Run With Paula Events
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 27/382
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Decided the night before that I was going to do the race when I had found out that my girlfriend was going to be photgraphing the race. Tried to stretch out well the night before because I had done a 3 hour ride that day that had me a bit tight.
Event warmup:

Walked out to about the 3/4 mile mark with my girlfriend so that she could get situated to photgraph and then I jogged back to the start and got stretched out a little
Run
  • 19m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first stand alone 5k race since high school. I wasnt quite sure what to expect and I have not been doing any speed work to speak of but thought it would be fun just to see what I could do. Got a good start maybe went out a little too fast. Had a hard time mentaly during the 2nd mile and then again for about the last half. Need to build up more confidence and experience in pushing myself hard and just fighting through the pain. Overall I was happy with my results I am glad I did the race and although it hurt it was a lot of fun.
What would you do differently?:

Be mentally tougher. Push through the pain and know that I can hold the pace.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a bit and then walked around for about 20 minutes. Took an ice bath when I got home and then put my compression leggings on. Legs felt rreally good the next day was able to go for a 6 mile run no problem.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental toughness and then of course my weight. My eating has not been the best so I am still sitting at about 205. I really want to lose about 25 pounds or so.

Event comments:

Was a fun and well put on 5k.

Last updated: 2011-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:23 | 03.11 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 17/382
Performance: Good
Mile 1 6:00 mile 2 6:20 mile 3 6:14 last tenth was a 5:30 pace Average heart rate 180 Max heart rate 190
Course: out and back course along a bike path mostly almost completely flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes