General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Red - Jekyll Island Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-22 10:00 AM

User image

Watkinsville
Subject: Tri Red - Jekyll Island

Anyone familiar with with race?  Coming up in October on Jekyll Island.

http://www.drcsports.com/RACES/Tri-Red.html

Thanks,

Robert

???

2011-08-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3653509

User image

Veteran
Peachtree city, GA
Subject: RE: Tri Red - Jekyll Island
amzingly well run, excellent awards as well!!!! do it if u can
2011-08-22 4:19 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga

Basically a fall version of the Turtle Crawl Sprint race. Wetsuit legal. Fun fall race. Every year they say they are going to do it on SSI but for some reason they cancel it due to 'construction'. Which is odd, as there is more construction currently on Jeckyll than SSI.

2011-08-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3654335

User image

Master
Winder, GA
jlbyce - 2011-08-22 5:19 PM

Basically a fall version of the Turtle Crawl Sprint race. Wetsuit legal. Fun fall race. Every year they say they are going to do it on SSI but for some reason they cancel it due to 'construction'. Which is odd, as there is more construction currently on Jeckyll than SSI.

Agreed. Jekyll Island is an awesome location for a race but there is a lot of construction going on so I'm not sure what they'll do about the roads. I was there in late April (so a lot may have changed) and a whole section of the main roads was closed.

I've done a DRC Sports race and it was very well run. I would not hesitate to do one of their races again but 99% of their races are in Florida.

2011-08-23 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3654934

User image

Expert
autigers_1998 - 2011-08-23 8:35 AM
jlbyce - 2011-08-22 5:19 PM

Agreed. Jekyll Island is an awesome location for a race but there is a lot of construction going on so I'm not sure what they'll do about the roads. I was there in late April (so a lot may have changed) and a whole section of the main roads was closed.

I've done a DRC Sports race and it was very well run. I would not hesitate to do one of their races again but 99% of their races are in Florida.

For Turtle Crawl, They did a "C" for the Olympic instead of two loops around the island due to the construction (and transition was in a different location further up the beach).

Tri Red is just a sprint distance, right? Putting a sprint and Olympic on a course that was no longer simple loops was a slightly scary thing as they had to turn left (to make a shorter loop) in front of returning Olympic distance cyclists....and no one really seems to like to yield during a race.  There were no accidents that I'm aware of though.  

Other than that logistics issue, it was a great and well run race.  My boys LOVE the Sea Turtle Center (and the poor person who gets stuck in the Scoot costume).

2011-08-23 8:37 AM

New user
Savannah, GA

This is the 3rd year for the race. The first year it was on St Simons, then last year they moved it to Jekyll because of a conflict with a golf tournament or something like that. It as GA Multisports who put it on the last two years, but they dropped both the Turtle Crawl and Tri Red this year. I think the Jekyll Island visitor center decided to continue the races, and teamed up with DRC. For this one, the Red Cross has also participated in planning it all 3 years.

It's a fun race and a good cause. I did it the last two years, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it this year - we just had a new baby so fall plans are on hold for now.

2011-08-23 7:13 PM

User image

Watkinsville

Thanks for all the information.

2011-08-23 7:24 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga
I agree the that the Turtle Crawl bike was kind of a cluster this year. I did the olympic and when I saw the peeps doing the sprint turning in front of me, I was sort of taken aback.
2011-08-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3656204

Roswell

jlbyce - 2011-08-23 8:24 PM I agree the that the Turtle Crawl bike was kind of a cluster this year. I did the olympic and when I saw the peeps doing the sprint turning in front of me, I was sort of taken aback.

+1

I did the olympic as well.  When I was going by the turn off for the sprint, there was a line of bikes turning in front of me.  Managed to make it through unscathed, but it was a bit scary.

2011-10-11 8:52 AM

User image

Watkinsville

I participated in this race this past weekend.  Probably not the best "1st timer" experience, but I had fun. 

Weather was terrible.  Heavy winds coupled with a tide going out equaled a cancelled swim replaced by a 1 mile out and back beach run.  Winds continued to make the bike and final run interesting in places.  Predicted rains held off until later that day, so I guess it could have been worse.

Race seemed to be run well, people were very friendly.  Thanks to the BT website, I think I avoided many first timer pitfalls!

Finished middle of the pack and willing to participate in another race.  This time, hopefully with a actual swim.

Robert

2011-10-14 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3718977

User image

Alpharetta, GA
wegl92 - 2011-10-11 9:52 AM

I participated in this race this past weekend.  Probably not the best "1st timer" experience, but I had fun. 

Weather was terrible.  Heavy winds coupled with a tide going out equaled a cancelled swim replaced by a 1 mile out and back beach run.  Winds continued to make the bike and final run interesting in places.  Predicted rains held off until later that day, so I guess it could have been worse.

Race seemed to be run well, people were very friendly.  Thanks to the BT website, I think I avoided many first timer pitfalls!

Finished middle of the pack and willing to participate in another race.  This time, hopefully with a actual swim.

Robert

Great job!  I was there on Sat. racing and really felt for the 1st timers who were looking forward to a triathlon.  The conditions sucked big time, and I had a fever of 101.6.  I didn't even bother to take my Garmin with me on the run (left it on the bike).  I felt gross.

I've raced at Jekyll many times.  I really recommend the Turtle Crawl in May if you can do it.  It's a fun place to race and if they time the swim right it is usually very, very fast.  It's the only truly flat course I'll make the time to race/schedule (I'm a hill gal).

Andi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Red - Jekyll Island Rss Feed