United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 47s
Overall Rank = 107/524
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

Nothing too exciting. Raisin Bran and PB toast, coffee for breakfast. Drove 4 miles to the race, got my transition spot, bodymarked, hung out and talked with friends doing the race. Lisa got to the race before I headed for the beach so got a good luck kiss and headed for the water.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards then waited for the horn. I was in the 3rd wave so the first swimmers were just hitting the beach when I started.
Swim
  • 27m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim for me. Pretty smooth water, felt good right from the start and was able to hold a good pace. Caught a few drafts, only had one temporary hiccup in sighting, then pushed the pace the last leg of the triangle course. It was nice having waves start 10 minutes apart as I didn't have too much trouble getting through swimmers from earlier waves like in past years. Swim time I listed here is about 30 seconds faster than the official race time. I stopped my watch when I hit the beach but the official time includes about 30 seconds running up the beach and toward transition before you cross the timing mat. Saw Lisa while I was running up the beach and got a high 5 from her! Gotta love my #1 cheerleader.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training. This was a PR for me at this race so I have to be happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I kept my own T1 time and it's about 30 seconds slower than my official time since I started it at the beach. Official T1 was 1:35 I think. Couldn't get my wetsuit off my heels so that slowed me down. Otherwise pretty uneventful.

Wetsuit off quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

This race bills itself as the "Scenic Challenge." It certainly is that. Starts out flat then there's about a 1/2 mile climb at around mile 5. A little more flat then a 3.2 mile climb that sucks the life out of bigger guys like me. The last 1/2 mile is the steepest and tops out at about 11-12% grade. Flat then a little downhill...went through the long curve at nearly 35 mph which was a bit of a white knuckler! 3 more good climbs then the long downhill where I got 49 mph. Luckily was out of the crowds by then so felt safe just letting it go on the downhill. Mostly flats back to T2. Good cheering sections coming back through town made it fun.

Just ride hills. 1 minute off my PR for this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Had a decent transition except had an issue with one of my shoe inserts that cost me a little time. No big deal.

Not much.
Run
  • 53m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where my race didn't go so well. First 1/2 mile I thought I was going to DNF as my back spasmed pretty bad for some reason. Never had that happen before so not sure. Kept going though and it calmed down and wasn't a factor the rest of the run. Still wasn't feeling all that great and just wasn't able to push the pace I had hoped. Got the 1 mile mark at about 8:48 so was able to pick up the average a little bit after that. Just one of those days. My son was waiting for me when I got off the road and hit the park. His cheering and encouragement helped me kick it up a bit for the last 1/3 mile.

Better run training and probably a little more nutrition on the bike. 30 seconds per mile slower than my last race here.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training.

Event comments:

Very good race with a tough, tough bike course. Transition was a mess without enough racks and some very rude people. All I can say is if you want a good transition spot get your lazy butt out of bed earlier! Don't come in late and expect me to be happy that you're parking your bike on top of my transitiion setup.
The official race results had me 3rd in Clydesdale but the announced winner had an amazing swim time of 8 minutes! Obviously he started with his regular age group, 20 minutes ahead of when he should have. His official time was figured on when he should have started instead. No big deal, although the guy that should have received the 1st place ribbon and bottle of wine is probably a bit upset if he's noticed this!
Overall good race, close to home, beautiful day...all good!

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 24/524
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Pro X 3
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:20 | 24.85 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/24
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very challenging course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/24
Performance: Below average
Course: Very slight uphill first half of the run then back into town on a very slight downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-16 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

2011-08-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3646066

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

Congrats... great race!  I figured you'd be on the podium and was going to say hi, but I was with family that had to leave so I couldn't stick around for the entire awards ceremony (which was taking forever).

You passed me on the bike a couple of miles before the cul-de-sac turn-around, you were flying - pretty sure it was you, your shorts have a notch cut out behind the knee?

Fun race.  My first time going further than a sprint so I was apprehensive about going too hard - but ended up having plenty left in the tank.  Still, there was no way I was going to compete - that age group has some pretty fast fellas.

2011-08-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3646116

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
PrivateIdaho - 2011-08-16 11:20 AM

Congrats... great race!  I figured you'd be on the podium and was going to say hi, but I was with family that had to leave so I couldn't stick around for the entire awards ceremony (which was taking forever).

You passed me on the bike a couple of miles before the cul-de-sac turn-around, you were flying - pretty sure it was you, your shorts have a notch cut out behind the knee?

Fun race.  My first time going further than a sprint so I was apprehensive about going too hard - but ended up having plenty left in the tank.  Still, there was no way I was going to compete - that age group has some pretty fast fellas.

Thanks.  Yeah, that was probably me, had to cut a notch in the elastic on the suit...kept making my hamstrings cramp up.  Must have been on a downhill if I was going past you...those hills hate me!   
Congrats again on a great race, especially since it was your first at that distance.  That's awesome.  And yeah, I keep thinking the older I get the easier the age groups are going to get...hasn't happened yet. 

Edited by Flyboy 2011-08-16 3:00 PM
2011-08-17 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Hey there, nice job out on Sunday!  I SO get the gravity thing on those big hills, but you powered right up them  to a fast bike split!  Sorry to hear about the back spasms (Unfortunately, right now I understand THAT too!) but glad to hear it worked itself out. 

And I would be happy wtih that run, remember it's all a matter of perspective!  And balance.  We do the training we can. 

Great race, Flyboy!

2011-08-17 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job Stan!! Glad to see you back at it.  I'd say that was a STELLAR RUN esp with all you ahve been thru!! Guess the hip is better
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon Rss Feed