General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your DOH! moments in triathlon ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3640778

Subject: RE: Your DOH! moments in triathlon ...

Hello all!  These are some great stories.  So great that I just registered so that I could post my DOH! Moment.

When I swim, I can only take a breath on the left side (when my right are is down in the water); during my first triathlon in NJ the swim course was out thru the breakers, then parallel to the beach and back thru to the shore.  The water was really rough and the current was going North to South.  For me this meant that when I took a breath I was facing England.  I had a difficult enough time with the open water aspect of this as it was my first experience that I didn't know how far I had gone.  I had already made the first turn and was swimming parallel to the beach, looking for the second buoy so I could head for the shore.  The swim was kickin' my butt and I had the thought pass thru my mind "This might be too much for me?  Maybe I am in over my head?  I'll give this about 10 more seconds and if I don't come up to this second buoy, I'm gonna have to waive to a volunteer on a jet ski or surf board to come get me." Just as I am thinking this, a volunteer on a surfboard says "Hey buddy!  You've gone to far, make a right and head back to shore."  I was so very relieved to know this part was all but done and I can get out of here.  When I get to the beach and start to head back to the transition area, I see that most (read: everyone) people are reaching the shore a good 70-80 yards before me!  I would have cursed my stupidity but I was having a hard enough time breathing and keeping my heart from jumping out of my chest.

2011-08-19 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3640778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider
Subject: RE: Your DOH! moments in triathlon ...

My two goofs;

At my very first race, I was coming out of T2 and it was blazingly hot that day - like 94. So I thought I'd be proactive in cooling down. I grabbed a cup of water off the table and poured it over my head.  Then a slurry of sweat/salt water ran down my face, into my eyes and my mouth. There was nothing I could do to wipe it off and out of my eyes, so I just blinked it out and suffered.

At my 3rd race, the swim start was 3/4 mile from Transition (and another 1/4 mile from parking.)  I forgot my cap and goggles.  With 20 minutes to go, I ran back to the car and got them, then back to the start.  Which was an in-water start, 300 meters from shore.  Just as I was wading into the lake, the start horn went off.  Tired from the run, and with 300 meters to go, my race started.

Also, I ended up doing a personal best at that race, and now do a 1.5 mile run to warm up before all my races.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your DOH! moments in triathlon ... Rss Feed  

of 4