United States
World Triathlon Corporation
94F / 34C
Total Time = 6h 32m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a 3:00ish and ate a bagel with peanut butter. I drank coffee on the drive to the race. (About an hour)
As I was setting up transition I nibbled on some more bagel and drank a gatorade.
Event warmup:

I swam around in the warmup area for 5-10 minutes to loosen up my arms and get my HR up and then relax.
Swim
  • 40m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off in the middle of the pack. I decided I'd let myself get banged around and just keep calm. It worked fine and I never really felt like my stroke was disrupted. The water wasn't very clear so following feet wasn't possible. To draft I had to keep siting the person in front to make sure they were there. I manage to draft for about the first 1/3 but then they pulled away. I was *just* not fast enough to stay with them. Shame because I probably only needed a little more swim fitness to have a dramatically better result because I could have stayed with them.
What would you do differently?:

I think I needed more long training sessions. I think my longest swim was 2000 yards leading up to this race.

Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

It seemed like it was taking forever and I had a little trouble putting on my race belt. It seemed like a big, confusing transition.

However, T1 was actually faster than I thought.

Nothing I can think of really.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

(1st loop) I tried to keep it easy through the first set of rollers. When I got to the fast section I managed to get up to just under 43 mph but I wasn't hammering. The last section was a little harder than I expected but I managed to keep my pace going pretty well.
(2nd loop) I kept trying to be conservative through the first set of rollers. By the end I began to feel a bit of fatigue set in. The fast section was still fast but not quite as fast. During the last section I knew I was more tired than I should have been.
I don't think I consumed enough nutrition but I managed to drink water and spray water on myself at each aid station.

More bike fitness. I should have felt much better at the end of this bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I misjudged how far away the park was and I took my shoes off way to soon. (Maybe this should be in the bike section) Otherwise everything seemed pretty smooth.

I need to get faster at taking off the shoes on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 46m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty hot as soon as I started running. My legs felt stiff right away. Somewhere around mile 2 I hit the lap button on my garmin and it started freaking out. Beeping and cycling through the fields...I think the heat got to it too! At each aid station I drank water, poured ice water on myself, put cold sponges in my shirt, put ice down my shorts... I would feel pretty good for about 1/2 mile and then feel terrible again and fight walk/run till the next station. I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I don't know if it was the elevation or me just thinking about the elevation.

I think this run was a result of my lack of bike fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a little and then sat in the water to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More consistant training.

Event comments:

They ran out of pizza! Really? It sounds kind of trivial but after a terrible race the last thing I needed was to see the people before me leave with the last slices of pizza. My family waited for me and after 30 minutes still no pizza because they couldn't get through the traffic. I left hungry...

Traffic leaving could have been much better organized as well.It took forever getting to the main roads.

Last updated: 2010-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Clockwise rectangle swim.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:24 | 56 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Performance: Average
149 Average watts
Wind:
Course: (2) loops. Gradual up hill leading out of the park. Rollers for the first 1/3, Fast down/flat for the second 1/3, and long up/down flat for the last 1/3 of each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:46:07 | 13.1 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: (2) loops. Rollers the first half and fairly flat the second half of each loop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes