General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
hotF / 0C
Total Time = 2h 53m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, showered, dressed, made a toasted peanut butter bagel for me and runningflyr. Loaded bikes and headed out.
Event warmup:

Quick swim in the lake.
Swim
  • 21m 26s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was surprisingly cool which made me happy so that way I wouldn't overheat. The swim was good until the last 500 yards or so when I swam into a bunch of not only the Mini clydes but the sprint clydes too and it was like a washing machine, I got kicked, punched, elbowed and clawed at. I started throwing my own elbows, oh wait, I might have when some ginormas mammoth tried to swim over the top of me after grabbing one of my legs and pulling me backward. Other then that it went well, and I felt comfortable, even in the washing machine. The swim itself was probably faster then the listed time because the hill from the lake to transition was long and steep, seriously I thought the transition at Deer Creek was long, it's got nothing on buck creek.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming more often may help.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Amazingly my wetsuit didn't get stuck this time and Mike (Tri Dad) was in transition yelling at me to hurry up as he was sauntering out of transition - the best part, the announcer called Tri Dad out for sauntering.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 22m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike we all know is not my strongest, especially considering the lack of training that I have put in on the bike so I'm actually pretty pleased with this bike result. This is a good average pace and if I can hold this for Rev3 I'll be excited. The hills weren't too bad and I made my bike work for me and about half way through I remembered, duh, you can stand up and climb hills, it's way easier that way. I had a couple of exchanges with Tri Dad as we leap frogged throughout the course which was fun. Turns out Runningflyr caught me in the last half mile - although I didn't even know he was there. The only other notable thing about this bike ride was that I had to pee the entire ride! I was devastated to reach the bike aid station and NOT see a porta-potty. Because I had to pee so bad I didn't want to drink much, this would end up wreaking havoc on my run, that and having to stop and pee right out of transition from bike to run - oy vey.

Simple, bike more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

It's T Time

Nada

Run
  • 1h 05m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

And this is where it all fell apart. As I mentioned I had to stop right after coming out of transition, this I believe was the beginning of the down fall - so to be fair my run time does include a 2 minute stop to pee in which the peeing part took long enough as it was but then I was wrestling to try and get TP off the role - nightmare - but because I stopped for so long that didn't help anything. Also because I had had to pee the entire time on the bike I didn't drink hardly anything and was able to stomach a gel but by the time I hit the run I was really hot and really thirsty. I watched three ladies in my AG pass me on the run and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I ended up walking two of the aid stations and walked for another 30 second stretch on the way back. Like I said, the wheels came off and I feel apart. A Far cry from where I was last year when I raced a mini.

I think I need to pay attention to my nutrition more closely, I was definitely underfueled and underhydrated and felt like I was going to pass out at the end. Additionally, it seems that I have lost my running mojo. I think I have some type of mental block or something, even in training I'm having a hard time getting sub 10 minute miles. This run was a mental defeat and that makes it even worse. Hopefully this doesn't do too much damage to my already fragile running psyche but I'm not promising - this was a disaster.
Post race
Warm down:

Posed for some pictures with Runningflyr at the request of his Mom who was here visiting for the weekend from out of town.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor Mental Toughness and Lack of Training.

Last updated: 2011-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:26 | 1094 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Length
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:53 | 24.85 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Single Loop
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:53 | 06.21 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Single Out and Back through the Park with a nice hill climb right at the end
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon

2011-08-22 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3653492

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon

you can only pee on yourself in the water - it is a law somewhere I am sure - I am glad you made the right decision and held it despite any damage it caused your race time.

You have the run base - you just need some mojo - you will find it in 20 days

2011-08-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3653492

User image

Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon
This doesn't look like someone that lost her mojo... just sayin'... SBRL  Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Triathlon Rss Feed