General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner biking question - Don't know where else to ask Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-08 1:29 PM

Regular
American Fork, Utah
Subject: Beginner biking question - Don't know where else to ask

Since I am very new to biking, I have a few questions and I’m hoping even if this isn’t the correct forum to ask them on, they can get answered.  Right now I ride a mountain bike with plain old “put your foot on top of the pedal” pedals. 

How much difference would it make if I upgraded them?

What are my options for upgrading?

What are clipless?

Do I need special shoes for special pedals?

Can you buy shoes that work for multiple different pedals?

Approximate cost of a new setup? 

Anyone have any old pedals and shoes (US 8.5 or 9) that they would want to get rid of cheap?

2011-08-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3634285

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Beginner biking question - Don't know where else to ask
FERG DADDY - 2011-08-08 2:29 PM

Since I am very new to biking, I have a few questions and I’m hoping even if this isn’t the correct forum to ask them on, they can get answered.  Right now I ride a mountain bike with plain old “put your foot on top of the pedal” pedals. 

How much difference would it make if I upgraded them?

What are my options for upgrading?

What are clipless?

Do I need special shoes for special pedals?

Can you buy shoes that work for multiple different pedals?

Approximate cost of a new setup? 

Anyone have any old pedals and shoes (US 8.5 or 9) that they would want to get rid of cheap?

you have platform pedals

there are many options for clipless which is how you would upgrade.  yes you need special shoes, with the cleat specific to the pedal.

check the classified re anyone selling.

your best bet is to go see the various kinds of cleats at your LBS

2011-08-09 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3634285

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Beginner biking question - Don't know where else to ask
The verbage is kinda confusing, at least it was for me when I started.  Clipless pedals are a type of pedal in which a special cleat attached to a special cycling shoe physically attaches your shoe to the pedal.  Using clipless pedals gives you better power transfer to your pedals, which of course is the engine which drives the bike.

There are a ton of different types of pedals and shoes.  There are both roadbike and mountainbike shoes and pedals.

My suggestion is take a look at a web site like Performance bikes and look at the pedals and shoes section to get a feel for what's out there.  Also youtube clipless pedals and I'm sure there are posts about it on there.  This will give you a clearer picture of how clipless pedals work.

At first they seem terrifying, having your feet actually attached to your bike.  But it takes almost no time to get used to them and then they become second nature.  I couldn't imagine riding without them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner biking question - Don't know where else to ask Rss Feed