United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 57s
Overall Rank = 25/121
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am since we had to drive a couple hours to the event. Breakfast consisted of a bowl of Cheerios, milk, coffee, and a chocolate chip cookie. I gradually drank 24 ounces of water during the drive and pre-race preparation.
Event warmup:

No special warm up. However, the lake is located at the top of the ski resort, So, we had to ride our bike up to T1, which was over a mile with significant elevation gain. No need for further warm-up.
Swim
  • 30m 24s
  • 1250 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ugly! Started strong, but rapidly became short of breath presumably due to the elevation. It was a real struggle not to panic, regain composure, and continue with the swim. I was having such a hard time that I almost quit the race a couple of times. After struggling through the first lap, my second time around went better, but I had to still resort to unilateral, every-other-stroke breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Swimming is my obvious weakness, but I have no way to really prepare for elevation.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time included in swim time.

Transition went smooth, but had to spend a little extra time bagging my wetsuit since T1 and T2 transitions were in different locations. Ran out of transition, stepped on timing mat, and mounted bike on the run - only to be told to dismount and run further before mounting. This was slightly irritating since there was no signage indicating were to mount. Even more frustrating, when I go to remount my bike, my saddle moves nose down. Great!

Transition was smooth on my end. Just a little communication problem with the race officials.
Bike
  • 48m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I gave a hard effort, but I would of liked to have been able to climb more out of the saddle, The terrain was just too sandy and loose to allow for this technique.

Now, the next mishap. At the completion of the bike segment, I'm preparing for transition leaning over to undo my shoes. I have another rider to my outside and I'm taking the inside line into an approaching turn. All of a sudden, the guy comes off his line into my line. When I tried to brake and correct, my bike slipped out in the sand and I took the impact mainly to my left shoulder and head. I was probably traveling at about 20 mph at the time. My wife said the fall looked pretty bad, but I was able to get right back on the bike without loosing much time. All I remember hearing is the race announcer talking then say "Oh my God!"

All I can think of is trying to keep a smooth cadence and pushing a faster tempo for this course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not a bad transition. I tried my best to ignore my new road rash and push through transition.

Not fall before transition.
Run
  • 26m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a good run. While pace appears slow, this run is the hardest course I've ever experienced in any XTERRA races. And, if the course isn't tough enough, there is no time to get your legs after T2 as the run begins straight up the ski slope.

The fastest time was only 21:43.

Keep working on my trail running. My practice has paid off though, as I feel much more comfortable and agile running downhill and navigating steep descents.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Walked around a bit while I talked to my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Once again, I was limited by the swim.

Event comments:

This is a good race, but the disciplines are out of proportion. They either need to shorten the swim or add laps to the bike course to make it fair for all.

6/20 AG. 25/121 Overall. Worst finish this year for me. 6th place only gets me 47 out of 75 points toward US Nationals. While this race moved my into 5th place for the region, I also lost any chance of winning my region (CA, NV, and AZ).

Last updated: 2011-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:24 | 1250 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 55/121
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blueseventy Reation Long John
Course: Private lake at 8,000 feet. Course navigated the perimeter of the lake in a clockwise direction. Course consisted of two laps separated with a beach run.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:02 | 10 miles | 12.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 18/121
Performance: Good
Time includes T2.
Wind: Little
Course: 1.5 lap course around the ski resort. At 10 miles, I was at a severe disadvantage here. I need the longer bike course to compensate for my swimming. As a result, I knew I had to ride hard despite the run that was to come.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:31 | 03 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 19/121
Performance: Good
Course: Cloverleaf design with multiple ascents on the ski slopes. Course is fire road, single track, and scramble (cross country with only flag markers). Obstacles and deep sand were quite frequent.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-09 12:22 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: XTERRA Snow Valley

2011-08-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3635206

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Snow Valley
Sounds like a tough race bro!  Awesome job keeping it together on the swim and pulling things back  together after stuffing it on the bike.  Those tumbles on the bike can really take the steam out of you.  You can never "see" the full story or the brutality that is the Xterra course by simply looking at the race distances, only those who have raced an Xterra know that those 10 miles on the bike and 3 or so miles on the run are can straight up, over loose babyheads and sand.  Congrats again on a job well done.
2011-08-09 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
hang in there man! You're consistently top 10!!! that's something to be proud of!
2011-08-09 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Snow Valley Rss Feed