United States
KatMac Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 4s
Overall Rank = 4/146v
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, granola, almond milk. Sipped on EFS. Left the house around 5:15, took 15-20 minutes to get there. Set up transition, hit the bathroom, chatted with friends.

(overall placing for females)
Event warmup:

10 minute WU on run course around 6:10, 100m swim about 30 minutes before the race. Gu packet with caffeine about 10 minutes before the race.
Swim
  • 09m 7s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

They tried to put people in about 10-15seconds apart to ensure not a lot of overlap but it wasn't enough. It would have been OK except we were warned that we would be DQed if we passed mid-lane. Got stuck behind someone slow early on, got passed by a couple people which was fine except that instead of just tapping my foot they actually grabbed it - one guy multiple times. Super annoying. Swim is definitely my weakness but overall it was OK.
What would you do differently?:

Need to improve my swim, period.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

LONG run to T1 - kind of frustrating. But overall I was happy with how T1 went for me.

Nothing, at least nothing that I could change.
Bike
  • 36m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I really pushed the bike and was afraid I would pay for it on the run but I was able to maintain. Definitely was running Zn 4/5 and could tell I was exerting a lot of effort. The few people that passed me in the swim I pretty much all passed back on the bike along with a lot of other people. Had a couple of issues with the police letting cars through when they shouldn't have and almost got hit but overall there was little traffic and the course was well marked.

Nothing, super happy with my ride. Great job keeping my cadence up high.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Felt pretty good; took a minute to encourage my teammate in my rack (we finished the bike together) and dump some cold water on my head from my water bottle.

Maybe put my shoes on a bit faster and hustle a little more, but overall pretty good.
Run
  • 25m 5s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought I was going to bonk due to not taking in much nutrition on the bike and not a lot of fluid. Decided not to focus on my pace for a while - when I finally did I was running around 7:45 or 8. Saw a couple friends which was motivating and really started focusing on picking people off. Really starting pushing it after the turn around. Finished strong.

Take in more nutrition throughout but overall a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, juice smoothie, walked around and talked to people. Got a massage. Stretched a bit (but should have done more).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little better nutrition on the bike, work on my swimming. It was my first podium finish ever in a tri so really, I'm pretty happy.

Event comments:

There was definitely some confusion from volunteers about what they should be doing, how to direct. Some awkwardness with the opening to transition being narrow (this was also run out) and people taking bikes out of transition while people were still racing - they should have not allowed that until everyone was off the bike course. Race food was not great at all and would have preferred something other than bagels, bananas and burritos. We also had to ask this morning where the mount line was (there was a dismount sign but not mount sign).

Last updated: 2011-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:07 | 400 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 50/146v
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: 50m pool swim - snake swim. (overall placing for females)
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:30 | 12 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Overall: 6/146v
Wind: None
Course: Pretty flat with a couple small hills and one descent (not steep but good for picking up some speed). 2 loop course. (overall placing for females)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:05 | 03.16 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 6/146v
(overall placing for females)
Course: Sidewalks, out and back. Pretty flat with just a couple rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No