General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Tri Guy Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-20 2:27 AM

Subject: New Tri Guy

Want to get into Tri racing. Need some info from the Vets. I bike alot on mountain bikes, and pretty good with the swim part. Been an avid surfer for over 25 yrs. So i think i will be able to do the swim part without much trouble. Just dont have any run experience. Was wondering what would be a good shoe to get to get into running. Also was wondering if you can ride mountain bike in local events. dont really have the money to go out and buy a new bike since i just got my new giant mountain bike like 4 months ago. Any help or tips for getting started would be great. Thanks

Matt

2011-08-20 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3651696

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: New Tri Guy

Yay! Another surfer! Welcome to BT and triathlon ...

As for running shoes, you need to get specifically fitted for them at a specialty running store (not a general sports store). The employees there (try to get a knowledgeable experienced one who is a runner) will watch you run and recommend several types of shoes to try on that are designed for your gait and needs.

Remember to take it easy getting into running. Using one of the running training plans here is a good idea. Far too easy to build up too quickly, running too hard, and get injured. At this point most of your running should be at a 'conversational' pace; that is, you could hold a conversation while running if you needed to ...

Almost all races, you can use MTB. Check the rules for your local races, but the only ones I've heard of not allowing MTB are some HIM and iron distance races.

Good luck!

2011-08-23 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3651696

Subject: RE: New Tri Guy
Thanks for the info. I got some good shoes from an expert at a real running store. Not some punk kid who works at a chain sports store. Also went and watched a local sprint Tri in my area on Sunday. Got so very good info from some contestants while they were waiting on the beach to start there swim. I even got my girlfriend talked into doing training with me and eventually doing the next local event.Cool
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Tri Guy Rss Feed