General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping chain clean Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-06 12:23 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore
Subject: Keeping chain clean

I have been wiping my chain, rear gears and front rings down after every ride.  I want to be sure they are nice and clean.  The chain is "silver" and the gears are all "silver".  When they are really clean, they look great.  When they are dirty , not so much.  I learned here that  a clean drive train is a smooth drive train.

I was out for a really dusty group ride the other night, and when I got home,  I saw I had the newbie  oil smear on my leg.  We had stopped to regroup a couple of times and I had laid my leg on the front gears while resting. It was a giant smear.  I was bummed.  I thought I was doing a good job of maintenance.

I was out in the garage ,just now, running the chain through a rag while cranking the pedals backwards.  There is no visible goo on the rear gears, or the tension wheels on the rear derailer.  However, If I keep runnning a rag over the chain, I still get black on the rag.  It diminishes the longer I do it. 

So the questions are, "How clean should the chain be?"  "What should the rag look like on a properly cleaned chain?"

2011-08-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3631879

User image

Subject: RE: Keeping chain clean
You are WAY overthinking this.

I clean my chain when those little goop balls start collecting to the point that I can see them. Usually every other week or so.

Run it through the cleaner about 8 or 10 spins backwards of the pedals.
Wipe it off with a shop towel, refold and wipe it again as pedaling backwards.
spray some Psycho lube on it while pedaling backwards
run it through the shop towels again, refold and do it again.

Yeah, the shop towels are still turning black, just not near as fast as they do when first wiping right out of the cleaner.

Order a new chain when the stretch equals .75 and next time it needs cleaned just change out to the new one. For me that's about twice a year.

I don't tend to get the chain tattoo on my calf but then again I don't tend to rest my calf against my chain, either.

2011-08-06 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3631879

New user
Connecticut Shore
Subject: RE: Keeping chain clean
Thanks, Daniel.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping chain clean Rss Feed