General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Is Swimming the Most Deadly Leg of a Triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3636565

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Why Is Swimming the Most Deadly Leg of a Triathlon?

Many great points here- cardiac arrythmias are often not picked up on an EKG, and experienced swimmers and athletes still die in the swim.  While arrythmias are probably the most common cause for all of the reasons mentioned, I don't think you can overlook the role of head trauma.  It just takes one well-placed kick or elbow to knock someone out, and an unconscious person will drown quickly head down.  Autopsies rarely examine the brain without some reason to suspect trauma, so it would be undetected.  A friend of mine (a very experienced triathlete and swimmer) sustained a grade 3 concussion at IMLP during the swim a few years ago- it was very lucky she wasn't knocked out completely.

2011-08-12 5:27 PM

User image

Regular

Maybe it's because I work in insurance.

But the # of triathlon deaths always seem to drown out the # of deaths from drunk driving despite the former being far less frequent..or slipping at home (which is also more frequent).

Condolences to the families

2011-08-14 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Just noticed this today. Two athletes died at the Nautica Triathlon in NY.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/08/ny.triathlon.death/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Is Swimming the Most Deadly Leg of a Triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 4