General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Diagnose Minor Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-09 12:50 PM

Regular
Subject: Help Diagnose Minor Injury
I did five miles of speedwork yesterday (the five miles includes active recovery) on the track, and I think I did something to my knee. Immediately after the speedwork my knee was giving me some problems.

It only hurts sometimes when I take a step, but I want to stop it in its tracks before things get worse.
I am pretty sure it's not my ITB, as this is DIRECTLY above my patella. I can take my hand, slide it down my leg, and it wll only hurt when my fingers hit the very top of the patella. I'm assuming something is connected there, and I tried rolling it, but all I have is the big foam roller and it didn't seem to be targeting the spot that is giving me strong discomfort.

THanks in advance BT'ers!

2011-08-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3636032

User image

Veteran
Boston
Subject: RE: Help Diagnose Minor Injury

acgibby - 2011-08-09 1:50 PM I did five miles of speedwork yesterday (the five miles includes active recovery) on the track, and I think I did something to my knee. Immediately after the speedwork my knee was giving me some problems.

It only hurts sometimes when I take a step, but I want to stop it in its tracks before things get worse.
I am pretty sure it's not my ITB, as this is DIRECTLY above my patella. I can take my hand, slide it down my leg, and it wll only hurt when my fingers hit the very top of the patella. I'm assuming something is connected there, and I tried rolling it, but all I have is the big foam roller and it didn't seem to be targeting the spot that is giving me strong discomfort.

THanks in advance BT'ers!

Very hard to diagnose something like this on a message board since most of us aren't doctors   But to be fair I know that there are a few doctors on here lol...

Best advise is to see a sports physician if the condition continues rather than risk permanent injury.

If it helps, I had similar knee issues running and was advised to see a doctor.  Being stubborn, I did not.  I changed my shoes to more minimal running shoes and built distance and speed much slower.  Discomfort started coming later into the workout (i.e. 8 miles, then 10, then 12) and ultimately disappeared.  My issue ended up being too much too fast.  Yours may be different, but don't risk permanent injury.  If you are stubborn like me, let it rest and take it slower.  Otherwise see a doctor

Good luck!

2011-08-09 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3636032

User image

Hopewell, NJ
Subject: RE: Help Diagnose Minor Injury

I am not a doctor but you might want to read this.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00382&return_link=0

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help Diagnose Minor Injury Rss Feed