General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman State Park, New York
United States
New York Triathlon Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 52m 28s
Overall Rank = 74/129
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Had a terrible night sleep, but felt okay after some breakfast and coffee. Happy that the race is only 30 minutes from home. My goals before this race were:
1) pay attention to surroundings. My last/first race was a bit of a blur when done
2) bike fast, for me. My training rides are slow and fun, wanted to try to push it for 16 miles for a change.
Event warmup:

10 minute jog and some brief stretching.
Swim
  • 20m 53s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went fine. This was my longest OWS without a stop. I train with a bouy-on-a-belt on my rare OWS and take breaks when I feel it. There were waves of 100 but with so many no-shows, there were way fewer in each wave. I took it slow and paid atttention to sighting more.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a lot more. Next race is 1500 and I didn't feel like I could have done this course twice.
Transition 1
  • 03m

Bring a tupperware for rainy day transitions. Saw some other with them.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 6s
  • 16 miles
  • 14.52 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal to bike fast went right out the window on this one. I tried to move into easier gears earlier on hills by looking at the gear settings of everyone who passed me and I found this helped. But given the rain and my overall lack of bike fitness, I wasn't beating any land speed records. I did pass quite a few folks on downhills. I attribute this to
1) I was not being nearly as cautious in the rain as I promised my wife I would be, and
2) it seemed at lot of folks were coasting downhill when I was pedaling, not spinning but low power pedaling. It seemed like they all caught up to me on the uphills that followed and I don't know who was "right" but I plan to keep pedaling, at least on sprint tris. I can't imagine that I would regain too much energy by coasting for brief periods.
I revised my goal for this race (bike fast) when a big strong looking guy in a Zoot shirt and I passed each other twice, then he passed me for a final time, and with authority, about 5 miles from home. I told myself I'd show him the back of my shoes on the run. Then I made a game of "marking" the next 3-4 guys and girls who passed me to see them on the run. Not sure if I caught them all, but most, and definitely caught Zoot about a mile into the run.

I don't know. I just really like biking. Maybe I could stop bringing the rain with me to each race...
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I still ride in my running shoes. Not much to T2 so I ought to do it faster.
Run
  • 21m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fantastic on the run. Except for the first mile, when something in my head says "boo hoo" "something hurts" "you should stop". This generally goes away in around a a mile. I passed a few people then when I hit the turnaround and realized only 1.5 miles left I turned it up a lot and passed some more. I don't think anyone passed me on the run, but I am sure that if I swam and biked faster, lots of people would have passed me. For most of the run I had the tune from the Grateful Dead's "mission in the rain(?)" Stuck in my head. I slowed down near what I thought was the end to not pass a lady in front of me. I feel a little cheesy putting on the speed in the last few yards to pass someone. But then I realized there was about 1k left and got boogying. Cheesy or not, it's still a race I guess.
Given than the bike was shorter than the posted distance and I haven't run 7:20 miles in many years, I suspect the run might have been a little less than the 3.0 miles, but I don't care too much. I felt good and fast and at any rate, went faster than I do on the hilly trail I run on most of the time.

Listen to some fast tempo tunes before the race and make an effort to get them "stuck". Maybe some Old 97s or Drive By Truckers, anything but sad ballads from the Dead...
Post race
Warm down:

Got some dry clothes on and chatted with a family friend. She's an inspiring hard charger who took #3 overall female.

Event comments:

Well organized race and tons of fun. It would be a 5 in my book, but the roads suck a little for the bike.

Last updated: 2011-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:53 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 85/129
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: Lake Sebago out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:06 | 16 miles | 14.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 82/129
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: lots of turns and one u-turn. I got pretty confused. Also, as I've heard from others, this was a 15 mile course, not 16. I get my speed at 13.5/hr from my Polar CS300, which has proven itself acurate enough. this also makes sense given the wet condition and one long steady uphill to get up. The pavement kinda of sucks here. Not potholes that can be dodged but frequent depressions/lines spanning the whole road. It felt hard on my bike and my wet bumm. But at least all the turns were well marked and even the cops who were standing out in the rain were encouraging.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:37 | 03 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 40/129
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Triathlon Rss Feed