General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight traing specifically for tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-21 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3652579

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Weight traing specifically for tri
bscholes - 2011-08-21 12:44 PM
TriAya - 2011-08-21 11:31 AM
bscholes - 2011-08-22 1:22 AM
brigby1 - 2011-08-21 10:43 AM

bscholes - 2011-08-21 10:24 AM My other question is this: why does Paula Radcliffe devote two to five hours a day to strength training, core training and plyometrics?

By and large, there is usually something misquoted or misunderstood in something like this.  Where does this info come from?  I do remember a vid of Shalane Flanagan doing all kinds of exercises like stepping over hurdles and whatnot.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=5365

Paula Radcliffe's Journey from Disappointing Fourth to Dominant First

"One of the reasons Paula is the best in the world is her willingness to subject herself to rigorous hours of core exercises and plyometrics in the gym. Paula runs twice a day, and that may account for 1.5 to two hours of her day. On top of that she is spending between another two and five hours between her treatments, her stretching routine, her plyometrics, her core stability, and her strength training."

I'm not sure why you asked the question in the first place, but my answer would be like Fred already said of top pro triathletes ... she's already done and is getting everything she can out of running, and is in the extremely tiny percentage of runners who needs to look elsewhere for gains.

I guess I asked because I was getting the impression from some of the posts that many veterans thought strength training was useless for triathletes.

I guess what I'm hearing now is that it isn't useless but it's "icing on the cake" & you need to have the cake first.

This makes some sense to me. 

But I would just suggest that instead of everyone being so negative on it that you merely point it that any improvement it provides is ancillary and much less time-effective than actual s/b/r.  Yes, it's less specific and doesn't provide as direct a benefit as s/b/r.

That doesn't mean it's useless, does it?

In my case, for instance, I'm getting over Plantar Fasciitis.  I went to do some one-legged squats with my trainer and the leg with PF was clearly weaker.  I'm doing some strength exercises to correct the imbalance; I'm not certain that more running would correct that imbalance. 

If you read the article about Paula Radcliffe, she did some strength exercises to correct her head-bobbing.  That makes sense to me.  More running wouldn't just correct that on its own either.

What I'm saying is that there could be other reasons beyond just "getting faster" to do strength training.  Sure, Macca might not need strength training.  What about a 55 year old formerly sedentary woman who is just entering triathlon?  Some people might be lacking in pure functional required strength to begin with. 

Are we really saying that someone who is extremely lacking in core strength should just run more instead of doing core-specific exercises?

Most aren't really saying it's useless, just not an effective use of time because most people asking here on this forum don't need all that work.  Too often people will concentrate too much on these ancillary workouts, rather than the main issue of not enough endurance work in swim/bike/run.  The vast majority of people have other jobs and things they want to do with their lives, so have limited time and it isn't as useful to to these other activities.  By doing these extra workouts, they are taking time from their actual weakness of not enough endurance.

When someone actually has an issue that requires extra work, these same people commenting here will be all for getting it taken care of.  They are all for doing necessary activities to allow someone to train as much as they wish to.  I needed more flexibility to be able to run properly, hips were too tight.  Shoulders needed to loosen up to swim properly.  I did not spend 1-2 hrs a day stretching and doing  whatever else to address this.  I spend a few minutes after each session stretching them out and it's working.  That is all that's needed.

Usually someone asking about weights will look at doing 30-60 minutes of lifting exercises a few times a week.  That's a significant amount of time that could be used for s/b/r instead.  There are a number of exercises within s/b/r as well that can combine them together for short periods to work on some deficiencies as well.  It's not just s/b/r straight ahead all the time.  Doing a medley in swimming is a good way to work other muscles around the shoulder.

Edited by brigby1 2011-08-21 8:00 PM

2011-08-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3650824

User image

Regular
Eldorado, Texas
I use the weight training workout from trinewbies.com. I like it.
2011-08-21 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3650824

Regular
Raleigh

OK.....   deep breath....    I'll jump in.....

I have gone through the thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned age.   In my humble opionion if you are (like me) no longer in your 20s, 30s or 40s, the need to maintain muscle mass becomes significantly more important.   Yeah, yeah, you younger guys can mock, but you wait....  Smile

I certainly don't think "heavy" weights are in order, but in my opinion (and at my age) I think core strength and flexibility are a must.   The "balance point" changes as you get older.

Horses for courses.....

2011-08-21 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3652978

Elite
Denver, Colorado
JollyRoger - 2011-08-21 8:56 PM

I have gone through the thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned age.   In my humble opionion if you are (like me) no longer in your 20s, 30s or 40s, the need to maintain muscle mass becomes significantly more important.   Yeah, yeah, you younger guys can mock, but you wait....  Smile

I certainly don't think "heavy" weights are in order, but in my opinion (and at my age) I think core strength and flexibility are a must.   The "balance point" changes as you get older.

Horses for courses.....

I mentioned age, and I commend you for lifting. Weight training prevents both muscle loss and bone loss. I have been telling my mother for years that she needed to start weight training but she wouldn't listen, until her doctor told her she needed it. Now, at age 75, she lifts 2-3 times a week.

It's ironic because you usually young guys lifting in an effort to look better for the ladies, but it's the older crowd that needs to be lifting for health.
2011-08-21 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3652999

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
MikeTheBear - 2011-08-21 9:19 PM

Horses for courses.....

I mentioned age, and I commend you for lifting. Weight training prevents both muscle loss and bone loss. I have been telling my mother for years that she needed to start weight training but she wouldn't listen, until her doctor told her she needed it. Now, at age 75, she lifts 2-3 times a week.It's ironic because you usually young guys lifting in an effort to look better for the ladies, but it's the older crowd that needs to be lifting for health.
Old people can lift for the ladies too. :-)
2011-08-21 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3650877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Leegoocrap - 2011-08-19 12:45 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-19 1:29 PM

Leegoocrap - 2011-08-19 1:28 PM Must...make...Popcorn...

2 good LBS rants and now this! I was worrying about this forum slowing down, clearly I was wrong.

haha. Sadly this thread seems a bit low on life... needs a jump start.

I think Crossfit is the only way Triathletes will train in the future. Just like Taco Bell is the only place to eat.

I'm just here to say that I love Taco Bell...

That is all...

2011-08-21 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3653002

Elite
Denver, Colorado
tuwood - 2011-08-21 9:22 PM

MikeTheBear - 2011-08-21 9:19 PM

Horses for courses.....

I mentioned age, and I commend you for lifting. Weight training prevents both muscle loss and bone loss. I have been telling my mother for years that she needed to start weight training but she wouldn't listen, until her doctor told her she needed it. Now, at age 75, she lifts 2-3 times a week.It's ironic because you usually young guys lifting in an effort to look better for the ladies, but it's the older crowd that needs to be lifting for health.
Old people can lift for the ladies too. :-)

Yeah, but who wants to think about us guys over 35 trolling the clubs to get some strange?
2011-08-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3652635

Elite
Denver, Colorado
bscholes - 2011-08-21 1:55 PM

For the OP, here is a routine that Lance Armstrong posted on LiveStrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/lance-armstrong/video/5189-lance-armstrongs-strength-training-workout/5189/

That's a fairly decent, basic workout. I kind of like it. But what the heck was Lance doing with hips on the power clean?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight traing specifically for tri Rss Feed  

of 4