General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim course marked incorrectly, wrong distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-20 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Swim course marked incorrectly, wrong distance?

How common is it that a swim course in a race gets marked incorrectly and the distance is off?

This morning's Olympic tri that I completed was a disaster of a swim, and it's the best I've ever felt while swimming.  No, really.  Standing on the beach several of us commented that the designated buoys that we were to swim around looked awfully far apart.  There was no current, very little wind and waves (lake swim) and like I said I felt the best I've ever felt on a swim, and I was 5 minutes slower than any other Oly swim that I've done.  In fact, I even won my age group for the swim portion of the race, at 30:41.  That's not an age group winning swim time. 

As far as the race goes, all of us were on the same course so no one really had an advantage, unless you're a strong swimmer.  Laughing  But I'm just a little bummed that I had such a strong race overall, yet not a killer swim time like I was looking forward to.

2011-08-20 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3652052

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Swim course marked incorrectly, wrong distance?
I don't think it's that unusual for swim course distance to be off somewhat--it's really hard to place buoys precisely, even using GPS.  Makes it hard to compare one race to another, but it's still fair as long as everybody in the race is swimming the same course.

You also need to consider where your swim time actually ends and T1 begins.  I've done races where it was a good quarter mile run from the beach to the transition area, and that whole distance was part of the swim split. 
2011-08-20 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Climbinggonzo - 2011-08-20 4:25 PM

How common is it that a swim course in a race gets marked incorrectly and the distance is off?

This morning's Olympic tri that I completed was a disaster of a swim, and it's the best I've ever felt while swimming.  No, really.  Standing on the beach several of us commented that the designated buoys that we were to swim around looked awfully far apart.  There was no current, very little wind and waves (lake swim) and like I said I felt the best I've ever felt on a swim, and I was 5 minutes slower than any other Oly swim that I've done.  In fact, I even won my age group for the swim portion of the race, at 30:41.  That's not an age group winning swim time. 

As far as the race goes, all of us were on the same course so no one really had an advantage, unless you're a strong swimmer.  Laughing  But I'm just a little bummed that I had such a strong race overall, yet not a killer swim time like I was looking forward to.

Everything I have read and heard suggest this is the norm. Hard to measure accurately I would assume, even with GPS.

30:41 might win some age groups-congratulations

2011-08-20 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I would agree that marking a swim course is difficult, and weather conditions can screw up the best laid out course.

For those of you old school enough to remember the United States Triathlon Series back in the '80s, the Houston races in 1985 and 1986 had the same 1,500 meter swim.  But a big storm blew through the night before the 1986 race. 

We were standing on the shore, looking at the turn-around fireboat thinking WOW that looks a helluva lot further than it did yesterday.  But nothing was changed and they started the pros, then everyone else 10 to 15 min later (this was the days before wave starts).

It felt like we swam forEVER! turns out we did as far as I was concerned. I'd never swam over 1600 yds at the time I think.  My time for that swim was SLOWER than my IM swims.

Scott Tinley won the race in 1985 with a swim split of 19:47.  Dave Scott won in '86 with a swim split of 38:12.  That's right, 38:12 for a legend to swim 1.5k

Turns out the turn-around boat was blown off its anchors. They had to know, but did nothing about it. But we all swam the same course  

They never did tell us how far we swam. THAT's what I wanted to know!  lol

And no, my memory isnt that great, I still have the results books from the races
2011-08-20 6:56 PM

User image

Climbinggonzo - 2011-08-20 5:25 PM

The oddity is when the distance is actually correct. Everyone wonders what they did wrong.

Even the same course on different years probably has a slightly different measurement.

Don't worry about it. Measure against other people in the race and not "what you should have done."

Another thing to consider is where the timing mats are. Sometimes you can have up to a quarter mile run before you get to the "swim stop" timing mat. Some places add the T1 time to your swim time.

2011-08-20 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
What made it worse is that the course was also very poorly marked.  For a 1.5k swim, they had 4 buoys out there.  Two in a strait line to the first corner, two over to the next corner, then make a 270 degree turn around that last buoy and swim back to the beach.  You couldn't see the farthest buoy once you made the first turn, and apparantly 6-7 guys turned at the middle bouy.  Not sure how they caught up to them to tell 'em they needed to turn around and go all the distance.  And on top of that, the lake has a severe weed problem and the 2/3rds of the swim was in water less than 4 ft deep, so my hands were either hitting the bottom or grabbing weeds the entire time.  Too bad, because I crushed my PR at tht distance on the run and bike, had the swim been in order I would have beat my best Oly time by 15 minutes.

2011-08-20 7:26 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Yeah, pretty common to be off.  I did an Olympic last weekend and my time was 31 mins which is about 9-10 mins slower than normal and I was second out of the water.    Mind you we had some wild waves and current to go with it.  It was two loops and I think by the time I got around for the second loop, the buoys had moved making it even longer!
2011-08-20 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Climbinggonzo - 2011-08-20 4:25 PM

More common to be off than to be on, in my experience.

2011-08-21 5:58 AM

Bedford, NH, USA
Yeah. I came out on my last Oly at a 2:18 pace, which is my cooldown pool pace. The fastest time in a field of 600 was a 1:40 pace for the Sprint waves, so it had to be off.
2011-08-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3652343

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

MaverickNH - 2011-08-21 3:58 AM Yeah. I came out on my last Oly at a 2:18 pace, which is my cooldown pool pace. The fastest time in a field of 600 was a 1:40 pace for the Sprint waves, so it had to be off.

In my limited first year experience with triathlons, it seems all of the event distances can be off.  In my first triathlon, a sprint, it was advertised as 800m, but my partner's Garmin measured 930m-ish.  Meanwhile, last month's sprint was also advertised at 800m, but someone finished the swim in 7 minutes flat. 7 minutes, really?   In looking over the course before the race, I could see it was short because there is a 150m swim lane set-up for daily lap swim out at this lake.  Using that 150m lane as my guide, it appeared the triathlon course was 150-200m (or more) short.  In the same race, the bike course ended up 1.25 miles short, and due to non-existant course markings for the sprint race, all sprinters ran the 10k route with the Oly distance triathletes.  So, yeah, I'd say the triathlon courses are not always as advertised. 

Edited by betyoursilver 2011-08-21 11:27 AM
2011-08-21 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett, WA
It's pretty common. I was at an Olympic triathlon yesterday where the first swimmer entered transition (a good 100yds from the water) with a time of 12:06. Since the WR is 14:34, I figure the distance was probably wrong...but there were a LOT of folks who were very happy with their swim splits at the end of the day.

2011-08-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3652101

User image

Extreme Veteran

glf33 - 2011-08-20 5:51 PM I would agree that marking a swim course is difficult, and weather conditions can screw up the best laid out course.

For those of you old school enough to remember the United States Triathlon Series back in the '80s, the Houston races in 1985 and 1986 had the same 1,500 meter swim.  But a big storm blew through the night before the 1986 race. 

We were standing on the shore, looking at the turn-around fireboat thinking WOW that looks a helluva lot further than it did yesterday.  But nothing was changed and they started the pros, then everyone else 10 to 15 min later (this was the days before wave starts).

It felt like we swam forEVER! turns out we did as far as I was concerned. I'd never swam over 1600 yds at the time I think.  My time for that swim was SLOWER than my IM swims.

Scott Tinley won the race in 1985 with a swim split of 19:47.  Dave Scott won in '86 with a swim split of 38:12.  That's right, 38:12 for a legend to swim 1.5k

Turns out the turn-around boat was blown off its anchors. They had to know, but did nothing about it. But we all swam the same course  

They never did tell us how far we swam. THAT's what I wanted to know!  lol

And no, my memory isnt that great, I still have the results books from the races

I was at that race.  I had heard they used Cinder blocks to anchor the markers.  The silt on the bottom is so dense and slippery, the Cinder blocks were able to be tugged along by the wind and the waves hitting the markers.  The turn around was just chaos and mayhem.   The whole group of swimmers just turned around into each other and a mass of swimmers ran into each other.  By the time my wave went you had to almost completely traverse the lake.

If you have the results I was Neil V in the 25-30 range.  I finished the swim in over an hour.  The bike course on that route was pretty darn windy as well.  The run thankfully went through the neighborhood.

2011-08-21 4:23 PM

New user

I was at that race as well, in the sprint.  I think the sprint swim was long as well - the times for this year's finishishers are significantly longer than the last two years.

It was my first triathlon, and while I loved the sport, I thought the event was okay.  The reeds were terrible in the lake.  I also wished there was some food available right at the end, with the water.  Bananas, a bag of pretzels, something.. 

Overall I had fun and am anxious to do another tri.  My run sucked due to IT band issues, so if I can resolve that I will be thrilled!

Congrats on your great swim!

2011-08-21 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3652715

User image

Expert
Northern VA

We were in the same age-group.  But you finished 14 out of 157 in our age group. And I was, ummmm wayyyyyy down the list.

And FYI, you were UNDER 1 hour for the swim - 59:45. Nice job ... way back when  lol

2011-08-22 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for looking it up.

Back to the original poster:  Yes they are sometimes incorrectly marked. 

2011-08-22 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

From my experience it's pretty common. I've had Oly's take me anywhere from 22 minutes to 29 minutes (much more like it) . Also, one half I did, there was such bad fog during the swim that first of all I'm surprised they let us out there, but one of the buoys drifted off without anyone on the race staff noticing until way too late - that added 800 meters to the course, quite a PR killer. 

The good news is that everyone's swimming the same incorrectly-marked course, so it all evens out in the end. I'll take a short or long OW course over a pool any day

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim course marked incorrectly, wrong distance? Rss Feed