General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Thread: Fall Creek Falls OLY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-14 9:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Official Thread: Fall Creek Falls OLY
Anyone else doing this race?

2011-08-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3643442

Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Official Thread: Fall Creek Falls OLY
I am doing it. Can't wait!
2011-08-18 11:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN

I am. Second Olympic and I still suck at running!

2011-08-23 8:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
well, cancelled due to weather (only if they would've waited an hour!), but alas he's doing a very nice thing by setting it up the way he has for next year. sucks about the people stealing the finishers stuff though, crappy..
2011-08-24 8:49 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
Yeah, it sucks. It was my only olympic planned for this year. I talked to Race director after he cancell and said he would probably give free or deep discount to the Atomic Du. I am glad he decided to discount next years race because i wasn't to thrill about doing a Du. I don't understand why it couldn't be delayed for an hour or so. They didn't close the roads or anything and it is Sunday most people probably would come to the park until after church anyway.
2011-08-25 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3656736

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

iruptacopula - 2011-08-24 8:49 AM Yeah, it sucks. It was my only olympic planned for this year. I talked to Race director after he cancell and said he would probably give free or deep discount to the Atomic Du. I am glad he decided to discount next years race because i wasn't to thrill about doing a Du. I don't understand why it couldn't be delayed for an hour or so. They didn't close the roads or anything and it is Sunday most people probably would come to the park until after church anyway.

I'm sure it was a tough call.  Did he have any way to know the weather was going to break?  Or maybe he couldn't keep all the volunteers for a few hours later than they'd planned to?

I wasn't there, wasn't planning to race but am pretty sad for all the folks who were disappointed.

Puts him in a tough spot.  If he gives everyone a free entry next year (or to any other event) it takes revenue from him next year.  But of course, he didn't provide the service folks had paid for...yet incurred most or all of the cost...So it's a tough spot to be in. 

I wonder what event insurance would cost?  I mean the type of insurance that would guarantee his income if he were to have to cancel and refund all the $$?  I think concert promoters have something like this in case the venue burns down, or the act gets sick...Short of that, someone's got to lose out.

2011-08-25 9:16 PM

Extreme Veteran

He's giving a pretty significant discount so it'll probaby be worth it to sign up again. Can't control the weather, but he should've given it more time to see what was going on as he called it pretty quickly after the storm broke. Certain logistics you can't control, just sucks that I was out the travel,food,hotel, etc and not have a race to show for it.

We'll see what happens next year as to if I sign up or not.

2011-08-27 6:41 PM

New user
Old Hickory
Is there a discount for next years race? It looked like it was still $70 for next year. I did see that the Atomic is $30 until the 31st so that seems like a good deal. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that race day events has the same race, same name one week prior? Odd.Didn't see anyone stealing anything. They did give away the aluminum finishers bottles and Gatorade to anyone that was around. Guessing that was because they all had 2011 on them.
2011-09-01 4:26 PM

User image

The reports on the weather we received from Park Rangers on radar after the first tornado like storm came though were that additional storms were headed to the park and were worse. For the safety of all racers, volunteers, Park personnel and spectators, we had to cancel.

I don't know if event cancellation insurance is available for triathlons? I'll check with carrier who provides USAT master policy covering all events. They may be able to add a rider at some cost that would eventually be worked into profit/loss structure. They have riders for higher liability levels required by some venues and municipalities.

The discount offered to racers is 50% to next Aug. 19th event through December 31st. Everyone was sent a code to get the discount. It's a $6K to $8K possible loss for future event but competitors lost too in 2011. I've directed these Atomic events in past years. We added triathlon to go along with our Du since we are right on the water & after other triathlons were cancelled. Other earlier event is new & using different courses. Racers were given discount to our Oct. 1 races as an additional courtesy.

Please let me know if you misplaced discount code and I will check roster and resend.

Thanks!

Kevin
www.EnduranceSportsManagement.com
2011-09-02 12:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the discounts Kevin. Doing the Atomic and will probably do FCF next year too. Check your profile, you need to change your website Smile
2011-09-13 11:02 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
Just got a refund check in the mail from ImAthlete for $10. It was for my 1 day USAT membership. Wasn't expecting that!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Thread: Fall Creek Falls OLY Rss Feed