General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ludington Lighthouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-06 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
Subject: Ludington Lighthouse
Anyone doing this race coming up in 2 weeks, or done it in the past?  I'm doing the Olympic there this year (although I guess with only 1000M swim, good for me and my swim challenged self).  It's probably my A race for this year though I may still do one of the races in September too depending on other obligations.  Anyone have anything to add about the course?  It looks like it might be pretty fast bike course.  Looking forward to another clear Great Lake swim, even if a bit colder than most other lakes.  Somehow we managed to get into the state park too to camp for it.  I've never camped in there either though I have been to Ludington itself.

Edited by mjohnson30 2011-08-06 10:24 AM

2011-08-06 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3631808

User image

Stanton
Subject: RE: Ludington Lighthouse
I am doing this race as well.  I have no idea on the race, but looking forward to it. 
2011-08-07 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
I did this race last year. I thought the swim was great! I sighted horrible because coming back to shore your heading right into the sun, but other then that yptemp was great (wore my wetsuit). I had a rough bike, but it was not hilly. We had head wind on the way back that I was not expecting. I was also riding my cervelo for the first time EVER (not recommended). Run had a pretty big hill if I remember correctly, but it was very shaded. My only complaint on the run was a lack of volunteers telling you which way to go in the woods but this was only a short time. Overall, I really liked this race. I would definitely be doing it again this year if I wasn't doing Steelhead the week before. Good Luck!!
2011-08-08 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
This is one of my favorite races and I have been doing it every year  since I started in 2008.  The swim is in Lake Michigan and inside the breakwalls so usually calm and clear.  The water temp can fluctuate alot but it is usually between 68 and 72.  The Olympic bike course is usually pretty fast if we have a crosswind since it is mainly a north-south route.  Last year we had a northerly wind which made it a bit slower than usual.  The road conditions are pretty good on lakeshore drive but the portion by Hamlin Lake is a little rough and also the 1.5 mile out and back on the residential road.  The run course is really nice.  It is mainly flat on Lakeshore Drive with one hill which is a gradual slope so not too bad.  The middle section of the run course is on a great paved trail in the park before you get back out on Lakeshore to the finish.  The last 1.5 miles seems to take forever because you can see the finish chute from far away but you still have a ways to go.

It has been 6 weeks since my last race so I am ready to rock!
2011-08-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3633547

User image

Stanton
Thanks for the info,  I am looking forward to this race.  Now my only concern is the Race Organization.  I have heard conflicting reports this season on the organization and have had some issues in the past.  It sounds and looks like a great course, so I am willing to risk it. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ludington Lighthouse Rss Feed