General Discussion Race Reports! » She Bangs Women's-Only Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

She Bangs Women's-Only Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wauconda, Illinois
United States
RAM Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was the little triathlon that almost wasn't. Woke up at 3:30 and ate half a bagel with an egg and a glass of chocolate soy silk. Got picked up by my tri-ladies at 4:30 AM and headed out, but made a pit stop at a Starbucks that didn't open until 5:30. We waited, got our coffee and left. We're running late at this point and then of course, murphy's law, we get lost. We circled the wrong lake for a couple minutes before firing up the GPS. Pulled into the parking area with 5 minutes to get chipped, marked, set up in transition, and on the shuttle over to swim out for our 6:30 wave.
Event warmup:

Rushing frantically over to the the race site. Slicing my finger open with a pair of scissors while trying to get my bike number affixed to my frame. Bled all over transition. Thank god for Sabrina remembering she had bandaids! Nabbed a shot blok before running off to the shuttle buses.
Swim
  • 33m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 04m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

No time to bother w/ the wetsuit so that may have slowed me down. I was comfortable most of the way except for my exploding bladder (no time to pee before the race). I stopped to help orient a girl who was lost b/c she didn't have contacts in and she almost started heading back to the marina... Got thrown off course when I swam around a drifting kayak and then couldn't see the turn point b/c of the sun. Whatever. The worst part was the water. It was clear as a broccoli smoothie. The weeds at the end were horrifying- it was hard to swim through them.
What would you do differently?:

Pee before the race like usual.
Transition 1
  • 06m 11s
Comments:

I STILL HAD TO PEE. Yes, I peed in the lake but that was not enough. Also it was a long haul from the swim to T1. And I had to reapply my bandaid to the gushing thumb wound.

Pee before the race and not chop off my thumb.
Bike
  • 50m 31s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The Olympic course people were already passing me at the beginning... and they started way after us. That's fine. It's nice when they all say "GOOD JOB!" when they pass me. If people didn't pass me, I wouldn't get so much encouragement so maybe that's my excuse for being slow. It was really neat watching those slick as snot guys on their tri bikes just fly past me up the hills. I felt a lot better on the bike about halfway through and was bummed it was over so fast. I may actually be better suited for Olympic races because of this- the first 20 minutes of anything is my "warmup" and I'm ready to rock just as the course is ending. For nutrition, sipped my Nuun water and took 2-3 margarita Clif Shot Bloks.

Get more speed on the downhills. I hate my bike. Bike envy is really starting to take hold.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I didn't pee at this transition!
Run
  • 40m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Negative split. Really plodding along at the beginning but punched it at the end. But guess what- I peed again at the halfway porta potty. Feeling totally incontinent during this race. The upside is that I think the extra sodium in the margarita shot blocks helped ward off any cramping- I was really comfortable the whole time aside from the bladder.

Three guesses.
Post race
Warm down:

Pancakes, some stretching, and then hopped into the car for a road trip to cheer on our Steelhead 70.3 friends in Michigan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bladder. Nervously chugging a grande bold 10 minutes before the race was a very, very bad idea.

Event comments:

My wave started about 5 minutes late but that was obviously to my advantage. Other than that, everything seemed to run smooth from my end. Wish the lake wasn't so gross.

Last updated: 2011-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:32 | 820 yards | 04m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Bike shorts & tank
Course: Point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:31 | 12.43 miles | 14.76 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Loop on country roads, guarded intersections but open to traffic otherwise. Some crumbly areas but mostly smooth. The hills were just right.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:17 | 03.11 miles | 12m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on pavement through the park and neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 10:26 AM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: She Bangs Women's-Only Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-15 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3644019

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: She Bangs Women's-Only Sprint Triathlon
Nice job getting through it.  Some of the bikes (and runners) could have been the duathletes too, we were out there before the Olympic tri guys, but once on the bike it'd be hard to tell the difference.  I remember talking with a few people at the end about this (all the girls being on the course already), one of them might be you.
2011-08-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3644184

User image

New user

Chicago
That's right, I completely forgot about the duathletes.  Whoever they were, totally inspiring!
2011-08-15 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
You are a riot!
2011-08-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3644373

User image

New user

Chicago

I probably broke the record of using the word "pee" in a single race report.  There is no shame in triathlon!

2011-08-15 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

Love the report!  Though I think I have to pee after just reading it

I was *this* close to signing up for this but didn't want to over do it with two in July and Chicago coming up.

Sounds like it was a success anyway, despite being lost, having to pee a million times and such.

Great read!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » She Bangs Women's-Only Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed