Sun Multisport Events
78F / 26C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 13m 51s
Overall Rank = 57/359
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am;had a 90min drive to event. Morning coffee,PB & J, and banana on the ride with plenty of water. Was one of the first 25 people into transition. Benefit of this= No line at the bathrooms! Hung out in car for a while. It rained on the way there, all the way up to race start. Fine for the swim and run portions, but scary for bike segment.
Event warmup:

Rode a quick 5 minute loop, ran about 1/2 mile, stretched, and got in 10 minutes of warm up swim.
Swim
  • 05m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started right in the front of the pack on the swim segment and pushed hard from the beginning. My heartrate was pretty high, halfway thru had a hard time finding a rhythm. Could see the shoreline finish, so I just kept going as hard as I could. PAID OFF! My first ever tri last year, I did the 1/4 mile swim in 8 minutes. This year, 5min 08seconds, beating last years time by 3 minutes. Hours of swim training have finally paid off. Used wetsuit even though water temps were 78degrees. Was in second wave so I didn't have to wait around wearing it, not to mention it was already raining/drizzling.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, work on more speed workouts and getting into a better breathing rhythm while at a higher heart-rate.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Small uphill run thru T1. Wetsuit off,shoes on, helmet,glasses on. Small jog to mount line.

Because of the wet weather and grassy transition, didn't clip shoes into bike. Actually need the shoes clip to help with traction on the slippery grass.
Bike
  • 42m 50s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race using my new carbon fiber race wheels/dic, which meant using a tubular tire that was narrower then my training wheelset. Wet road conditions, really held me up. Would have like to push harder, but I was araid of crashing due to slick conditions. Overall good. Would love to ride this course on completely dry roads, Topped out at 34 mph on one of the downhill rollers.

Push harder. Held back due to WET slick roads. All corners taken around very slowly.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Back into grassy field transition. Helmet off, shoes changed. Put race belt on while leaving transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Had to stop twice to fetch a rock out of shoe. Held good pace, but couldn't seem to find a good breathing rhythm. Ran a 7min 20sec mile pace. Happy with this. Have been pushing sub 7min/miles in training, so going just over on race day was pretty good for me, considering on 4 months ago I was suffering from a tibial stress fracture! Overall-good.

Work on matching pace with higher heart rate. More speed workouts/endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, water, fruit. Hung out to watch other finishers after getting my finishers metal/food. Checked unofficial results, then packed up, changed into dry cloths and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WET roads. Would love to go back next year and really push it on the bike. I know I could go faster/do better. Since biking is my strong-suit, mentally hard to pull-back race effort due to road conditions.

Event comments:

Very organized with plenty of volunteers. Hope to come back next year.

Last updated: 2011-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:08 | 440 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 35/359
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Three distinct buoys, counter-clock wise course. In water start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:50 | 14 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Overall: 0/359
Wind: None
Course: Single loop totally 14 miles. A couple of hills, and a lot of rolling, fast downhills. Very smooth course, very good road conditions. A few tight turns requiring, a big slow down.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:22 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 0/359
Course: Single loop around the lake, first 2/3 thru off-road trails, included running thru a cornfield, and wooded trails. A few slippery rocks, tree roots. Most flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes