Racine Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 39s
Overall Rank = 3/48
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30, got dressed, ate an orange, an egg, and some oatmeal. I headed to the race site, put air in my bike tires, and hustled to transition. I managed to get the second spot in, and with my bike facing the right way. After setting up, I visited the bathroom and met up with Sam and Tony.
Event warmup:

No warm-up for this one other than a swift walk back to the car. I was running out of time before the pre-race meeting. I had forgotten to take my rings off and bring my banana down to transition, so I speed walked back after the pre-race meeting, ate the banana, and just barely got my wetsuit on and got back down to the water before my wave was going in. I hate cutting things close like that!
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was pretty pleased with my time on this swim. There was a lot of vegetation in the water. It was a little disconcerting at first, but I just figured if I pulled harder through it, maybe it would propel me forward more. I kept reminding myself to stay strong in the back part of my stroke and to try to be fast and high with my arms over the water. I really like the left turn course - I felt like I stayed a lot straighter and I was right on top of each buoy, so I think I took the shortest path possible.
What would you do differently?:

I still need to learn to relax more. I found myself to be pretty tense still towards the end and probably working harder than I needed to. Other than that, I just need to keep working on my swim strength and keep building speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

My wetsuit came off really fast - I was very happy! 3rd fastest female, 2nd fastest AG (I was in the Open division, but I have just figured out overall female and AG rankings for the sake of my race report).

I might have been able to hustle a little bit more, but everything went really smoothly. I still need to learn how to jump on my bike "flying squirrel" style and put my shoes on on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 34s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I ended up pacing myself a little more than I needed to for this one. The first climb right out of the fort really took the wind out of my sails and I think I was a little discouraged by how slow I started out. I flew down the hill to the valley and then really didn't push hard around the loop in the valley. My resp. was pretty low and my pace was definitely comfortable. I thought about pushing it up a bit, but I wasn't sure how hard the long climb would be and I REALLY wanted a sub-50 run, so I decided to keep it easy. When I hit the long climb, I dropped into my lowest gear and just tried to keep my cadence up in a hard but sustainable effort. I passed several guys near the top and felt strong coming home. I used my cherry drink, two dates (about an ounce) and one gel. I had another gel, but didn't use it. I felt like I was eating and drinking the whole time.

I would probably try to find a happy medium and get a little more out of my bike leg without sacrificing too much on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

I was the fasted female for this transition. Everything went smoothly.

Nothing.
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

I just barely made my sub-50 goal. I felt pretty good starting out. I walked twice per loop on a couple of hills to try to recover a bit. I felt like I was able to keep a pretty quick cadence and I felt strong and consistent in my pace throughout. I carried some water and took a gel with me but didn't use it. I had a little kick to the finish but not much.

Just keep incorporating speed work and bricks so that my triathlon runs are closer to the pace of my running races.
Post race
Warm down:

I went right to my transition area and started to pack up. I drank a coconut water and a lot of regular water. I picked up part of a banana from the race food, but opted for my turkey/hummus roll-up for more protein and nutrition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I may have been a little weaker mentally than usual on the bike, but I'm not sure I would change my pacing strategy too much, especially with a run goal in mind. In the past, I have not worried too much about pacing on the bike to save something for the run, but I think that is ultimately a good strategy and good prep for my HIM.

Event comments:

This race was really well done. It seems to attract a somewhat less experienced crowd than the SetUpEvents races, for example. But Ken does an excellent job and it was a great experience. It was very well organized. The Open division prizes were nice engraved plaques, and the post race food included pasta and sandwiches. I would definitely look forward to doing this one again.

Last updated: 2010-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 5/48
Performance: Good
Suit: full Zoot wetsuit
Course: same 750m as the sprint race - lake swim, all left turns around bouys, then run across the beach, down the dock, jump back in and do it again
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:34 | 24.8 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Overall: 4/48
avg HR - 137, max HR - 159
Wind: None
Course: Up and over the mountain, down into the valley, around a loop, and back up over the mountain for a good 5 mile climb before a WAY TOO FAST drop back into the fort
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 4/48
avg HR - 146; max HR - 156; I felt like my HR should be much higher than it was. I felt like I was using up everything I had!
Course: two loop course through Ft. Ritchie; some hills but none of them were very long
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes