United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 20m 51s
Overall Rank = 1374/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 30/89
Pre-race routine:

We were to leave on Wednesday afternoon for a relaxed trip to LP, but Life interupted and our plans changed. Instead, I drove to Marie's and spent the night at her place for a 6am Thursday (drive it all in one day) departure. I enjoyed being there for Marie, my Kona Hero in a very stressful time of her life. We made the ride to LP, checked in and hit the water for an easy swim. It felt great to get stretched out in the water after the car. Dinner at the Dancing Bears (awesome!) and to bed. We met up with Joe at 6:30 to ride the run course and spin out the legs a bit. Much hillier than I recalled from the car!!! And HOT! We were in a heat wave! Marie and Paul rode the first and last portion of the course, then we all went to get registered. IT'S HOT HOT HOT! After registration we got ART, and checked out the expo (there was a very cool M-dot poster that had all of the participants names making the mdot---except mine. :( I was refunded in error, and wasn't on the list when it went to print. BOOOOO!) I put back the IMLP kit(just too much $) and bought my mug, sticker and a tshirt. Steve headed back, and I hung out with Dave and Marie at the expo a bit more, purchasing some new speed laces (that I love) to race in much to Rangers horror! :) Stomach was off...not horrible, but not right either. After a little down time it was time to head out to the athlete dinner/meeting. Crappy food in a hot tent, but soooo exciting to be there! Matt Long(the NYC fireman who got hit by a bus on his bike and came back to run and complete IMLP in 2009) was the speaker (such an inspirational story...yes I cried!!!) and Mike Reilly was awesome. As for the athlete meeting, they should have covered transitions much better as it was a bit confusing and would have been much more so if you'd never done an IM before. Day 4 of staying up too late came to a close after the dinner. Saturday had meeting for coffee (there was a great little coffee house across the street from the hotel)and hitting the water at 7:15 to swim at race start time. We walked back to the Olympic oval, getting some pics before dropping off our babies and T-bags, racked it up and Steve and I headed back while Dave and Marie got ART. HOT...It was flippin' HOT again. I finally got a little time to review my race strategy, put my feet up and try and center myself. Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. We were a party of 12...it was a great meal at Caffe Rustica with good friends and family! I had a glass of chianti! I figure if my roomy the Kona girl has a glass of red, it won't kill me! ;) Paul was hilarous as always and it was really nice to see Steve (aka The Hottub Guy from IMFL and Captain Dave's friend) pre race and wish him well! Then Marie and I stayed up too late once again (we were in bed by 8:30, just not lights out till about 10:15) and once again a crappy nights sleep before the big show!
Event warmup:

Hit the coffee shop by 4:45, met up with Ranger, Steve, Paul, Marie and a new friend Renae (32, 4 little kids and doing her first IM!) Walked to body marking, then transition, saw Joe and his wife Paula (hugs!) set up the bikes, walked with Dave and Steve to special needs drop on Mirror lake and to the swim start. It was NOT wetsuit legal, but all of Team Fraser chose to wear wetsuits as none of us were expecting a Kona slot or AG award. Marie swam without her wetsuit to AG. Ran into Detroit Dan's BIL Joe and gave him a pre-race hug. Team mate Joe told us of his swim plan...start wide,right, come to the line at the boat house. Steve got in the water to seed himself at the front (rock star swimmer!) and Dave and I made our way across the lake wide, stood on shore for a bit till a few minutes after the pros took off, then made our way about 2/3 over and a few folks deep, treading water taking in the whole scene to the Rolling Stones "Start it Up"!!!
Swim
  • 1h 08m 35s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wowza...what a nutty swim! I knew this was a tight venue that would be a fast swim, but I didn't expect so many people to be so ...I don't know..rude. :) The usual punching, pushing, grabbing went down, and I even got my goggles knocked off at one point, but even so, I could clearly see people's bubbles in front of me, so I chose not to swim over them, if I could avoid it. Many many many people did not make the same choice. Kinda pissed me off, but I just decided to get more aggressive, and stay in the draft off the cable anyways. I'm happy I made the decision to be more aggressive than passive. I didn't lose much energy for it and got the benefit of the draft. Loop one I started wide, but ended up along the cable pretty quickly. It was a total nightmare at the buoy's as no one knows how to swim them. Should have swum under like Scribby did! I focused on looking down, my catch and staying calm. Worked like a charm! I was pleased to see my first loop time was 33:47 when I hit the beach. Yay! Never practiced the dolfin dive, so skipped that on getting back in the drink. Loop 2 I was swimming a little wider off the cable, but wanted to get more of the draft so I headed closer to the cable. I got clocked in the eye hard enough to lift my head up and yell F*CK just like at IMFL on this loop. :) I settled myself down, tried to stay focused and before I knew it I was getting stripped and running to T1 with a new IM swim PR!
What would you do differently?:

Swim closer on the cable from the get go, swim under the buoy's to avoid wasting time turning there.
Transition 1
  • 09m 18s
Comments:

Well, this was a definate improvement over my epic LONG t1 at IMFL! :) The run from Mirror lake to the Olympic Oval is kind of long, but not horrible. The bags were super organized and my number was on a the second rack so it was easy to grab. I got seated and a volunteer right away, and used my checklist. Towel,gu,sunblock,butt butter,shorts,gloves, lid, glasses, GO! But I'd forgotten my butt butter and took a moment to look for it. I ran out carrying my shoes and put them on at the bike as it was a long trot on the oval before hitting the grass where the bikes were racked. Another wonderful volunteer had my bike for me, and off I went!

Well, I was 5 minutes faster, but I can still improve. I like the checklist...It was a good way to not "think" in transition. I just need to be more speedy in there!
Bike
  • 6h 34m 30s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow...this is an awesome bike course! Gorgeous, challenging, scary and lots of crowd support. I'd ridden the course during a training weekend 3 times and am sooo glad I did. It made race day so much easier to handle. My main concerns were riding smart so I'd have legs for the run and not wiping out on the Keane descents. I stuck to my plan pretty well (which was hard with the rollers so early in the course) and felt good overall. What I didn't expect was a stomach ache on the bike...my favorite bit and best leg of the race. Ususally in training when I have a stomach ache it disapates with harder work, but because I was in zone 1 it wasn't going away. I knew if I went harder though, I'd have more than a stomach ache to deal with on the run so I just dealt with it. I kept eating and drinking to my plan and though my goal was process oriented (work the plan so I could run!) I had a rough time estimate and beat it by 11 minutes. That was cool. :) But even cooler was the crowd support and aid stations. Bagpipes playing on 9N, folks out on their lawns on the way to Upper Jay, the Christmas in July Aid station before the big climb into town(including the hot guy in the blue kilt, and the 2 bikini guys wearing santa hats on loop one and british flag speedo's on loop 2!), and the mobs of folks cheering their heads off at Papa Bear! Not to mention the road into transition and out of transition in town just being covered with supporters of the race (and Loren...Steve's dad!) I felt like a rock star doing the ride into town finishing loop 1 and (my bad) probably went a tad too hard here. :) I think my long rides and lab time had me well prepared for the bike course here.

Not have a stomach ache! I really didn't eat properly leading up to the race, so this may have reared it's ugly head here. I would like to be better on the bike AND be able to run well. :) Overall I am happy that my bike split was a (barely) negative split and that I felt good pretty much the whole time in the saddle. I would liked to have only stopped at special needs and gone potty there, but I didn't know they did not have port a pots at both ends of SN so I had to stop about mile 70 as I still can't manage to pee on my bike. Next time I'd make my infinite liquid for SN as well (powder clogged the straw for a bit in the speedfil) and I had to wait 10 miles to get more fluid to mix it with.
Transition 2
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

Well, this is another improvement over IMFL, and one of my process goals was to speed up transitions. :) I was moving a little stiffly into the bag area, grabbed my stuff and hit the tent again. I had another wonderful volunteer help me right away. I felt fine clothes wise so I didn't change. Wiped my face with my baby wipes I'd included, had my helper put on more sun block,l stretched just a tad, socks, shoes, visor, salt tabs, gus and go go go!

Just speed up a bit. :)
Run
  • 5h 23m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I had really hoped for a solid run this IM. My double down secret goal was to run (my actual RUN time for IMFL was 5:00) 5:00 which would be a huge deal as this course is much harder, but it was not to be. After slowing my self down out of town on the downhill and the awesome crowds I hit River Road and had a side stitch!!! Crap! I was pissed! I wasn't working hard and now I had to walk! I thought, this is gonna be one long assed marathon if I can't run! I tried 3 times to run and the stitch came back. I just kept walking. Paul came up behind me and asked how I was doing...I replied "not so hot!" And he reminded me it's 4 10k's...just take it by the 10K! It was what I needed to hear at just the right time. I was able to basically execute my plan of walking the aid stations and running between them unless my hr got past 150 or on tough hills after that, but I admit to walking longer 2 times during the race than I should have based on my hr...once with Ranger about the half way point, and once after mile 20 with a gal I'd met on the bike. She of course left me in her dust lol! :) The other big issue I'd had was needing to hit the porta pots. Way to many stops....4! IMFL I stopped for 1 loooong stop, and this race was like the half at TTT...stop, use the potty, leave the potty and feel like needing to go again! Soooooo frustrating!!!

But there were highlights too...The dancing banana's, seeing Steve, Joe, Marie, Ranger and Paul out on the course, being cheered by Steve's Dad (and giving him a kiss each loop), the hot guy in the blue kilt cheering us all on and going hoarse, the guys on Mirror Lake Drive making margarihta's in a blender that was attached to their trainer and hearing "260 watts equals 3 margarihtas!" , seeing my teammate Corey on the last bit of the run (he was a traffic guard) and hearing him say "Time to sprint it in Marshall!" and the feeling of that sprint, high fiving kids and spectators lining the Olympic Oval while I ran to the finish and heard Mike Reilly call my name! :)

So many things on this run...not mentally get soft because of the stitch early on, not drink as much fluid, not take the longer 2 walk breaks, use more salt tabs, figure out why I felt so hungry on the run. I need to toughen up on the run. Still. I was ranked better on this run than IMFL, but I still need more improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

My ever faithful number one training partner Ranger was there waiting for me in his shiny blanket wearing a big smile when I crossed. I am a blessed girl to have his friendship! :) We got our picture together, gathered up our stuff, drank our recovery drink and went for a massage. It was not a great massage, but hey...it was free. When we got out Steve and Leeanne were there to help carry our bags back and we rode our bikes back to the hotel (uphill I might add! :-0) Marie had promised a beer for me at the finish, but she was a no show. I was taking a shower when I heard her come back into the room and she handed me my beer! :) Hot shower and a cold beer...awesome! We all shared some champagne toasting a great day (and Marie's 4th AG place) and headed out to the Dancing Bears for dinner, which I really wasn't ready to eat. Ranger however, killed that burger and those fries with abandon! :) Me...3 bites and a few fries and that was it. After food, we walked back to the oval to watch the final finishers. Dave and I hung with Joe and his family while Steve, Leeanne and Marie went to the bleachers. It was an excellent finish to a great day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run fitness, poor diet leading up to the race, mental toughness on the run. I think I paced the bike properly, swam within my capabilities and need to HTFU on the run. I'm getting there, but I have NOT arrived! :)

Event comments:

I loved this course, the crowd support, the beauty and the challenge it offered, and finishing on the Olympic Oval. I love that I pushed myself to do things I was afraid of to prepare for the race. I love that I felt ready on race day. I love crossing the line and becoming IRON again. I love that I finished only 23 minutes behind my IMFL time on a much tougher course. I love that while I didn't meet all my process goals, I exceeded some and am happy with my race and all it taught me. I love that I got to share the experience with some great friends..Ranger, Steve, Marie, Paul and Joe. I love that my family supports me in my nutty pursuit of long distance triathlon! I love that so many friends and family took time to send me love, FB messages, texts and mojo on the day!!! Blessed...that's what I am! :)

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:35 | 3862 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/89
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot fusion full
Course: 2 loop long narrow rectangle with a short run on the beach to enter for the second loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 09:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:34:30 | 112 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/89
Performance: Good
Darn it! I rebooted the garmin and didn't set it to mile laps so I don't a breakdown of the splits or power. :( BUT ... I did a negative split (just barely!) 30 miles 133:08 19.33mph avg 56 miles 3:17:56 16.98mph avg 26 miles 1:43:25 15:08mph avg 112 miles 6:34:30 17.03mph avg 141 avg hr 123 avg watts 89 avg rpm
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course downhill, then rollers, then killer descent, then flats, then long climb to town, and do it all again! :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:23:23 | 26.2 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/89
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop course-Downhill out of town (some very steep) to River Road which is mostly flat with some rollers, then back up those hills to town to an out and back on Mirror lake road and do it again!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-11 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2011-08-17 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3640395

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Wow, Trish, your an Ironman x2. How rockstar! Stellar race on this tough as nails course. Amazing swim! So so so fast. Glad you loved the bike course as much as I did -- felt like I was right there with you in your race report. The 2 BIG climbs on the run course are such beasts so late in the race, making this race a tremendous accomplishment.

Sounds like you're a little frustrated by the run, but you will have that race where you accept the pain and overcome the body's scream to slow down and that will give you the confidence to rawk the run from then on. You're such a talented athlete! I'm sooooo proud of you, Trish!
2012-06-08 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3640395

User image

Regular
Buffalo, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
these reports are a terrific source of motivation and information!!  thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed