General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Guy Wanna Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-10 11:03 PM

Subject: Fat Guy Wanna Tri

Hi there! Figured I'd introduce myself.

In Spring of 2010 I weighed 368 lbs. I started walking and rekindled my love for exercise. I ran my first 5k this past 4th of July in 35:XX minutes.

Since the 5k I decided I needed another goal to shoot for. Triathlon was the answer. I'm now 250 lbs and running 3.3-4+ miles three times a week. I've knocked a bit over 3 minutes from my 5k time so far and hoping to finally get to a 6mph average this month. I'm swimming 3-4 times a week, out in Lake Michigan. Since there are no coaches in my rural area, I'm self-teaching through YouTube videos and working entirely on technique at the moment.

When it's too cold to swim in the lakes I'll get a pool membership. Hopefully I'll have the form down by that time. Right now the problem is finding a breathing rhythm. It'd also help if there weren't 6-7 foot waves out there at the moment, heh.

The big problem for me is I don't have a bike and I'm flat broke, unable to buy even a used bike right now. But I used to be an avid mountain biker back before I got all fat, so hopefully in April my fortune will change and I can start working on that.

The goal is to do a sprint tri next year, hopefully around 200 lbs or less, with a 5k time of 25 minutes or less.

This site has already been a great help with its vast knowledge and I look forward to keeping up with it while on my journey to become a triathlete!

Edited by Iyapo 2011-08-10 11:06 PM

2011-08-11 12:33 AM
in reply to: #3638651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Fat Guy Wanna Tri
Congrats!  Your progress is impressive.  I'd love to do 5 km in 35 min. and I just want to lose 30 lbs.  Good luck on the bike hunt.  Don't rush it and take this time to research bike sources and what sort of a bike you want.  Let us know how you make out.
2011-08-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3638651

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks
Subject: RE: Fat Guy Wanna Tri
Welcome! Good for you for setting another goal and working towards it! You'll have alot of fun doing "tri's" and will be hooked after the 1st one. This has been my first season and I have seen plenty of people on all kinds of bikes, tri, road, mountain, cruisers. Watch Craigslist. I have seen ad's for free bikes. No these aren't the best bikes but any bike is better than no bike. I wish you the best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Guy Wanna Tri Rss Feed