Fleet Feet Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 46-50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, ate bowl of cereal with blueberries, drank coffee. Was at race site by 6:15, got marked, inflated tires and set up transition.
Event warmup:

None to speak of. Jumped into diving pool to acclimate myself to the water. Despite overnite lows in the 60s last few nites, water was fairly warm.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 450 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

No problems with speed or endurance, but halfway thru the course, there were no longer stripes on the bottom of the pool. Without these, I had a heck of a time swimming in a straight line. Kept running into the righthand rope. Somehow I actually went under the rope and ended up in wrong lane. Volunteer at end of lane got my attention and I simply turned around and went back the way I came. I have no idea how I got under the rope because I was never under water (and it couldn't have been for very long because no one passed me in opposite direction - remember this was a serpentine course).
What would you do differently?:

Might have to begin practicing sighting for chrissakes.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This event doesn't break down the events individually and my watch isn't working so I don't know exactly how long I spent but it was pretty quick. Already had singlet on in pool and rode sockless for first time so simply needed to slip on shoes, sunglasses, racebelt and helmet and I was off.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I signed up early this year so started 29 minutes into the competition (its first come, first start after the local tri clubs go off). That meant there weren't too many bikes on course when I started. It became more crowded as I went on, but really felt good. First time I rode my new tri bike in an event and passed dozens of people. Only passed by one guy the whole 6 laps. Caught my race buddy on 4th lap (he started 15 seconds ahead of me and is a much stronger swimmer than I) and passed him like he was standing still. Wife showed up right after I started so had a cheering section every time I passed the starting area.

Might have to dial it back a bit. Pushed the last lap really hard and my thighs were burning somewhat by the transition. Not sure its worth the extra 10-20 seconds I gain.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not long. Switched shoes, removed helmet, threw down a few energy jelly beans and took off.
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

No matter how much I hydrate, I always seem to develop a side stitch at some point. Never got too bad, was simply more of an annoyance than anything else. Started off feeling quite strong despite pushing the bike and actually had to force myself to slow down several times. One small hill about 1 mile/3 mile mark so walked it and walked thru both water stations. I was hoping to make the 2 mile mark before my buddy caught me but he did so around 1.5. We ran together for half mile or so until I told him I was going to back off the pace and encouraged him to keep going strong. He finished 2 minutes ahead of me which is much less than years past.

Nothing but keep working on my endurance. Really felt considerably better than not only last year but another sprint just 5 weeks ago.
Post race
Warm down:

This is by far the best local event in terms of post race chow. They never run out of water and several flavors of Gatorade. By 9:30 there was pizza, doughnuts, fruit and subs out. By 10:30 there was a fried chicken buffet set out.

Last updated: 2011-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 450 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50m serpentine swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 mile loop thru residential neighborhood so had to circle it 6 times. Flat and recently repaved so it was fantastic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same as bike course. Surprising there aren't more collisions between bikers and runners but have never seen one.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-13 12:41 PM

New user
Swansea, IL
Subject: Wood River Triathlon

2011-08-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3642098

Veteran
Subject: RE: Wood River Triathlon

Good job, man!

I raced this event too.  By the time I started, the course was packed! Fun time though, glad you had a good race.  I'll do this one again, for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wood River Triathlon Rss Feed