Team Magic
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 55s
Overall Rank = 20/779
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/59
Pre-race routine:

got up at 3am on the road by 3:30am drove for 2.5 hrs to race site. But I arrived with plenty of time and had a stress free pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

Jogged gently for about 1 mile. Stretched a little. got in the water for about 200 meters of swim.
Swim
  • 10m 47s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad swim course. It was waist deep 100 yards out. But the bottom wasn't conducive to running in. Rocks, Trash, Debris, broken bottles.
I did some dives for a while.
What would you do differently?:

I would prefer an entry that allows a run, a dive, then swimming. I would prefer no broken glass in the entry too...I heard a participant was taken out with a horrible cut.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I started in a time-trial fashion at number 289. It made for a crowded T1. I wasn't slowed much in the run up from the water to the bike, but I was held back behind a crowd while leaving T1 with the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 16.2 miles
  • 25.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Biked nice and strong. Happy to see a good average pace for a course with a constant stream of gentle rolls.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Great T2. Nothing slowed me down. I even slipped my shoes on easily without fumbling from lack of balance.
Run
  • 21m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

First run in new racing shoes. No hot spots, very comfortable. Didn't run as well as I expected.

Run faster! But how?
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked it off. Got in to the swimming pool to rinse off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably nothing.

Event comments:

Pretty good race. With all they did well, it's hard to complain...but the dangerous beach entry should be cleaned/groomed somehow. And the transition exit to the bike should be wider to avoid clogging with people.

Last updated: 2011-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:47 | 600 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/59
Overall: 147/779
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top/shorts
Course: rectangle. Straight out, turn left, turn left, straight in.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:15 | 16.2 miles | 25.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/59
Overall: 2/779
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was billed as flat and fast. It certainly was relative to Middle Tennessee where I usually race and train, but it was more rolling than I had expected from the race comments I'd seen. It stayed in the big ring the whole time, and in the saddle the whole time, but barely.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:46 | 03 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/59
Overall: 74/779
Performance: Average
Course: paved trail along the lake shore. nearly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Mountain Lakes Triathlon

2011-08-15 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3643949

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
Subject: RE: Mountain Lakes Triathlon
Nice race... superb bike split... I cut one of toes on glass during the water exit so I concur with your assessment!
2011-08-15 12:23 PM

User image

NH
Congrats on the win.  That's an amazing bike split.  Glad you didn't join the bloody foot brigade.
2011-08-15 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

That bike split is SICK!!  Someday..........someday?!?!?

Anytime an AG win happens you've got to be happy. 

The beach sounds like a nightmare!  I can't even imagine a RD that would knowingly allow that type of a liability for this kind of event.  Sounds to me like negligence and a very good chance for a lawsuit.  I can't think the liability waiver could even apply to something like that.  Hopefully those who were injured weren't injured too badly and can recover quickly.

2011-08-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3644657

User image

Master
DirkP - 2011-08-15 3:59 PM

That bike split is SICK!!  Someday..........someday?!?!?

Anytime an AG win happens you've got to be happy. 

The beach sounds like a nightmare!  I can't even imagine a RD that would knowingly allow that type of a liability for this kind of event.  Sounds to me like negligence and a very good chance for a lawsuit.  I can't think the liability waiver could even apply to something like that.  Hopefully those who were injured weren't injured too badly and can recover quickly.

Yeah - smokin' bike split.  I know the guy with the top bike split and I can't keep up with him, either. ;-)

As far as the beach entry I talked to the RD specifically about that.  They had issues with their last one here (Buster Britton) and she said they had three teams go in to clean up the entry/exit.  I think they got the exit, but not the entry.  I noted strongly that this needed to improve, as I pulled a mason jar out from the entry, along with several rocks.  So you're not the only one.

Odd for that group as they usually do a very good job with their tris.  Hopefully they will take some serious action here to lay down carpets or something for next year.

And as far as the bike entry you just need to lie better on your swim times to get to a less crowded slot in the race. ;-)

Edited by sand101 2011-08-15 4:15 PM
2011-08-16 10:28 AM

I was one of the ones to get a bad cut.  I am trying to put a picture on here, if anyone knows how, let me know, its saved on my computer as a jpeg file.  I cut the foot going in to the swim, had to be a broken bottle, i finished the course in 1:47 which was my first tri, had a goal time of 1:40 which was doable without the gash.  I spent about four minutes in T1 trying to stop the bleeding and get the debris out of the cut.  Ended up having four stitches and a tetnis shot for lunch!  My wife took a pic of the cut with stitches in the Dr office.  I sent the RD an email explaining my displeasure, I have not gotten a response.  But, to finish the race like that was a definite character builder!!

(Triathlon cut.JPG)

(Triathlon cut.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon cut.JPG (73KB - 25 downloads)
Triathlon cut.JPG (73KB - 24 downloads)

2011-08-24 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

You're awesome.  That's pretty much it.

Very impressive bike split.  You must be a former hockey player.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed