Oswego Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 55s
Overall Rank = 49/191
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/22
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, some stretching around the house. Ate a banana, granola bar and some gatorade. Checked the radar and did my best to send the storms away from the race site and headed out for the short trip to Oswego.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching and a lap to the first bouy and back. Water was quite a bit warmer than the air at this point.
Swim
  • 17m 11s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Absolute melee for the first 50 meters or so, then had plenty of room the rest of the way - that was nice. I thought my time would be better, everything felt pretty good, I'm just a little slow at this point I guess.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I'm an idiot. I put my helmet on before putting my shirt on. After trying to squeeze my shirt over the helmet, I ended up having to take it off, put the shirt on, then put the helmet back on. I should have just said screw it and raced without the blasted shirt, but something made me want to wear that thing.
Bike
  • 39m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know why this thing is auto-calc'ing me at 18.8 mph but the results site says 19.4mph. Whatever...it felt ok. I feel like I could have gone harder, but the course didn't really allow it - between all the turns, the rough patches of road, the dampness of the road, etc, I felt like I only had a couple decent stretches where I could actually get into aero and ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I don't remember anything going awry here. It would have been nice to not have to take the time to put socks on, but in this instance I voted for comfortable feet vs. ~:15 off my T2 time.
Run
  • 26m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt some cramping in the first half mile in hammy and calf, was concerned it would get worse, but thankfully, it got better and they went away. Legs felt pretty taxed the whole way, but I knew I'd make 3.1 no problem. The last 3/4 of a mile, I got a really bad stitch right under the middle of my rib cage - that killed any chance of a good kick I would have. It didn't necessarily slow me down, but prevented me from sprinting to the finish and hurt like heck. This is common for me, my stomach holds me back in races all the time - I hate it, I can't figure out how to properly hydrate/fuel without screwing up my stomach. In this case, all I had the whole race was one big mouthful of a water/gatorade mixture on the bike, and it was that gulp that sat in my stomach and caused the stitch - it's like my body doesn't digest or process water/food when I'm racing. Hopefully some day I figure it out - it's not a big deal in sprints, but can be in oly's and will kill any notion I may have of one day doing HIM or IM.

I'm also confused with my time because my Garmin told me I was at about an 8:10 per mile pace the whole race. And it shows the mile splits at like 8:12, 8:10 and 8:08 or something..yet my official results say I was only going 8:37. This is weird, because the 8:10's seemed to be exactly what I was expecting, training at, and felt like I was running - that all seemed to jive. But then I look at the results and see the 8:37, so I'm a little disappointed, and confused by what happened with this.
Post race
Event comments:

Good race, especially for the first year. Biggest problem was probably the road that led to the start/finish/transition was a cluster-F, with bikes leaving and coming back on it, and runners doing the same, and nobody really knowing where they were supposed to be.

But overall, it was done well.

Last updated: 2011-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:11 | 820 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 73/191
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle swim in a small lake/pond. Head to one bouy, make a left, head to the other bouy, make another left and back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:32 | 12.43 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 39/191
Wind: Little
Course: A loop around Oswego.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:42 | 03.11 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 68/191
Course: An out and back with a little loop at the "out" part.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-08 2:11 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Oswego Triathlon

2011-08-11 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3634366

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: RE: Oswego Triathlon

Duder, I saw your comment on my RR and just checked yours out.

^^^^Did you have fun?^^^^

I had a lot of the same issues out there with a full gut, pacing, etc but it was a ton of fun.  I hope you were able to enjoy racing in your back yard.  I hope to be back next year just for the chance at improving.  We're pretty close in race times, maybe we can go toe to toe for some added reasons towards a better finish time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oswego Triathlon Rss Feed