United States
Generic Events
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 42s
Overall Rank = 73/125
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race at about 5:30pm to do late registration. The line was kind of long but I thought I had plenty of time. There were about 6-7 people in front. However, once one of the staffers announced an "aquathlon only" line, to speed up registration since the start was coming up, all of the people that were behind me got in front of me in that line. Plus, one of the guys was registering about 3 people for him, so it was even longer. PLUS, a woman jumped in front of me just as I was about to register so that her and her brother could be moved from the aquathlon to the 5K.

I'm usually a really patient person, but it does kind of suck when the main reason you are running late is because of other people taking advantage of you. Either way I quickly got marked, set up my stuff, threw on the bottom half of my wetsuit, and rushed to the start line.
Event warmup:

If you count the run to the swim start then that's my warm up.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 22m 13s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did quite a bit of drafting in this one as well as had a few people draft off me. My TNT coach said there's nothing like an open water swim at the end of the day. I agree. It's nice and relaxing.
What would you do differently?:

Wish I could have caught a wave back to shore.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The run to transition was kind of long. I pulled my wetsuit off fairly quickly, but it took some time to get my shoes and socks on even though I didn't fully get the sand off my feet.

I had to pin my number and since I forgot my race belt. It didn't matter too much, but I prefer having a race belt.

It's short races like these where I should go sockless again, and I really should install Yankz! or some other speed laces on my shoes. I have a pair, but never installed them. Before I was training for iron man distance, so I wore socks and kept my shoes the same. Having speed laces would really make a difference especially since my shoe laces tend to go out.

Run
  • 27m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

No Garmin for this one. I ended up forgetting it so I relied on my own pacing. I felt like I could have been a lot faster, but I guess I'm still a little stiff from Vineman.

I would take the Garmin with me next time so I can pace myself better, though in a 5K you're just supposed to go all out anyway. Dunno how much it'd help.
Post race
Warm down:

Just chilled after. Went to Chipotle with some of my friends from TNT.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably doing a 140.6 just a few days before. hahahaha.

Event comments:

I'm not knocking the event not starting on time. I just want to note that it didn't.

Last updated: 2011-08-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/125
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:22:13 | 1094 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Run to shore start with buoy to buoy swim and back to shore. Conditions were pretty choppy, but they were fun. I had to swim at an angle to hit both orange buoys since I was far to the right both times and had to circle each. We started a little late, but I guess that's a good thing for me since it gave me a little time to relax after running to the start line.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:27:08 | 03.11 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops on the beach path. Walkers and cyclists inhabit the same path so you have to watch out for them, but it wasn't crowded so they were easy to avoid.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes