MCCS Commanding Officers Fitness Series MCBH
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 21s
Overall Rank = 123/159
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4am and had breakfast. Drove over to MCBH. Walked around and used the porta potty a couple times (I was well hydrated). Talked to rack mates and checked on the revised course map (course was changed from the last time I did the race).
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just walked around.
Swim
  • 12m 5s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sort of annoyed by my swim time. Don't know if the new course was measured long or the old course was short, but my training tells me I should have done this swim faster than I did. Compared to 2009, when I last did this race, I lost about 10 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Swim, swim, swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Faster transition by 20 seconds over 2009. 7/13 AG, 61/159 OA.

Practice. Haven't been practicing transitions this year.
Bike
  • 44m 1s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 15.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Arrgh!!! My only tri this season and I just had to get a flat on the bike. I'd been going well catching and passing people left and right over the first lap. Then it happened right at the start of lap 2 as I was just starting to motor along at about 23mph along the flightline--the unmistakable sound of a flat rear tire. I pulled off the course and began to get to work. Once I got the tube replaced and inflated and got the wheel back on, I powered along again passing people left and right. In the end I estimate I lost at least 7 minutes. My official bike time differed from my Cateye computer by just that amount. The Cateye had my time as 36:58.

The headwinds were definitely blowing on the taxiways and on runway 03. Stayed in aero for nearly the entire ride except for the one hill on the course and a couple of the corners.

Not get a flat. There wasn't much else I'd have done differently for this ride. The headwinds were strong enough that times weren't as fast as I'd have expected with only a few people averaging better than 20mph. I had an overall good ride except for losing time from the flat.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Faster by 54 seconds from 2009. 4/13 AG, 59/159 OA

Same as T1 comment. Practice.
Run
  • 30m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Managed to pr the run by around 3 minutes, though that's only because the steep uphill that was in previous editions of this race was cut out this year. Felt depleted of energy at the start of the run, but gradually picked up the pace as I clipped off each km. Probably could have run faster if I hadn't expended myself as much as I did on the bike after my flat.

Nothing. My current training block is in preparation for the Honolulu Marathon this year. I should continue to get faster in my run the more I run.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode the bike easy for a couple of miles back to swim/bike transition to get my things and load the bags into my car. Rode back easy to the finish to get my times, then rode back to my car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting a flat and fixing it. Expending too much energy on the bike after the flat trying to make up lost time hurt me on the run.

Event comments:

I pr'ed my run so that's a plus. If it wasn't for the flat on the bike, I'd have pr'ed the bike and my overall time. As it was, I ended up about 2 minutes slower than my 2009 race. Will do this race again next year when the course goes back to its original configuration to see if I can pr all three legs in my new age group.

Last updated: 2011-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:05 | 547 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 90/159
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangular out and back in Kaneohe Bay. Course altered - they moved the buoys closer to shore so longer hypotenuse and base leg and shorter return leg.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:01 | 11.1 miles | 15.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 114/159
Wind: Some
Course: Two lap course around the base flightline, runways, and taxiways ending at run transition. Course altered - One section in previous editions was cut out due to construction and a new section was added. The new section might have added about a half-mile extra to the course. Bike computer read mileage as 11.6.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:20 | 03.11 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 138/159
Course: Single loop with one hard hill right after mile 1. Course altered - due to construction, the steep backside of the hill in previous editions was cut out and a flatter section heading towards runway 22 was added.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?