General Discussion Race Reports! » The Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Alexandria, Virginia
United States
Pacers Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 56s
Overall Rank = 809/3202
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/317
Pre-race routine:

What a morning!!! I overslept big time (by about an hour and a half) and wasn't sure if I could even make it to the parking lot in time. I woke up at 6:00 and the last bus was leaving at 6:45. I decided I would be miserable if I didn't try. I got from the bed to out the door in about 5 min. grabbing something to eat in the car. Good thing I had laid everything out the night before! I FLEW up to National Harbor and sprinted from the car to the bus. I managed to be the LAST person on the LAST bus to the start line. I couldn't believe it!
Event warmup:

Once I got to the starting area, the porta-pottie lines were sooooo long. I tried waiting, but gave up and just decided I'd have to use a porta-pottie somewhere on the course. I did some stretching and walking.
Run
  • 1h 53m 63s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My main goal here was to practice running a negative split. It was hard to stay slow in the beginning, and by the time I crossed the bridge, I had too much pain to finish very fast. This was probably a bad weekend to be doing this considering the rest of my race schedule.
What would you do differently?:

Not schedule a half-marathon the weekend after a half-ironman A-race. Set two alarms so that I don't have a heart-attack in the morning before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I had a bagel and walked around quite a bit. I got my dry clothes bag and took some pictures of the area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue and soreness.

Event comments:

Remember that this is a USATF race, so if you want to be competitive, start close(ish) to the start line. The finish line festival was okay, but not as cool as I had hoped. I would do this one again for the scenery and the location.

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:63 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/317
Overall: 809/3202
Performance: Average
10 mile split: 1:27:23 which gives me a 26:40 for the last 5K - not great, but I think the race distance was actually more like 13.3, so who knows how that really breaks down.
Course: The course was beautiful, starting off along the GW Parkway and the river, going over the bridge, and finishing along the water in National Harbor. It was relatively flat to begin with, but then a climb over the bridge and a much more significant climb after the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-20 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: The Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon Rss Feed