World Triathlon Corporation
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Seths overnight. Got back from a class reunion @10:00...then proceeded to not fall asleep until after 12, woke at 2:30, up at 4:50 for good. Not good! I need sleep! Dressed, packed up car and head to the site, chatting on the phone several times with Deb Ludden, who was sorta lost. Banana, Coke. (upset stomach, dizziness upon waking...darn that not sleeping!) 15 min drive to site, then long walk to T.
Event warmup:

none, unless shivering in the low 60's and wind count!
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

4 swimmers went of every 5 seconds. You set yourself up in order of your expected finish time. (ie like a marathon). Set my self at the 9-10min. Guess the people ahead of me underestimated THEIR time. Spent the mojority of the time trying to nav. around slower swimmers. Seemed a bit long of a course.
What would you do differently?:

set myself in an earlier finish time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

very odd set up. long run to T1 from swim. getting to bike out involved a very long run out of my area, trying to dart between racks in another area set perpendicular to our, and around to bike out. not much of a way around a long t1.

not mess with my race belt too much (my friend put my number on my belt while I was doing something else setting up), since my number was upside down on the belt! (she snapped it into the bottom holes in stead of the top!)
Bike
  • 39m 43s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Clipped in easily, just getting up to speed when "damn" a guy with a reflective saftey vestin an XUV, pulls off the side of the closed (by continuos metal baricades) and directly across in front of my group of about 5 bikes. People yell, he backs up, 3 go through then he pulls BACK in front of me! (he's now facing the barricades!) I slam on the brakes, swerve around the back of him while (not my usual)Im yelling at him! Can't believe no one crashed. Rode hard, continuously passing a few hundred riders. 2 lap course.
nice flat course!

have someone take the guy in the SUVs keys...or keep him in a choke hold and away from the racers! Otherwise, bike strong, felt good. VERY windy!
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

still have an upside down race number! Gel as I ran out onto the bike course, put hat on while running. Was long run back to rack from bike in. Nice and close to run out!

not much!
Run
  • 23m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

actually took my race number off the belt, and reattached right side up while running! (no small feat, getting those little buttons to snap on in the right place through the little holes- success!) shins and feet felt really tight first mile, then ok. Really tried to push, ran well. Tripped on the brick path about half mile from finish, almost face planted! Walked through water stations.

have race number right side up before race! otherwise, happy with this run!
Post race
Warm down:

went back out on course to run last mile in with Deb (poor girl, she missed lap two on the bike...but she did the run anyway!! Nice choice) Had to wait about 1 1/2 hrs for awards ceremony. It was cloding up, getting even more windy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

race was as expected (run sl better than expected!)

Event comments:

LOTS and lots of volunteers! Lots of high school age kids yelling support all over the course! REAL Orea cookies at the finish! (no chocolate milk though) Really glad I decided to add this race on a week ago, raced with Deb. We did our first tri ever together here 14 years ago. (different race, same site!)

not sure of overall place yet, or how many were in my age group. (weird posting of results, based on the strange time trial start...listed by clock time...then your actual time was at the end of the row) Will wait for on line posting, then add info later! oh yeah, Naperville still has a boat load of rocking fast athletes!!

Last updated: 2011-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 437 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: M shaped swim in manmade quarry turned into cement bottom "pool" w/ sand beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:43 | 13.67 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
13 mph winds, yes, that early in the morning!
Wind: Some
Course: Clipped in easily, just getting up to speed when "damn" a guy with a reflective saftey vestin an XUV, pulls off the side of the closed (by continuos metal baricades) and directly across in front of my group of about 5 bikes. People yell, he backs up, 3 go through then he pulls BACK in front of me! (he's now facing the barricades!) I slam on the brakes, swerve around the back of him while (not my usual)Im yelling at him! Can't believe no one crashed. Rode hard, continuously passing a few hundred riders. 2 lap course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:58 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
1/8:04 2/7:56 3.1/7:57
Course: mostly flat, very small inclines, fair amount on brick bike/run path through the park. water at start of each mile. nice amount of shade, windy, felt nice!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes