United States
Tuxedo Brothers
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 17m 23s
Overall Rank = 29/504
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/41
Pre-race routine:

Had a Panera Cinnamon Raisin bagel, half a cinnamon crunch bagel, and a banana for breakfast with some water. Showered, then packed up and headed to the race. Arrived ~5:45, got body marked and set up transition area.
Event warmup:

Took the bike for a few miles to double check the rear derailleur cable and loosen up the legs. Finished setting up the transition and then ran to the swim start, packed my shoes and hopped in the water for about a 30 second swim. Then, waited in line forever for swim start.
Swim
  • 30m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Several people were trying to get in the water a lot earlier than they should have. If they weren't going to somewhat enforce it, I don't know why they didn't just tell everyone it was a free for all. I started behind a lot of slower swimmers and just about ran over 2 people right at the start. Luckily, the canal is wide, and a single file start eliminates a lot of congestion. First 500 was pretty good, but started to fatigue. Second 500 was about the same, maybe a little slower. The last 500 felt better, but I think I dropped off the pace a little, and got caught up in some congestion in the last 50 meters. Two guys decided to walk the last 10+ meters and then take their sweet time getting up the stairs. I pretty much forced my way between them to get past.
What would you do differently?:

Wasn't planning to do this race until 3 weeks before, so I would train a little harder in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Ran very well into T1. Made the turn down my aisle and my feet slid out from under me. I couldn't have done it intentionally any better. I popped right back up and kept going. I put socks on and took a quick swig of my spare water bottle. Headed out and mounted with a flying leap. Didn't get my feet on the pedals very well, but once I got my feet on there, I was good to go.

Take it a little easier with wet bare feet on wet grass, and work a little more on the flying leap.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 23s
  • 24.05 miles
  • 23.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Had an excellent bike, but I think I could have pushed a LITTLE harder in some spots. I backed off a few times and relaxed. I also had to slow down several times because of people in my way. People just don't get the idea of staying to the right and getting back over quickly after passing.

Not too much other than push a little harder in the areas where I slacked off.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Great T2. Came in quick and hit the brakes just right on the dismount. Ran well with the bike and got it racked without problems. I think I was the last bike out for my rack, and the first one back in.

Nothing.
Run
  • 43m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

First 2 miles were 6:45. I felt the usual bad on the first mile, but pulled a good split. Felt good on the second mile, and struggled after that. Ended up with 7:00-7:05 splits for the remainder and I really struggled to keep that pace. I had a quad start to cramp up as well as my calves. That finally subsided, but my legs just plain hurt. I took water at about every other water station. Usually drank half and poured the other half on my head.

Just needed to push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really do one other than walk around a decent amount and get some food/water to replenish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was VERY muggy and a little warm. Thankfully, it was overcast for the entire race.

Event comments:

Overall a really good race. Considering the amount of people involved, I think things went smoothly.

Last updated: 2011-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/41
Overall: 133/504
Performance:
Suit: FCA Endurance Tri Suit
Course: 1500 meter swim down the canal to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:23 | 24.05 miles | 23.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/41
Overall: 36/504
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two lap course to the North of White River State Park. Road was Extremely rough in a few spots, and the RR crossings were obnoxious as usual.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:07 | 06.21 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/41
Overall: 35/504
Performance: Average
Course: Two lap course. Mostly open on sidewalks without any sun protection.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-07 10:15 PM

User image

Fort Wayne
Subject: Tri Indy - Olympic Course

2011-08-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3633250

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Tri Indy - Olympic Course

About all I can say is I beat you in the swim!  That's all I got!  LOL

Congrats on a great race and super placement.  It looks like you put in all the work you needed to perform well at this race.

The swim start seemed fine to me but then I just pushed my way in front of the people that shouldn't have been starting in front of me.  I know I don't swim like a fish but I knew some of the athletes weren't going to stay with me.  I am pretty sure I was able to get started about when I was scheduled.

Very nice race!

2011-08-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3634691

User image

Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Tri Indy - Olympic Course

Haha thanks Dirk.  I can't take all the credit... it's His talent and His ability being displayed in my body, so I owe it all to Him.  The swim is definitely my weakest and will get the most attention this winter.  As I said in my report, I wasn't planning to do this race until 3 weeks before.  I got a door prize at another race that was free entry for Tri Indy, so I couldn't pass it up!  I think I will definitely plan on attending next year, but we'll see what the rest of my race schedule looks like.

It was nice to meet you and chat.  We'll definitely have to go for a ride sometime.  I'm loving this cooler weather!  I hope the rest of your season goes well.  Take care and God Bless.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy - Olympic Course Rss Feed