to a shoe with no cushion at all, it might really be bothersome on your legs.  So a flat might be the best option for minimal support with some cushion.  I personally like the fit and feel of Zoot flats, but everyone has their own preference.

2011-08-05 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I don't have an answer for you, but one thing to bear in mind is that your feet might not be used to the pounding that they'll take on a hard surface.  Sand is pretty cushy compared to asphalt and concrete.  Going from barefoot on sand to minimalist on the road might actually lead to problems with your feet if you aren't careful.  I.e., you might want more cushion than you think -- probably not a hugely built-up shoe, but maybe more than minimalist.
2011-08-05 8:00 AM

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
I do a lot of running in five fingers but since they do require a bit of time to get on, for events of any sort I use the "new" new balance minimalist road shoes.   They keep my form of a forefoot striker and are super minimalist. Love them
2011-08-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3630183

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Experior - 2011-08-05 7:59 AM I don't have an answer for you, but one thing to bear in mind is that your feet might not be used to the pounding that they'll take on a hard surface.  Sand is pretty cushy compared to asphalt and concrete.  Going from barefoot on sand to minimalist on the road might actually lead to problems with your feet if you aren't careful.  I.e., you might want more cushion than you think -- probably not a hugely built-up shoe, but maybe more than minimalist.

x2

2011-08-05 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

2011-08-05 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Altra has the Instinct, which is zero-drop, cushioned, and very "foot shaped". Sockless could be an issue, though.

Merrell has some good things going for next year, but for now the Trail Glove would be the best bet in their line. Nowhere near the cushioning though.

New Balance, either the Minimus Road or Minimus Trail.

Other long shots: Saucony Kilkenny spikeless, Nike Waffle Racer spikeless.

2011-08-05 8:46 AM

User image

Pro

sounds like you're not looking for support, but some cushioning wouldn't hurt.  the Saucony Kinvara's are pretty popular, and dare I say it, but Nike Free's?  Brooks just announced a new lineup that look really stellar.

The bottom line is- read all the reviews, take all the advice, then go into your local running shop and try a bunch of them on and run on their treadmill.  That'll tell you way more than we ever can.  Each shoe fits and feels different- so enjoy shopping.

2011-08-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3630214

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

I thought FITniche sounded familiar. Their third store is about 2 miles from my house, right next door to my LBS.

2251 Gulf to Bay Blvd., Clearwater, FL 33765
2011-08-05 1:17 PM

User image

New user

I am by no means an expert; however, after starting up running again, I found these to be the best shoes for my feet.   They are extremely light, well-ventilated...   Good luck!

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10753/58793/218734

Edited by DPMunny 2011-08-05 1:20 PM

2011-08-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3630818

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
DPMunny - 2011-08-05 12:17 PM

I am by no means an expert; however, after starting up running again, I found these to be the best shoes for my feet.   They are extremely light, well-ventilated...   Good luck!

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10753/58793/218734

I went from Newtons to the Scott T2 Comp. Very nice shoe, light, promotes midfoot, cushioned but I can still feel the road well. Give them a shot when you are trying stuff on.

2011-08-05 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Thanks for the input everyone. I went to FITniche and spent a long time talking about my running form, my running history and my goals, then spent enough time on their treadmill to log it as a workout (no kidding, I showered when I got home).

Sockless, it came down to the Asics Noosa Tri 6 and the New Balance Road Minimus. Both allowed me to effortlessly mid-foot strike just as I do barefooted and felt much like my barefooted gait, but in the end the Minimus won out because they fit like feet-gloves (with enough room for swelling) and the Noosas felt like they were trying to provide support that was restricting movement a little.

I tried Newtons, Brooks, other New Balances and bunches of others, but they all caused me to heel strike to some degree because their heels are all built up a bit. I can see how the nubs on the Newts would be ever-present reminders for athletes trying to become forefoot strikers.

We'll see how I like my choice after a few hundred miles. Thanks again everyone.
2011-08-05 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

The bare foot trend is ebbing, but not the natural running trend.

The emerging trend is natural hyper-cushioning, a fairly easy to predict polaric swing 180 degrees from the soon to be embraced "evils" of barefoot running.

I'm in the midst of an interesting project on footwear trends, and I have already learned a lot about how footwear evolves and gains acceptance in the marketplace. It's fascinating.

Here are two things that pre date the germination of the trend, and if you are a fan of author Malcolm Gladwell (His books are Blink and The Tipping Point, about trends spread) , you will recognize this:

The maven's acceptance:

The guy on the left is in the Triathlon Hall of Fame, invented the triathlon bike and the triathlon wetsuit. Look at his feet. The guy on the right is the largest triathlon retailer in the world. Connect the dots and predict the future.

Trends tend to swing in a polaric resonance, in almost 180 degrees opposition to one another. If low drop was the technological and cultural "last word", it isn't difficult to predict where the next swing in technological and cultural emphasis will be.

Another confirmation of the swing is the push back to its acceptance. The early-adopters and mavens lead the way, the rest of us follow.

Pretty soon there will be a book... then the lore... then the science... then...

I give it 2 years max.

2011-08-05 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Other than hearing about them occasionally, I've never really kept up with which trend is which. I grew up at beaches in warm climates, which means being barefooted most of the time. I've always been more comfortable running sans shoes, and have always had pain from running in shoes on any surface -- until now, hopefully.

Once I started reading about running and thinking about what hurts me and what doesn't, it was a no-brainer to try shoes that don't change my form. Perhaps the barefoot/minimalist trend opened the market to this type of shoe, or perhaps I'm just becoming aware of what's always been there. No matter.

I'm a scientist, but science is only a method that attempts to categorize and explain observations and predictions. The direction science takes is determined by interest, be it financial or the curiosity of the researcher, the latter being my favorite because it usually comes from brief moments of brilliant insight. From that point, trends are nothing more than coinciding research by different individuals or groups. Data and trends notwithstanding there's no arguing that what works, works. Each trend provides a number of people with their own eureka moments where they finally learn solutions that work for them for life. For others, their solutions might lie in the next book or research direction.

I think this is an incredible time because we have so many of the ground-floor people around to continue to set the record straight and provide insight based on decades of experience with hundreds or thousands of athletes at all levels. What's more, they're generally all accessible to the average Joe.

2011-08-05 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3631409

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
A little bit early to be tolling the funeral bells based on one shoe company...

2011-08-06 1:19 PM

User image

Master
2011-08-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3631348

User image

Veteran

newtriguy - 2011-08-05 4:21 PM Thanks for the input everyone. I went to FITniche and spent a long time talking about my running form, my running history and my goals, then spent enough time on their treadmill to log it as a workout (no kidding, I showered when I got home).

Sockless, it came down to the Asics Noosa Tri 6 and the New Balance Road Minimus. Both allowed me to effortlessly mid-foot strike just as I do barefooted and felt much like my barefooted gait, but in the end the Minimus won out because they fit like feet-gloves (with enough room for swelling) and the Noosas felt like they were trying to provide support that was restricting movement a little.

I tried Newtons, Brooks, other New Balances and bunches of others, but they all caused me to heel strike to some degree because their heels are all built up a bit. I can see how the nubs on the Newts would be ever-present reminders for athletes trying to become forefoot strikers.

We'll see how I like my choice after a few hundred miles. Thanks again everyone.

I am thinking of buying a pair of those Minimus, I have a store ordering in my size to try on. I would like to hear anything else you have to say about the shoes.

2011-08-06 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3632007

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
garrunning - 2011-08-06 4:14 PM

I am thinking of buying a pair of those Minimus, I have a store ordering in my size to try on. I would like to hear anything else you have to say about the shoes.

I will try to do a run or two in the next day or so and let you know.
2011-08-08 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
Did a short run this morning, and I think the shoes are going to work. Since I normally run barefoot on the beach running in shoes on asphalt is going to take some getting used to. However, it doesn't look like my form will have to change to accommodate the shoes. All in all, I think the Minimus Roads are a pretty good purchase.
2011-08-08 11:17 PM

Was searching for a blog I've been to in the past and found this: http://barefootrunningshoes.org/

MArk B.

2011-08-09 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Newburgh, Indiana

I use New Balance Minimus MT10 for road running.  They work perfectly for me.  Wide toe box and just enough to take the sting out of the pavement while still maintaining a minimal feel.  I use VFF's on the turf...

http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT10/

2011-08-09 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Traveling
I saw the Minimus at my local tri shop. They only had D width so I ordered them from NB directly. It was painless and I love the shoes. However, the tongue is very flimsy and can easily bunch up and cause problems. Also I find I have to lace them pretty tight unlike my Five-Fingers which had the easy velcro. But I think they are better than the Five Fingers, though its still early.
2011-08-09 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
I want to try a pair of those out, the orange are really cool looking. I have several pairs of FiveFingers and one pair of Nike Free 3.0, but those are tempting too!
2011-08-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3635320

User image

Pro

paulieman - 2011-08-09 8:00 AM I saw the Minimus at my local tri shop. They only had D width so I ordered them from NB directly. It was painless and I love the shoes. However, the tongue is very flimsy and can easily bunch up and cause problems. Also I find I have to lace them pretty tight unlike my Five-Fingers which had the easy velcro. But I think they are better than the Five Fingers, though its still early.

I have the Minimus Trail shoes. I put Yankz (or some other bungee-type lacing system) on them, and that helps hold the tongue in place and keeps them tight.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » barefoot runner seeks shoes Rss Feed  

of 2