General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430) - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder, Colorado
United States
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 47m 33s
Overall Rank = 1065/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 69/96
Pre-race routine:

Showed up at around 5:20, tried to eat a banana, then stood in line for the porta-potties
Event warmup:

Jumped into the water for a few minutes, but didn't do much
Swim
  • 51m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm a terrible swimmer; and not wanting to kick to preserve my ankles, I knew going into it that I was going to be really slow. I went with my old standby of starting way off to the back and side. Unfortunately, I ended up next to a (faster) swimmer who couldn't sight at all who kept crossing in front of me, which threw me off a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I'm happy enough with getting through the swim
Transition 1
  • 07m 54s
Comments:

My terrible transition time was mostly due to getting into my stupid ankle braces.

I might pee in the water instead of during transition, but I'm still kind of squeamish about swimming in a wetsuit full of pee. You'd think I'd be over that by now.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike.

At first I was really discouraged; being in the 3rd to last wave, it felt like everyone was already on their 2nd lap when I was one my first. I was a bit worried I'd be the only one left on the course; especially since I was one of the last 15 people out of the swim transition.

But then I hit lap two and realized that I wasn't alone and felt much better (I know; silly). I did hit a wall at about mile 50 and ended up pulling back a little to recover, but overall I'm really happy with my bike.

I wouldn't go rock climbing the day before; I thought I'd be using completely different muscle and it'd be fine, but boy was I wrong! Every time I got into the drops my body would scream bloody murder at me.
Transition 2
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

I will admit that I stalled a bit. The temps had already reached 95 degrees, and the wind had begun gusting, and I knew this was going to be terrible.

I would have re-applied my sunscreen! oops.
Run
  • 2h 41m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this knowing it was going to be terrible, and I did better than I thought I would, but still, while I was out there I kept hoping I would do even better (if that makes sense?)

Having only been given the go-ahead to resume running by my physical therapist 2 weeks ago, I knew I was completely unprepared for this leg and was just hoping for a finish. I ended up walking the aid stations and a few hills between, running more than I thought I could.

I didn't have too hard of a time staying cool, thanks to all the ice I dumped down my top at every aid station and the sponge I kept in my visor. It did make me sound like a martini shaker every time I ran, but at least I felt okay. The wind was the bigger issue, and I felt like it was going to throw me off the dam at times!

I spent most of my time staring at the ground so I wouldn't sprain either ankle again, which made for an incredibly boring run, but oh well.

Aside from not spraining my ankles repeatedly; there wasn't a lot I could have done.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit, then tried to get food but they ran out! We went out to Snarfs before I had a complete breakdown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to train; the crazy heat and wind!

Event comments:

While I really enjoyed this race, I think I might go back to the Harvest Moon if I do another 70.3 distance. The bike was beautiful, but the heat of August was just a bit too much for me. Especially being in the third to last wave to take off (I guess at least I wasn't last)

Also, I about had a mental meltdown when I got to the food tent and they had "run out" of everything except fruit.

It was a great course though! If it took place later in the year I would consider it again.

Last updated: 2011-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/96
Overall: 1299/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: A giant rectangle. The motorboats were occasionally on the move though, so I hit a few bouncy points.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:58 | 56 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Overall: 882/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops with rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:41:50 | 13.1 miles | 12m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 1038/
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops around the reservoir in the blistering heat! :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-08 11:50 AM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430)

2011-08-08 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3634090

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430)

Don't feel bad about missing out on the post-race food tent. The sad thing is that even when they were well-stocked, there was very little to look forward to. Pretty meh. Too bad, since the rest of the race organization was so good.

Nice work on surviving the heat. Given how much it warmed up mid-morning, the folks who started in later waves were really at a disadvantage, especially on the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430) Rss Feed