General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Santa Cruz International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Cruz, California
United States
Finish Line Productions
Total Time = 2h 02m 5s
Overall Rank = 6/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

I slept in my car the night before the race. It was easy to get up and go because I was waking up every hour anyway. I would normally have oatmeal to fill up in the morning, but Wheaties Fuel worked out great since I didn't have access to hot water. Before my warmup I took 200mg of caffeine. After the warm up I had a package of Powerbar Energy Blasts with 25mg of caffeine.
Event warmup:

Little bit of swimming to get a feel for the water and then some bouncing around to keep my core temp up.
Swim
  • 22m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

All age group males started together in a single wave. I placed myself in the front but didn't bolt off the line to reach the water first. The race had pretty easy water to swim in. I felt like I was moving well, but could tell that a lead pack was moving ahead. I did a good job of following another swimming for the second half of the first lap through the end of the second. Starting the second lap is always a mental pain! I thought we were more middle of the pack, but looking at the results I guess we were somewhere off the back of the front and at the lead of the middle.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I like my wetsuit. I'll be looking into getting a new one to start next season.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

This time must not include the run to transition. Normally the run to the top of the beach seems long, but this race had us run up another city block. They recommended bringing flip-flops of shoes. I brought an older pair of run shoes and passed 2 or 3 people who didn't take the advice.
Bike
  • 59m 18s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 25.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Feeling like I was behind getting out of the water, I hammered the bike. The course was mainly flat, but had some twists along the coast that made it fun. Toward the end of my final loop I caught up to another rider that was finishing up. Since there was no one else in sight I decided to just hang behind him for the last mile.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

The dismount line was at the bottom of a hill. I slipped out of my shoes before the downhill and cross a leg over my top tube toward the bottom. When I jumped off my bike I must have also slammed on my front break. My bike bucked up like a bronco and I struggle to get it back down. Ran a little bit and noticed I lost a shoe. I stopped and yelled back, but a volunteer had already grabbed it and ran it over while I was at my rack. Timing mats were at the entrance and exit of T2. I had the fastest age group transition of the day.
Run
  • 38m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was an out and back on a coastal path that we were sharing with joggers, tourists, and dog walkers. It wasn't marked and I didn't have any other racers in sight, which gave it a weird feeling like I was just doing a fast training run while wearing a number. A couple miles in I started to see runners coming back in. I counted out my overall placement, but everyone was out of reach. At the turn around I saw that rider I had come into transition with was only a few strides behind. I kept my steady pace and he stayed behind for a while until deciding to put a move on with about 2.5 miles to go. I picked up with him for a bit, but he kept widening the gap on me. I talked with him at the finish and he said he knew he couldn't just get with me, but had to really go for it. And go he did.
Post race
Warm down:

Free massage and some food.

Last updated: 2011-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:59 | 1500 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: 2 Loops with short run on the beach between them.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:54
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:18 | 24.8 miles | 25.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Wind:
Course: I think my Garmin had my total distance around 22 or 23 miles, but there was a long serpentine road along the coast that could be measured to add distance or ridden well to cut distance. The course was four loops, which sounds like it could be annoying, but it wasn't crowded and the distance was long enough so that I never felt like I going in circles. The loops helped give landmarks for hydration.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:25 | 06.2 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Performance:
Course: Out and back along the coast, same street that bike course used.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-16 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Subject: Santa Cruz International Triathlon

2011-08-16 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3646371

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Santa Cruz International Triathlon
Congrats again Doug.  You rocked this race.  Can't wait to read about Vegas!
2011-08-17 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3646371

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Santa Cruz International Triathlon
Great job, good splits across the board.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz International Triathlon Rss Feed