General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = 319/336
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 25/26
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, Dump, St. Johnswort & herbs, Chia Pudding, Out the Door.
Event warmup:

Walked around area to scope out where everything was located, jumped in lake and swam a bit.
Swim
  • 28m 4s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles broke right before my wave started. I patched them up as best I could, but they were an annoyance the entire time. Basically, I did as well as I could with what I am, which happens to include being someone who spends a good deal of time gagging on gross lake water.
What would you do differently?:

Not played with my goggles & make them break! I maybe should also have tried a mantra just to keep me focused on "okay, you're done gagging, time to swim for real again".
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

At the time, I actually thought I was having a good transition! I did jog to transition area as fast as I could considering I was dizzy & wobbly. I probably could have skipped spraying my feet and just wiped them with a towel instead. Yes, I did HAVE to sit down. And have those drops of St. J's.

Since I was still wobbly and probably really did need to walk my bike, I could have used the exiting transition area time to drink water and eat shot blox, which I should have snipped ends of pack so I could easily remove them with my teeth. Replace, just for the bike, my metal water bottle with an easier in/out plastic bottle. Forget about trying to eat a bar - it's just not gonna happen with a belly full of lake water. Maybe I need to bring my transiton stuff in a 5 gallon bucket so I have a seat.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 5s
  • 14 miles
  • 12.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow! I really surprised myself, and on my ancient mountain bike, no less! All those spin classes must have done something to me that I wasn't aware of!

I could prob have done better if I had more of a pack around me to motivate me. Whenever I saw someone ahead of me, after the joy of realizing that the big hill was over, I rallied and passed them! But sometimes, if no one was ahead of me, I was enjoying the scenery so much that I forgot I was racing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Again, I thought I was doing great at the time!

Again, have the shot blox handier and eat them while exiting transition. Pick up pace, even if it's still a walk, it could be a fast walk. Skip water - there were plenty of hydration stations on the way out.

Also, DON'T FORGET TO PUT ON RACE BELT!!! HANG IT ON RACK NEXT TO BIKE SO YOU SEE IT TO REMIND YOU!!!
Run
  • 41m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I did manage to muster up enough to run that last tenth of a mile to the finish. So happy to see Johnnie and the Schwartz family there! Yay! I finished!

More brick training! This was mostly blown off since April. In fact I hardly ran at all most of the summer, and it showed!
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of water, fig newtons & watermelon, a jump back in the lake (where I did my stretching), and a Victory Beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just didn't train hard enough! Also, could have improved time with:
-better transitions
-wetsuit
-racing appropriate bike

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon ever, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it was a lot of fun! The volunteers were so AWESOME!!! The course was also really well marked, and I loved the little smiley faces all over. Running up to the falls was so cool!! Overall, I did as well as I could, finished the race, and had a great time, which was my goal.

Last updated: 2011-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:04 | 820 yards | 03m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/26
Overall: 326/336
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: Got caught up in lots of seaweed. That and swallowing lake water freaked me out a bit. Just kept going, though, stayed close to buoys. On the way back in, it appeared that some guy from the relay wave crossed the buoy line and got busted by a kayak. They seemed to be arguing with him about coming back and finishing the course. Naturally, when he finally decided to dolphin dive back over, I just happened to be right there and caught a piece of his foot in my face. It was worth it, though, to witness such a strange scene.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:05 | 14 miles | 12.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 311/336
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The hill at the beginning wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. Love the volunteers for letting me know it was almost over! This was a fun and pretty ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:28 | 03.11 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/26
Overall: 310/336
Performance: Average
Course: Cool run! On grass around park, then up trail for a view of the falls! Smiley faces all along the way! Running (or mostly walking) uphill was hard, but worth it when you realize you get to run downhill to the finish!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-08 11:44 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed