Bristow Triathlon and Swimming
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 16s
Overall Rank = 4/53
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had an orange, an egg, and oatmeal. Loaded up the car, and headed over to the race site. Racing 5 miles from home is nice!
Event warmup:

Did a short jog with Sam and some stretching. I felt like I should get in the pool, but didn't feel like getting wet and then cold before the race.
Swim
  • 06m 49s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I started out working a little too hard and got too out of breath. The guy behind me tapped my foot. When I stopped at the wall to let him pass, someone was right on his feet, so I let them both go. The next thing I knew, I was right on his feet. I guess the girl passed him and went on. I felt like he slowed down and I couldn't keep up my pace. Finally, in the wide lane on the last lap, I dove ahead of him and got out of the water in an ok time. I definitely seeded myself a little too high, but in the grand scheme of things, that probably helped me.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax more in the beginning and then gradually build my pace if I feel good, rather than flaming out so quickly without much benefit to all that effort.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

felt pretty good about this transition; set up with shoes on the bike, ran with bike well, stopped to hop on - still don't have the flying mount down; felt a little wobbly getting my feet into my shoes, but not too bad

keep practicing putting shoes on while riding; work on flying mount
Bike
  • 40m 16s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fast and fun course. It went by much more quickly than it felt on the day that I test-drove the course. At one point, I got stuck with a guy who I would pass on every down hill, but then he would pass me on every up hill. I think he was getting annoyed that I kept passing him, but I wasn't about to give up the speed that I had going down. I had to make up from my slow climbs somewhere! Eventually, he got ahead and kept going.

Just need to get fitter and get in some more long rides.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

I got my feel out plenty early and had a pretty good dismount. Alan was at the dismount area cheering for me. Good motivation!

Try to hop off of the moving bike and run into transition without slowing down so much.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I was surprised by my pace for the first mile. I figured as long as my breathing was under control, I would just try to hold what I could while I could and if I gave out before the end, oh well. My miles got steadily slower by about :30 each, but I made it, and I felt like I used up everything I had. All you can do, right?

Get fitter and loose some weight!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit, found Tony, and drank a bunch of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness and my extra lbs.

Event comments:

Overall, this was a pretty easy course, but considering how long I had laid off of training and how little I had done recently, this was a perfect chance to get out there and do something. I didn't expect to be competitive, but I guess since it was short and I was not dealing with the fatigue of a heavy season of racing and training, I was able to pull out a reasonable sprint. The race was very well run. I will look to do it again in the future for the fun and the convenience!

Last updated: 2011-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:49 | 328 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 21/53
Performance: Good
Suit: two piece tri suit
Course: left to right snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:16 | 12.75 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 2/53
HR monitor did not record data
Wind: None
Course: Roads were smooth except for Kennedy. I was glad I had ridden the course the week before so that I knew where the hills were and I shifted early to keep up my cadence.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 22/53
Performance: Average
Course: Gentle down hill going out and up hill coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes