United States
5150 Triathlon Series
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 27m 2s
Overall Rank = 2458/3000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 181/273
Pre-race routine:

I couldn't sleep well the night before - I kept waking up worried that I had missed the race. Got up, had half a bagel with peanut butter and a slug of coffee plus advil, and cabbed to the race. Set up the transition area and tried to keep my socks a little drier by putting a towel over them to protect them. Took sports beans and water up to the start with me. We ended up being a little delayed at the start, so it was a good 2.5 hours from bagel to getting in the water. It also started raining and I actually got cold waiting, so put on my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Just the mile walk up to the swim start, but then there was a lot of standing around.
Swim
  • 22m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I loved the new time trial start. Much less kicking of everyone involved. My swim went well. I'd done a good bit of training in the pool, so I was calmer than last year. Got my wetsuit on well and didn't even notice it once I started, unlike on some of my training swims in the ocean. There was some chop in the water, which meant I had to change the rhythm of my stroke a little bit in order to breathe well, but it felt pretty natural to me.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to do a little more upper body work before really starting to swim so I can have more pull in my arms, but I was happy overall.
Transition 1
  • 09m 41s
Comments:

Ugh. This one always sucks because of the long run out of the swim. BUT I ran the whole thing this time, which was better. Slower because of the bike shoes, and it always takes time to get my wetsuit off.

Maybe sit outside the transition area and take off my wetsuit on the benches. Otherwise, not much.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting out of T1 and up onto the west side was a mess - too many people, and there was a group who stopped just at the top of the hill. Maybe they were told to because they were taking one of the athletes out on a stretcher as I went by, but having a mass of people all clipped in trying not to stop is a bad idea.

Otherwise, the bike was my best yet. Great on the way out, good gear changes, felt really strong and passed far more people than passed me. The way back, I was tired. Probably went too hard or need better conditioning. Plus, there was a bit of a headwind from about 155th street to 59th, and I was feeling it. Peddaling downhill is never a good sign.

More hill training. Hills still take a lot out of me. Also, try different nutrition, maybe some powder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This felt slower than it was. Changing shoes made it take longer. Took more nutrition.
Run
  • 1h 13m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

This was tough. The run is always a challenge for me, but it took until mile 5 for me to have my legs under me. I did some walking up the hills, but less that last year. I also had a rock in my shoe that I should have stopped earlier to take out. Got water at each water station, and had a Gu with caffine. It helped give me a jump, but I was really hurting at this point. I am usually running at least 10:30s when I run, and I just couldn't get my legs going.

Other than go a little easier on the bike, work on my nutrition. I was tired by the end of this.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to the transition area and tried to ride home, but had a flat!! Thankfully this happened after the race, not before.

Last updated: 2011-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/273
Overall: 1876/3000
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: