of 2

2011-08-09 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3634369

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: First HIM, mixed emotions.
powerman - 2011-08-08 2:11 PM

So I swam as a kid. MTBed for a long time. Haven't biked much in the last few years. Hate running and have not done it since HS. Got off the couch and decided to sign up for a HIM. I tend to sort of just jump into things. Been training since Nov. of last year. Lost 30 lbs. and did a few run races. I have improved my run a lot in stand alone events. You can read my race reports and my training logs are up to date... but I only started using them a few months ago... before that was just a bunch of base miles.

So for the HIM, the run has been referred to a "death march". Heat gets me. Went too hard on the bike in my Oly and my stomach paid for it on the run. Put in miles, think I got my nutrition under control. Felt awesome off the bike, really think I nailed it.... but ya, the run was a death march. I am pretty bummed with my performance.

Swim and bike went great. Felt my pace was good and my hydration/nutrition was good. Heat killed me on the run. Walked a lot of it. Can't even pin point what went wrong. I didn't bonk is all I know went right. Stomach was good, maaaybe dehydrated... I can go without peeing and not be dehydrated. Needed to pee as I started the run and took that as a positive sign I was right where I needed to be. Maaaybe I went too hard on the bike... but kept dialing it back and thought my pace was solid. I felt on top of the world getting off the bike heading out of T2.

Which leaves me with... can't handle the heat, not enough running under my belt, or... I'm just not as tough as I thought. That last one is the one really bothering me. I did my best to HTFU. I tried to make it count, I kept getting bursts of energy, but I just could not keep going. It was pretty demoralizing. And during the run, I realized why I have not done a HIM up to this point... it's because I am not a big fan of misery.

Overall I only missed my goal by 11 minutes. I actually acomplished what I wanted, get active again and do some organized training. I'm in the best shape of my life and nice and trim even if I'm nothing special athletically. A lot of stuff went good yesterday... but feeling a little down with what I expected and what actually happened. Not quite sure where to go from here.

Yes, the heat is a pace killer!

Let me ask... do you train by HR? Have you done a test to determine your proper HR zones?

I ask this, because maybe you were running too fast, for the heat you were in. Obviously, yes... but had you been using your HR as monitor, maybe you would have had a better race?

I will use me as an example. So last year training for races, for my long runs I was going by pace I did not use HR. During the fall and winter months, I run a 9:30 mm, and it is easy. So I MADE myself keep that same pace in the summer. I wouldn't let myself slow down.

So this year I have been training by HR. In the heat (I live in Dallas, TX, we are going to break a record for the most 100+ consecutive days in a row!), I run a 11:30 mm for zone 2 work! Yes, I am 2 minutes per mile SLOWER.

Last year I was beating myself up, trying to keep a 9:30 mm in the heat. No wonder I was broken down by September!

With that said... I would wonder if you were running the proper pace for the heat. Had you slowed down, maybe you would have run longer? Your pace in cooler temps will be faster than in the heat.

Where do you go from here? Keep training. Find another race. You have a new goal.

2011-08-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3635161

User image

Expert

reecealan - 2011-08-08 10:48 PM I'd just chalk it up to overall fitness.  Next time you do that distance you'll do better if you keep training.  One question though:  What was your hydration like, leading up to the race.  Namely the day before and the 2-3 days leading up to the race.

^^^This^^^

It looks like your longest run prior to your race was about 5 weeks before and was a standalone 10 miler.  Then it was a mixed bag of 5 or 6 miles averaging around 15 miles per week.  Not sure how you could have gauged your expectations if you have not even run the distance.

2011-08-09 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OK, so I looked at your logs.

I would also venture to say that your run wasn't what you expected, because you didn't bike enough in training.

You did 256 miles total for the month of July. That's an average of 66 miles a week. Not that much for HIM training. My clients who I train for HIM's will train around 400 miles a months... for the last couple of months in training.

If your bike training isn't where it needs to be, your run will suffer.

2011-08-09 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3635696

User image

Elite

Batlou - 2011-08-09 9:12 AM

reecealan - 2011-08-08 10:48 PM I'd just chalk it up to overall fitness.  Next time you do that distance you'll do better if you keep training.  One question though:  What was your hydration like, leading up to the race.  Namely the day before and the 2-3 days leading up to the race.

^^^This^^^

It looks like your longest run prior to your race was about 5 weeks before and was a standalone 10 miler.  Then it was a mixed bag of 5 or 6 miles averaging around 15 miles per week.  Not sure how you could have gauged your expectations if you have not even run the distance.

I don't doubt run fitness was lacking, but not sure what you are looking at. I did 10 mile runs 3 times in June. One of them was a race in hills which is known to be a tough race... I got a 1:28 in that race. I did 8.74, 9, 10 in July and then taper.

Edited by powerman 2011-08-09 10:53 AM
2011-08-09 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3635680

User image

Elite

KSH - 2011-08-09 9:05 AM  Yes, the heat is a pace killer! Let me ask... do you train by HR? Have you done a test to determine your proper HR zones? I ask this, because maybe you were running too fast, for the heat you were in. Obviously, yes... but had you been using your HR as monitor, maybe you would have had a better race?

I train by HR, but I have no official numbers. Just from help here and doing some training I have come to a ballpark figure, but I have not done any testing. What I mean is I thought my LT for running was 183... after some discussion here I adjusted that to 176. Didn't try to focus on the number just the range. From training and races I knew what was comfortable and what was pushing. 

My HR was an average of 165 on the bike.... yes that still might be too high for a HIM pace... but I felt I was in a moderate comfortable pace and I did not want it higher than that. I thought I was doing a good job of keeping it down.... or not working too hard.

The first 4 miles of the run my HR was 185-180... and I was walking by that point trying to get it down. When I was running I was doing 11-11:30-12 mm which is darn slow. So when I did get running again I was not trying to be a jack rabbit. I tried to just keep the legs moving and find a groove just could not keep it.

I had done some runs in heat and yes I have been stopped before.

2011-08-09 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
Your experience sounds a lot like mine.  I did my first HIM in mid-July this year.  Swim and bike felt great, I did go pretty conservative on the bike but still blew up in the run.  It was the hottest day (to that point) of the year around here (I live within a few miles of the race site)--it jumped from mid-70s all that week to 90+ with a heat index over 100 on Sunday.  So there wasn't a practical way to acclimate to the weather.  Looking back I think I also should have done more long bricks at or close to the race distances.   While I was also a little disappointed with having to walk a chunk of the run, I still felt good overall for finishing my first one, and know that with different weather it would have been a different race.  It also gives me good motivation to train and smash that time next year.

2011-08-09 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You are experience all to common conflict within triathletes.

Finishing something that is a huge accomplishment conflicting with your desire to do better/certain time.

Best time to look at yourself and know deep in your heart how you did is the first 10-20 seconds after you cross the finish line. There you are at your basic self and your true feelings come out.

After a short time, we filter our race performance on many factors and often come up short in a list of areas.

How did you feel when you cross the line?

It's okay to look back and say what can I improve upon. But don't take the joy and satisfaction out of what you accomplished since it was 11' off what you hoped for.

2011-08-09 11:06 AM

They put a freakin medal around your neck for a reason.

Be proud of your finish.

2011-08-09 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3635823

User image

Elite
KathyG - 2011-08-09 10:04 AM

You are experience all to common conflict within triathletes.

How did you feel when you cross the line?

First comment is funny....  I usually think I'm so unique... then I find out I'm pretty text book.

.. 20 secs after I crossed the line??? I was happy as hell it was over and completely suprised I managed to pull a 6:11 out of that. Wink

2011-08-09 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3635791

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
powerman - 2011-08-09 10:51 AM

KSH - 2011-08-09 9:05 AM  Yes, the heat is a pace killer! Let me ask... do you train by HR? Have you done a test to determine your proper HR zones? I ask this, because maybe you were running too fast, for the heat you were in. Obviously, yes... but had you been using your HR as monitor, maybe you would have had a better race?

I train by HR, but I have no official numbers. Just from help here and doing some training I have come to a ballpark figure, but I have not done any testing. What I mean is I thought my LT for running was 183... after some discussion here I adjusted that to 176. Didn't try to focus on the number just the range. From training and races I knew what was comfortable and what was pushing. 

My HR was an average of 165 on the bike.... yes that still might be too high for a HIM pace... but I felt I was in a moderate comfortable pace and I did not want it higher than that. I thought I was doing a good job of keeping it down.... or not working too hard.

The first 4 miles of the run my HR was 185-180... and I was walking by that point trying to get it down. When I was running I was doing 11-11:30-12 mm which is darn slow. So when I did get running again I was not trying to be a jack rabbit. I tried to just keep the legs moving and find a groove just could not keep it.

Well in a HIM... and your first one, your HR should have been in zone 2... aka: endurance. I'm not sure what your HR zones are. Maybe 165 is in that zone for you? For me it is. Everyone is different.

If your HR was high coming off the bike... yes you probably pushed too hard on the bike... for your fitness level and maybe you were pushing too hard on the run? Having read you only trained up to 10 miles in training on the run... and your reduced miles on the bike in training... you can chalk it all up to lack of fitness for a faster HIM.

With that said... you finished!!!! And 6:11 is a respectable time! Nothing to be ashamed of! I train a lot more than you did... just to get a time that good! Ha! Numbers are numbers. We do this as a hobby. We aren't getting paid for it. Be proud of your accomplisment and getting in shape!

2011-08-09 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3635910

User image

Elite
KSH - 2011-08-09 10:48 AM
powerman - 2011-08-09 10:51 AM

Well in a HIM... and your first one, your HR should have been in zone 2... aka: endurance. I'm not sure what your HR zones are. Maybe 165 is in that zone for you? For me it is. Everyone is different. If your HR was high coming off the bike... yes you probably pushed too hard on the bike... for your fitness level and maybe you were pushing too hard on the run? Having read you only trained up to 10 miles in training on the run... and your reduced miles on the bike in training... you can chalk it all up to lack of fitness for a faster HIM. With that said... you finished!!!! And 6:11 is a respectable time! Nothing to be ashamed of! I train a lot more than you did... just to get a time that good! Ha! Numbers are numbers. We do this as a hobby. We aren't getting paid for it. Be proud of your accomplisment and getting in shape!

Thanks for your help... 165 is not zone 2.. more like 3 pushing 4. Ya, what can I say... truley a lot to learn to do a HIM. Bike is my strength so I sort of focused on run my weakness. Perhaps I should have done more miles on the bike, but thought they were needed more on the run. Even then I was probably only managing moderate amounts for a HIM. No matter what I could not seem to get 3x a week in all 3 sports. Hard enough to learn how to race long distance, even harder trying to figure out how to balance racing 3 of them.

2011-08-09 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Sounds like you had a very similar experience to my first HIM.  I missed my goal time by 30 min (and I blame most of it on the heat as I don't handle the heat well)!  BUT I did finish, which is more than many athletes that day can say.  I looked at my place relative to my AG.  I know that it depends on who shows up, but I placed about 10 places higher in my AG than I thought I would (given my goal time)!  Made me feel VERY proud of my performance, because everyone had to deal with the same heat/humidity/sun.

The biggest mistake you could possibly make now though is not learning from your race.  I had a coach that used to preach:

"If you can't learn anything from falling short of your goal, you aren't going to accomplish much"

Learn, get out and swim/bike/run, and do not forget... HAVE FUN!

Congrats on the GREAT finish!

Edited by menglo 2011-08-09 12:31 PM
2011-08-09 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

First, I want to say congrats on the acomplishment - a half IM is really something to be proud of.  Also, your swim time is really good, and is something I'd love to have.

With respect to your actual question about having a tough run, my honest feedback is that you just need to run more (and probably bike more, too).  You said your logs are incomplete so it's hard to gauge how much you have done this year, but looking at July I would have probably run roughly 2-3x your miles to really expect a good run.  Having a good run in any long distance tri comes from a lot of base building and miles and takes time to develop.  Pacing on the bike is also key, and going out "too fast" on the bike is something I think we've all done at least once.  Obviously, things like heat, hills and humidity can affect the final outcome as well.

Congrats again on the finish!

2011-08-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3635774

User image

Expert
powerman - 2011-08-09 10:39 AM

^^^This^^^

I don't doubt run fitness was lacking, but not sure what you are looking at. I did 10 mile runs 3 times in June. One of them was a race in hills which is known to be a tough race... I got a 1:28 in that race. I did 8.74, 9, 10 in July and then taper.

Sorry, I missed the 10 miles you ran a week or so before the race.  Wait, what are we talking about?  I thought you wanted to know why your expectations did not match up with the reality of the event?  Did I miss something? 

2011-08-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3636197

User image

Elite
Batlou - 2011-08-09 1:06 PM
powerman - 2011-08-09 10:39 AM

^^^This^^^

Sorry, I missed the 10 miles you ran a week or so before the race.  Wait, what are we talking about?  I thought you wanted to know why your expectations did not match up with the reality of the event?  Did I miss something? 

My point was I ran 10 mile runs 5 times... which is the most most say I need to go for a HM. If I thought it was beneficial to do the full 13 I would have. I'm not sure if I missed something? Like I said I got 1:28 in the 10 mile race in hills, ( faster pace than my 10K time on flats 3 months earlier) but I didn't even expect to do that in the HIM.... all I was expecting in the HIM was 10 minute miles.

Coming out of T2 I looked at the clock and knew I only had to do 12 minute miles to still meet my goal, but that was pretty much out after the first mile. By the second mile I was wondering if I was going to DNF. After I got that out of my head I just did the best I could do with what I had. That's why I was so suprised at the finish line... I was thinking much worse.

2011-08-09 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
OK, I have never seen a plan for any race, other than full marathons or ultras that do not call for doing the distance at least 1 time prior to your race.  Not sure how you could properly prepare without, however, I am new at this as well so I really don't know squat.

2011-08-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3636335

User image

Elite

Batlou - 2011-08-09 1:58 PM OK, I have never seen a plan for any race, other than full marathons or ultras that do not call for doing the distance at least 1 time prior to your race.  Not sure how you could properly prepare without, however, I am new at this as well so I really don't know squat.

No sweat. Thanks for your help. I'm new too....  I have a whole year to get better. I'm doing a HM in Dec. with some co-workers. I'll prabably go do 13 next week just to proove a point.

2011-08-09 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
CT
I also had a 6 hour goal for my HIM.  Missed it by 3 minutes.  I just said screw it I'll get it next year. Now I have something to shoot for next year.
2011-08-09 5:30 PM

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

I pretty much could have written your original post.  I went in, was feeling great after the bike, and just fell apart on the run.  14th on the swim, 40th-ish on the bike, and 178th on the run when my run and bike positions are usually about the same.  The run course was an unshaded run at noon along ashphalt roads.  One difference is that I'm pretty sure I didn't overcook on the bike (it was well under my previous oly and sprint paces).

I also don't think I bonked or was dehydrated (drank 4-5L on the bike, + 2 cups at each aid station on the run), but I just didn't have any strength after 8km.  I ended up walking for most of the last 13km, and missed my goal time by 18 minutes.

My conclusion: I'm not built for HIMs (I sweat at a rate that precludes proper fluid replenishment), so I'm just going to compete at sprints and oly's from now on.  Maybe even some try-a-tris.  No big loss.

Edited by AHare 2011-08-09 5:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM, mixed emotions. Rss Feed  

of 2