General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430 Long Course) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430 Long Course) - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder, Colorado
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 19s
Overall Rank = 190/1866
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/141
Pre-race routine:

Got to Boulder the morning before the race. I did my normal pre race workouts, checked in, and headed to the hotel. I caught a movie and dinner with my wife and was in bed by 9pm and slept great.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 3:45, ate a bagel with peanut butter, banana, and drank a crappy cup of coffee. Headed down to the race site around 4:40, set up transition and hung out with my wife for a few hours since I was in the second to last wave at 7:40. I met with my coach, who was also racing and won his age group, jumped in the lake to warm up, and then headed to the start.
Swim
  • 30m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up on the left in the second row. I was unsure how my body would react to the altitude on the swim, so the plan was to go out a little easier than normal and work my way into my pace. This worked well and I never felt short of breath. I caught clear water right off the bat and stayed out of the chaos. I caught previous waves fairly quickly and was able to navigatge them very well. I cramped a little bit, but focused on my breathing and they went away quickly. I felt very strong and was able to maintain a constant pace without ever feeling tired. I spent the last few hunder yards mentally preparing for the ride.
What would you do differently?:

Go out a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I ran up the ramp towards the transition area. I had a little trouble finding the wetsuit zipper, but found it by the time I got to my spot. My feet got caught just a bit, but it really didn't slow me down too much.

Learn the trick with the rubber bands so I can run barefoot to mount line rather than running in shoes. I think I could save a few seconds there.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 94s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 10-15 miles of the ride are slightly uphill, so my plan was to take it easy and work my way into the ride not worry about my pace but rather settling into a comfortable effort. I was passing a lot of people from earlier waves while getting passed by the fast bikes from my age group. I stayed in my race not worrying about anyone else. At the turn onto St Vrain road, I hit the hammer and took advantage of the downhill section. I maintained a faster pace of the back half of the first loop and came through in 1:20. The stuck with my plan on the second loop focusing on hitting my nutrition and really talking in a lot of water to be ready for the run. Going into the bike I knew I would probably PR my bike time and sub 2:40 would have been perfect. I came in just over 2:42 but felt strong going into the run.

My general bike fitness needs to get better. I have a long ways to go to be with the fast guys in my age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I did a flying dismount and cruised to my spot. Shoes on, grabbed some gels and onto the run. Fast and efficient.

None
Run
  • 1h 45m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal here was to hold back on the first lap and go for it on the second. I didn't want to go out too fast and blow up on the second like so many people do. I really focused on breathing and keeping a steady pace. I hit every aid station getting water, ice and sponges. The sun and heat were brutal by this time and I was quite happy with my ability to keep my body cool. Near the end of the first lap I got passed by some really fast age groupers on their second lap and again I just focused on staying within my race. First lap time was 51:14 (7:53 pace). I saw my mile splits slowing down gradually on the second lap, but I still felt good. I made a conscious effort to stay very positive and not worry about the heat or the gnarly wind that had kicked up. Around mile 10 I started adding coke at the aid stations and this helped my energy levels for the last few miles. I kicked hard in the last tenth of a mile and passed a few people in the finisher chute. I did not get passed by anyone on the last lap while mowing down people in front of me. I moved up 17 spots in my age group and 123 overall on the run. Although I would have liked to run 5 minutes faster, I am still satisfied given the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

I took in a ton of water before heading over to the food tent where I ate a piece of pizza, and few oranges, and then half a beer.

Event comments:

My goal going into the race was to break 5 hours. Ultimately I fell short of that goal, but still set a PR. I walk away satisfied with my time, but with the feeling that I fell a bit short. This is just the motivation I will need to train hard to get fitter and faster.

I really enjoyed this race. I think the course was fair and the scenery is amazing. I plan on doing it again.

Last updated: 2011-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:20 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/141
Overall: 114/1866
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Synergie Full
Course: Triangle in Boulder Reservoir. The swim was supposedly changed from previous years so you never actually swim into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:42:94 | 56 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/141
Overall: 0/1866
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps around the Boulder Reservoir area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/141
Overall: 0/1866
Performance:
Course: 2 laps around Boulder reservoir. Most of the run is on dirt roads and trails. There is absolutely no shade whatsoever.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-09 12:10 AM

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430 Long Course)

2011-08-09 12:19 AM
in reply to: #3635200

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430 Long Course)
Nice PR! Sounds like you paced yourself very well on the run, despite the misfortune of being in one of the last waves and taking the brunt of the heat. Many of us were slowing down a lot more on the second lap.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder (formerly 5430 Long Course) Rss Feed