Woke up, drove, participated.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, short swim.
Swim
  • 18m 13s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my strength so I just relax and go at my pace. Getting run into by someone going the other way was fairly disturbing but c'est la vie. Went without a wetsuit and it led to my fastest per 100m time of the season. Not sure if that was from all the OWS lately or better arm movement without the suit.
What would you do differently?:

Should rinse off inside of goggles better, sighting was impaired when they fogged.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I asked questions of a marshal before the race and found out a fence which was in the way would be taken down before the tri, which helped. Scoped out the transition entrances and exits much better which made things easier. Compact transition area helped and was appreciated.

Dry legs and clean sand off feet. Wet socks and shoes led to blisters, and sand led to discomfort.
Bike
  • 38m 49s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat course was certainly fun (fat guys hate hills).

Should have gone harder on laps 2 and 3. Need to start using heart rate monitor on the bike to get a better handle on exertion level. This was my first conscious attempt at pacing, needs work but has potential.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Folded over the heels of both shoes putting them on, think it was from having wet socks. Need to be aware of that for future. Sitting in transition is still a good idea for me.

Scout the place out better. Because a fence and all the kids bikes were removed it looked differently than pre-race.
Run
  • 33m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely not a runner. I used the tips and tricks I've read about: pumping arms more, pushing off with feet, head up, and it all comes down to being 50 lbs rich. It was my fastest per km speed but that was likely courtesy of the pancake-flat course.
Didn't walk any which was an improvement.
Just noticed my per km time has dropped from 7:10 in June to 6:39, so have to be happy about that.

Actually do some run training.
Good intentions don't mean much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training and the 50+ lbs of ballast I'm retaining for tax purposes.

Event comments:

This race is not part of a series so it has more of a small event feel to it. Was still organized and run well, just not elaborate. No vendors, no opportunity to buy anything. Having parking right next to the course was a welcome luxury.

Last updated: 2011-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:13 | 766 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/53
Overall: 0/243
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: A little weird, not your usual three-sided box, more of a short out, long across, longer diagonal back to starting point. This made it easy for people to swim into opposing traffic and I hit someone head-on who was *well* off the preferred line.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:38:49 | 12.43 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/53
Overall: 87/243
Wind: None
Course: Four laps of dead flat 5k loop. Taking the 180 degree turn at the ends is a skill I was unfamiliar with and didn't do very well - this is the only such course I've seen so far. First race on the tri bike, liked it. Still got passed more than I'd prefer. Pacing was better, reasonable on the first lap, better on two and three, then all out on four (loved that one). I averaged 30.9 km/h, the guy who came in first in my age group (and best bike leg of the day) was just over 40 km/h. Truly humbling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:12 | 03.11 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/53
Overall: 216/243
Course: Narrow walk/bike path, smooth and well shaded by trees in some spots. Nothing special, just confined when there was traffic. Total lack of distance markers meant when someone said "Only 200m left to go" I treated it as such. It wasn't, wasn't particularly close, and I ran outta gas before the tape.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes