General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3747977

User image

Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread
3Aims - 2011-11-01 9:13 PM

Cavemann - 2011-11-01 7:52 PM I say overall the race was run well. With the exception of the diagonal RR crossings that should have been boarded over before the race, no other complaints. All the aid stations were well stocked all the way until the end. The weather left something to be desired (45 minute rain delay - couldnt even see the buoys). Was definitely windy, seemed like a forever headwind on the bike out. Not a particularly scenic or interesting bike course, but then again, if you're hammering it's not that important. Now that i've had the misfortune of trying IM perform or whatever it's called - man that crap is disgusting. If you could make a flavor that closest matched the smell of bug spray, they would hold a patent on it. 

I crashed on the first rail road track.  I took it dead on and did not turn my wheel at all and right when I was on top of it I totally flipped over.  That was bad.  Several of us went down.  I survived and finished, PR no less. 

I think my buddy saw your crash.  he was telling me about someone that crashed on the tracks that went over their bars. Glad you are ok.  I agree that the tracks should have been covered.  only other complaint is too many people for that course. 

2011-11-03 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3644610

User image

Veteran
Gahanna, OH

Here is the link for the pictures:

http://www2.brightroom.com/88887

I thought the race was good, the RR tracks were definitely a hazard!  I didn't understand why they routed us over those and didn't provide any carpet or anything.  It was a dangerous situation!  There was a lot of drafting going on too!  Never saw anyone in the penalty tents, so I am guessing they weren't carding anyone for violations on the bikes.  The wind and rain made both the bike and run difficult.  All the aid stations were generously supplied with a variety of food and drink.  

Overall, I had a good race and am happy with my performance for my first big event.  I will post a race report soon.

Sorry to hear about all the bike crashes and hope you guys heal quickly!

2011-11-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3796865

User image

New user

Allentown, PA USA

The drafting was really bad and so blatant. Several times one of those pace lines would come by and then they would cut me off almost taking my front wheel out. The RR X-ings and the food was really bad too. Rock-hard pieces of pork...yum! 

Despite those things I think it was well run event. Much better than my Pocono 70.3 event!

2012-05-14 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3894189

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

these comments are solid evidence that the IM franchise has been expanding and suffering the common growing pains.  i hear such horrow stories from new IM, 70.3 and also 5150s.  

WTC: hear us out and provide us with a good experience. We don't participate on these races for the medal, we do it because we have believed we'll get "The Experience of Our Lives"... 

If you can't deliver on that, then cut the price in half and move to the "average race/experience" line. while other up and coming innovators give us what we want.  

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Miami : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2