General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gettysburg bound - good trails or bike routes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-07 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Subject: Gettysburg bound - good trails or bike routes?

Hey, All ~

I'm headed to Gettysburg for four days over the next weekend (Fri through Mon).  I'm pondering taking my road bike, but will definitely be taking my trail-running shoes.

Anyone have any tips on where to run and/or bike while I'm there?  I'd love to run through some battlefields and bike some scenic 20-30 mile routes.

FYI - We'll be staying at the Days Inn on York Road.

Thanks!

Joe

2011-08-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3632641

Carlisle PA
Subject: RE: Gettysburg bound - good trails or bike routes?
JoeBWan - 2011-08-06 1:52 PM

Hey, All ~

I'm headed to Gettysburg for four days over the next weekend (Fri through Mon).  I'm pondering taking my road bike, but will definitely be taking my trail-running shoes.

Anyone have any tips on where to run and/or bike while I'm there?  I'd love to run through some battlefields and bike some scenic 20-30 mile routes.

FYI - We'll be staying at the Days Inn on York Road.

-----------------

We're a bit north of Gettysburg, but enjoy riding 34, Old Carlisle/Table Rock Rd/Rte 234. If you don't mind up/down/repeat, head up toward Biglerville or Bendersville and get lost in the orchards to their west/northwest for a while. 

Haven't run down there, but there are lots of possible loops linking battlefield sites. Not sure what distance you're looking for, but I know some folks who've run down Confederate Ave across Wheatfield and back up into town along the Union side. Just have to keep an eye out for cars with drivers checking out the monuments! The map/brochure that the Natl Park Service gives out would be helpful in plotting your routes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gettysburg bound - good trails or bike routes? Rss Feed