General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » fat guy, but I tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-19 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: fat guy, but I tri

I ran my first tri this month. It was a local sprint. I'm hooked. I think I have fitness ADD and it lends well to Triathalons. I am a big guy 6'5" 270. I recently lost 60+ lbs. I have a long road still ahead of me. Although I don't look, or feel, like a "real" triathlete, I have enjoyed being welcomed into the sport. I don't have visions of ever really becoming great, but each stroke, pedal, and stride take me further away from my lazy overweight past. For now, that is why I tri. Thanks for the encouragement as you blow past. I'll try not to get in the way. See you out there.

TJ 

PS: I have a marathon, 2 Sprints, and one Olympic Tri scheduled for next year. YIKES! Better get to it!

2011-08-19 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3650534

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: fat guy, but I tri
Welcome. Once you completed that first triathlon you became a "real" triathlete!
2011-08-19 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Right on man!  There was another guy just like you in who competed in my first tri last month and he smoked the swim, completed the bike, and run... It was a very impressive performance.  Welcome to the sport of crazy people! hehehe

~Roland

2011-08-19 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Thanks Roland, I actually felt bad for an athletic looking 20 something that I passed on the run. She ran out of gas. (Good thing I run on diesel.) We sprinted together to the finish. I bet she has a little motivation for the next race after watching the tank roll by. Poor girl.
2011-08-23 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Fort Polk
I am happy for you whit your desire to better yourself, especially with this sport. I myself just got back into triathlon after a long break. I drive my wife crazy with the constant searching for gear reviews and keeping myself traveling around to various events, but I will be around much longer in life with this lifestyle! Keep up the motivation, andtell everyone it is never too late to get involved.Joe
2011-08-23 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Fort Polk
Best o luck next year competing.

Edited by archangeljwp 2011-08-23 11:26 AM

2011-08-23 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3650723

User image

New user

lol My husband has about 86 lbs on me and it always gets me when he can bike or run faster then me. All though recently I kicked his butt in a sprint to the car and was doing the victory dance. We went out on our mountain bikes the other day and I was struggling to keep up with him and he said he could maintain that pace for awhile so that was a little sad. I know I workout harder and eat better then him but men are just stronger. Hopefully with some new bikes and practice I can get him
2011-08-24 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Janet,   This was the first race where I beat my wife. She has kicked my butt at 5ks for 2 years. In our Tri we got out of the water together, but I pulled away on the bike. For me the bike is my strong point. Sounds like you two may be in the same boat. It's apples and oranges comparing us, but it makes for healthy competition. Smile   Enjoy your foray into the sport. Guess you will have to kill it on the swim and run!
2011-08-24 3:51 PM

User image

NH

Welcome to the sport addiction.  Great to hear your enthusiasm.  Now prepare to release all expendable income! 

And get a race report up there, it's an awesome way to track your progress and make sure you don't lose the memories.

2011-08-24 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

TJ, I'm right with you, I am 6'3" and was at 248 when I signed up for a HIM! I did my first sprint last summer and fell in love with the sport, but I think it mostly the people! Some of the best athletes and they are right there encouraging me and never judging!

I am starting all over again, 3 weeks before my HIM I developed a back problem and had to have surgery, fortunately I was able to compete in the Aqua bike, the Doc said no running. I am just now able to start working out again and look forward to next season, hopefully much leaner and maybe even a little faster?

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

2011-08-25 9:18 AM

User image

New user

TJ, I am very competitive so I will train hard and try my best. I have a lot of good reading material and of course the web is endless. If I don't beat him I will still have fun trying. I look at doing triathlons as new goals for my workouts. I love to workout so I can stay fit and health, but having a goal will help push me harder.  I agree with you on beating him in the race and water. Hopefully with a good tri bike and training I'll be able to beat him on the bike to some day :P

That is really great that you lost 60 lbs. The closer you get to you natural weight the better you will feel. 

Janet

http://janet-healthandfitness.blogspot.com/

2011-08-25 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Thanks Janet,

I still have about 30 lbs to go. I slowly added the weight and it is slowly coming off. It's a shame it ever got to where it did. Embarassed  My wife though is the hero. She has lost over 70. She would claim we did this together, but honestly I was following in her footsteps. Our sprint tri was on our 10 year anniversary and what a great way to celebrate. Stronger marriage, stronger bodies. I think I could make a triathlon commercial. hahaha

Happy training and enjoy the "healthy" competition.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » fat guy, but I tri Rss Feed