General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Logan International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canton, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 23s
Overall Rank = 63/254
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/39
Pre-race routine:

Day before race, did a nice 4 mile hike along the Blueridge Parkway. Awake at 4:30, got dressed and had the usual breakfast of oatmeal, PB toast and a banana. Cup of coffee and hit the road.
Event warmup:

Got to event about an 1:15 before start. New bathroom was going to be an issue as the lines were already loooong. Got setup, got in bathroom line...for 20 minutes...and got done just in time. Ran back to get wetsuit on and jogged over to the swim start. No time to stretch.
Swim
  • 28m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty average and uneventful swim (which is a good thing). Concentrated on my exhaling in the first 5 minutes, breathing every other stroke. Tried to relax as much as I could. Felt good the entire swim. Didn't feel particularly fast, but felt good, which is a change from my Oly last month. Sighting was a little of on the back strectch but not too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Push pace a little bit. Could go a 1-2min faster, but first I need my confidence up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Wetsuit stuck on wrists (forgot to put body glide there). Very long run with the bike to mount line. Forgot to put no fog on my sunglasses.

Remember to put bodyglide on wrists.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 2s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out too fast! Felt great and was averaging 24+ for the first 12 miles. We then hit the turn around and went from smooth roads to a chip sealed slight incline for 7 miles. My legs were really feeling it around 18-19 miles in as I didn't have any experience trying to keep this pace. At mile 22, there is a 7% grade hill that was already in my head. By this point I felt like I was crawling. At least we had a downhill into T2. Finished a bit over 22mph average which my fastest to date.

Got a 2:00 drafting penality. I know right where it happened becuase the guy in front of me slowed way down and I didn't have the energy to pass on the uphill and the official was right behind me so I sat about about 2 lenghts behind him and a foot outside. Apparently I should have had my tape measure to get wider....but then the bozo would have hit me with blocking as there were guys coming behind me. Should I have slowed down to get 3 lenghts? Yeah, probably but slowing down on a course just doesn't register on race day. Next time I draft I am hopping in the peleton like a saw a few times.

Pull back a little on the start. Could have averaged a mph slower and been fresher for the tougher 2nd half.

Drafting penality dropped me from 7th in AG to 10th.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Run
  • 43m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

With legs already hurting from going out a bit too fast on the bike, the run started with 3.1 mile non-stop gradual climb. Was nearly impossible to get my legs going at the pace I had hoped for. Finally hit the turn around and tried to open it up but only had so much gas left in the tank. Negative 2:00 split in the way back.

HTFU?
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and drinks and waited for my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Burnt a few too many matches on the bike.

Event comments:

Beautiful race site. Challenging course (more so than the event description) but not too tough. Post race was average. This series needs to invest a few bucks and number thier bike racks like the other setup series has. They did run out of water on the run while my wife was running...she wasn't too happy about that. The beauty of the course makes up for the little things that need to be improved.

Last updated: 2011-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/39
Overall: 88/254
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl
Course: clockwise rectangle with an in water start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:02 | 24.85 miles | 22.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/39
Overall: 65/254
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One loop out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:54 | 06.21 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/39
Overall: 48/254
Course: The 10km run is an out and back course with the first 5k gradually climbing up towards the Blue Ridge parkway, winding alongside the cool mountain streams.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-09 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Lake Logan International Triathlon

2011-08-09 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3635759

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Subject: RE: Lake Logan International Triathlon
Great race!  Too bad about the drafting penalty.  I'm surprised there weren't more of them with some of the trains that came by me.  So maybe you're right.  Just tuck in with the herd and you'll be safe next year!
2011-08-10 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3635759

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Lake Logan International Triathlon
Congrats!!!  You had a good bike split despite going out hard early.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed